Thirty-Three additional proofs of the One True Catholic Church; the Thirty-Three Doctors of the Church

Thirty-Three additional proofs of the One True Catholic Church; the Thirty-Three Doctors of the Church, not just because they were Saints and extraordinary Christians but because of what they said and wrote, in order to help define Christianity and to help us all grow closer to Christ. Whether you realize or not, as a Christian you have been directly or in-directly affected by these people. If you have not read any documents by these Saints, I suggest that you do, both Catholic and non-Catholic. Here is the link to -Two Thousand Years of Catholic Writings

33 Doctors of the Church

1. St. Albert 11/15
  2. St. Alphonsus Liguori 8/1
    3.St. Ambrose 12/7
  3. St. Anselm 4/21
  4. St. Anthony of Padua 6/13
    6.St. Athanasius 5/2
  5. St. Augustine 8/28
  6. St. Basil 1/2
  7. St. Bede, the Venerable 5/25
  8. St. Bernard of Clairvaux 8/20
  9. St. Bonaventure 7/15
  10. St. Catherine of Siena 4/29
  11. St. Cyril of Alexandria 6/27
  12. St. Cyril of Jerusalem 3/18
  13. St. Ephraem of Syria 6/9

(Continued on next post)

33 Doctors of the Church (continued)

1. St. Francis de Sales 1/24
  2. St. Gregory Nazianzus 1/2
  3. St. Gregory the Great 9/3
  4. St. Hilary of Poitiers 1/13
  5. St. Isidore 4/4
  6. St. Jerome 9/30
  7. St. John Chrysostom 9/13
  8. St. John Damascene 12/4
  9. St. John of the Cross 12/14
  10. St. Lawrence of Brindisi 7/21
  11. St. Leo the Great 11/10
  12. St. Peter Canisius 12/21
  13. St. Peter Chrysologus 7/30
  14. St. Peter Damian 2/21
  15. St. Robert Bellarmine 9/17
  16. St. Teresa of Avila 10/15
  17. St. Therese of Lisieux 10/1
  18. St. Thomas Aquinas 1/28

Please tell me what think.

St. Ambrose is the first Doctor of the Church and called the Pastoral Doctor.

Ambrose (340-397)

John Damascene is an interesting read because, contrary to what some historians have claimed, Thomas Aquinas didn’t write the first refutation of Islam from a Christian perspective. John Damascene, who lived in Damascus and worked for Muslim courts in the 8th century or so, wrote a little bit about Islam from his research and dialogue with Muslims. You can read what he said of it here.

Basil the Great is likewise a good read because of his work on the Holy Spirit, giving proof for His divinity as well as His co-existence with the other two Persons in the Trinity. His book “On the Holy Spirit” is available in English, and is probably one of the best works on the Trinity (and the importance of it) that I’ve read.

This would probably be my short list (in alphabetical order). Although, now that I have the list and links here, I may change my mind.

St. Ambrose 12/7
St. Bonaventure 7/15
St. Catherine of Siena 4/29
St. Francis de Sales 1/24
St. John of the Cross 12/14
St. Teresa of Avila 10/15
St. Thomas Aquinas 1/28

I’ll have to go and check it out. Thank you for your post.

One of my favorite Saints is [size=2]St. Anthony of Padua 6/13 . Although, other than his life, I haven’t read much of what he wrote.[/size]

[size=2]It’s interesting that the number of Doctors of the Church, 33, is the number of years that Christ lived.[/size]

Pfft. St. Anthony the Great is better. :cool:

I kid of course. My name is Anthony in real life, so I might be biased to both of them. :stuck_out_tongue: St. Anthony the Great’s life is a good read, if anything to find out what life in early monasticism was like. It’s written by a doctor of the Church - Athanasius. :smiley:

Of the 33, I have no problem with any of them except Cyril Of Alexandria.

Cyril is a Doctor exclusively for his influential writings. Aside from that, he was an Anti-Semitic bully and political intimidator par excellence who regularly insprired mobs to browbeat political/religious opponents into “submission.”

Let’s not forget also that he is “best remembered” for his alleged provocation and “allowing” of the murder of Neo-Platonist Philosopher Hypatia in 415 A.D. Although he was not part of the mob that brutally murdered her, he was almost certainly one of the “inspirations” for the execrable deed. Did nothing to stop it.

Not saying he should not be a Doctor of the Church—his theological writings ARE influential—just that as far as his personal legacy is concerned, his has a black mark on it for all posterity.:frowning:

MY favorite doctors, BTW, are blessed St. Francis Of Sales and holy St. Catherine Of Siena. :thumbsup:

Here is what the Catholic Encyclopedia says about him.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.