This doesn't make sense re Bible text

I remember enough to tell you what certain priests said.
I remember what the director of religious education said in my class when I was in the 7th grade when she couldn’t get a substitute teacher.

I remember the meaning and one priest had a knack of repeating some of his homilies. That could be how Jesus spoke to the crowds in different cities.

And it’s a good question.

You could go even farther with it. Who decided the original texts would be written in Greek? Yes People at the time spoke Greek. And Yes people of the time spoke Latin.

However

There is no evidence Jesus spoke either. When Jesus was specifically quoted, He spoke in Aramaic.

As languages grow, so does the meaning of words expand, to fit growth in a words usage as time moves on… Greek language included

Example:

Lk 14:
26 “If any one comes to me and does not hate μισέω his own father and mother and wife and children and brothers and sisters, yes, and even his own life, he cannot be my disciple.[b]

SO

The Greek Is hate μισέω One could ask, is that a valid Greek translation of whatever word Jesus actually used in Aramaic?

AND

Does Jesus really mean hate, or does He mean love less, esteem less, etc?

I personally rely on the answer(s) provided by, the only Church that is there FROM the beginning before anything was written down, and is still here today. … The Church built on Peter and those in perfect union with Peter. THAT is the Church Jesus gave all His promses to. :sunglasses: :+1:

Just sayin

Because if the Gospels had the certitude of modern journalism, faith could not develop. God is of course wise. He could have spoon fed us the Gospels. And we would still reject him.
We need the virtue of faith so that we can bear the weight of human existence with all it’s uncertainties.

1 Like

Jesus is seen to be preaching and teaching in the Decapolis. Are you suggesting that He spoke Aramaic exclusively there?

While the sign over His head on the cross was written in 3 languages, Hebrew, Latin, and Greek, https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=John+19:19-21&version=RSVCE

Re: the language Jesus spoke, What we know is,

When Jesus was directly quoted He spoke Aramaic. https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=mt+27%3A46&version=RSVCE

1 Like

I kind of suspect that Jesus’ sermons were probably repeated by him in different places. Kind of like political speeches are done over and over for different audiences. His disciples would have heard them multiple times and had the opportunity to memorize them

And memories vary in the detailed accuracy they lend to events, and the color the individual gives those memories, and the importance the individual attaches to various facets of the memories.

Key thing:
before the written Gospels is decades of oral Tradition.

True,

AND

The end of John’s gospel speaks volumes.

Jn 21:
25 But there are also many other things which Jesus did; were every one of them to be written, I suppose that the world itself could not contain the books that would be written.

I think it safe to say, that could also go for what He also said.

1 Like

Opens up an every deeper mystery, which is to say a coming to know His life. That mystery draws us to Him through His Church. Just the same as in His day we depend on the Church as His Body. Includes the Scriptures and all else.

True

Since Both verbal and action, is so voluminous from Jesus, John says that if EVERY bit of it was written down, the world could not contain the books that would be written.

Ergo, the only reliable source for such info, is from Our Lord’s Church that HE established.

1 Like

It’s been addressed and answered…

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.