This doesn't really belong in this forum, but

I spend most of my time here reading and really like some of you, so I ask this request of all of you.

I decided to convert to the Catholic faith last year about this time, but I am just this year attending RCIA and God willing, entering the church next Easter Vigil.

My wife is of the Charismatic/Pentecostal/Word of Faith(Benny Hinn, Kenneth Copeland, Jesse Duplantis) world and was very much against me entering the Church at first. When I started RCIA last month, she decided she would attend to get a better understanding of the faith because she has always been taught Catholics are not Christian and the pope is the antichrist, you know the usual stuff. Now, just three classes in, she is becoming convinced of the truth the church teaches and told me she will enter with me next Easter.

I ask you with all sincerety to pray that she finish what she has started now and that she not be discouraged by what her church tells her.

Thank you all.

Prayers are already on their way. How wonderful for you and your wife!

Add my prayers in too. God bless you and your wife and may you both have the joy of coming home to the Church Easter Vigil 2006. I truly believe the Church speaks for itself by inspiration of the Holy Spirit. Once your wife sees for herself that the Church is the Church Christ founded, Hinn, Copeland, Duplantis, and co. won’t stand a chance! :smiley:

Jesuslov:

May Christ reveal to you and your wife His bride, the church.

I would highly recommed to you to get the Theology of the Body Naked Without Shame by Christopher West in cd format. You and your wife will enjoy this tremendously as you do your RCIA.

God bless your marriage and hopeful entrance to the Catholic Church.

in XT.

You can count on being remembered in my prayers as well. Please feel free to let me or any of us know if we can help in any way at all!

A VERY good investment at this point: Beginning Apologetics Series

Pax tecum,

• will happily add my prayers for you and your wife, jesusluv! * :slight_smile:

Thank you for your prayers.

Me personally, one of my closest friends made a terrible “mistake” in July 2004 by deciding to join the dredded Roman Catholic Church. Since I cared for him, I decided it was my job to “save” him from the whore of babylon he was deciding to enter. I figured the best way to defeat this enemy was to learn the true teachings of it first. Wow, once history came into the picture, I was defeated, lol. My last hope was in my pastor at the time. I asked him what his opinion of those Catholics were and he said “well, if you want to worship idols, go ahead”. That statement stopped me in my tracks. I had always thought you guys worshipped Mary and statues. I had to know if it was true and then my Mary wall was broken down after seeing the Passion on dvd and really seeing a Catholic view of Mary and not what I thought the Catholic view was. Then I found out you guys didn’t worship statues, it was basically a 3d photo of members of the family. I certainly didn’t worship pictures of my grandmother that has passed on, so that wall came down as well.

My last problem was the pope, what was so great about him? Scripture tore me up on that one with Peter getting the keys etc. Now, I’ve had a year of study and this site has really helped me learn a ton. I’m thoroughly convinced this is the church Christ set up.

My wife is not completely convinced on this, but what has gotten her is the fact that every question or “problem” she has with the Catholic faith has a very thorough explanation where we can take similar questions to her church and get a very vague answer that barely has anything to do with the question. That scares her. Now, thinking all Catholics were going to hell and weren’t christian has been drilled into her head for at least the last 20 years so she is still nervous and a little scared to join the church, and that is really what I need the prayer for. I figure you guys would better know which saints would intercede in this situation and things like that.

On the contrary… I think it very much does belong here. :thumbsup:

Wow, what a cool story.
God bless you jesusluv and your wife is in my prayers.:blessyou:

I will be more than happy to pray for you and your wife along with all who are searching for the truth. I also hvae an update my husband who I have written about before, for a shorter version, I have been married ten years at first he really had it in for Catholics when we got married but now he is in RCIA this year and hopefully will be entering the church next Easter Vigil. I too believe that when he watched the Passion with me he really started to think.

I love the way the Holy Spirit works! Now when ever I get I asked why I married a non-catholic I can honestly say and believe that the Holy Spirit called us to it!

Monica

Prayer sent!

My wife is not completely convinced on this, but what has gotten her is the fact that every question or “problem” she has with the Catholic faith has a very thorough explanation where we can take similar questions to her church and get a very vague answer that barely has anything to do with the question. That scares her. Now, thinking all Catholics were going to hell and weren’t christian has been drilled into her head for at least the last 20 years so she is still nervous and a little scared to join the church, and that is really what I need the prayer for. I figure you guys would better know which saints would intercede in this situation and things like that.

Your wife sounds just like me when I went to my first RCIA class. I was literally trembling with fear that I was being sucked into a major idol worshiping cult! I too had had it drummed into my head for 20 years that the RCC was the “Whore of Babylon” and half believed Jack Chick–at least he kept me scared away from the Church for years even though I knew he was exaggerating. But, at that time, and to my shame, I believed that the ends justified the means when it came to “saving souls”. I’m sure you and your wife don’t believe that, but I did, sadly, and so do many others. I applaud you and your wife’s courage to seek out the truth no matter how personally hard or painful. God bless you and help you win through to the truth and nothing but the whole truth! :slight_smile:

[quote=jesusluv]Now, thinking all Catholics were going to hell and weren’t christian has been drilled into her head for at least the last 20 years so she is still nervous and a little scared to join the church, and that is really what I need the prayer for.
[/quote]

A deeply seeded prejudice is often difficult to de-program. I will pray for you and your wife.

[quote=jesusluv]Now, thinking all Catholics were going to hell and weren’t christian has been drilled into her head for at least the last 20 years so she is still nervous and a little scared to join the church, and that is really what I need the prayer for. I figure you guys would better know which saints would intercede in this situation and things like that.
[/quote]

Take comfort, all the Saints in heaven are praying for your wife. They love it when someone is seriously discerning. But you to have a role to play. In addition to your prayers, encourage her to gather knowledge. Our ability to reason is a gift from God. Her main battle seems to be that she has to learn that what she previously thought was truth is a lie. With greater knowledge, she will be able to see thru that baggage and with greater clarity see the face of Jesus. God Bless you!

I will light a candle in prayer for you and your wife.

The Church is the pillar and bulwark of the truth…has this been a problem for your wife.
I am sure between you and your wife, you were drilled that the Bible is the ONLY authority. How has your view of Sola Scriptura changed you, notinn that it doesn’t exist?

Be charitable to your wife, and if she needs questions answered, have her come on here too and find all the support and answers she needs!

[quote=Edwin1961]I will light a candle in prayer for you and your wife.

The Church is the pillar and bulwark of the truth…has this been a problem for your wife.
I am sure between you and your wife, you were drilled that the Bible is the ONLY authority. How has your view of Sola Scriptura changed you, notinn that it doesn’t exist?

Be charitable to your wife, and if she needs questions answered, have her come on here too and find all the support and answers she needs!
[/quote]

I haven’t really used that scripture on her, but I will pull it out tonight maybe. Sola Scriptura was really easy for me to get over, and really wasn’t hard for me to change her mind on it either after explaining to her that since she is in the Word of Faith movement, her pastor is constantly saying “God showed to me” something that is not in scripture and that she and her church have many traditions already that are outside the bible. She is able to see the similarities between her cult…errr church, lol, and THE CHURCH, so I think in a matter of time, her fears will subside.

AWESOME!!! God Bless you and your wife. :gopray: are with you. Will tell my wife and we will keep you in our prayers always. :thumbsup:

Welcome Home to you, your wife and jesusluv! You are all in my prayers. I’m not concerned that your wife will not be discouraged by the Church’s teachings as long as she is searching for and open to the Truth.

What a story! If your wife has an attraction for charismatic prayer, you might look into the possibility of finding a Church with a solid charismatic prayer group. Catholic Charismatic spirituality is alive and well! Not my cup of tea, but I know people who thrive on it.

Concerning Benny Hinn. I used to watch the guy alot. I went to one of his meeting and saw him “live”.

While listening to a Christian (protestant) radio program, he mentioned how the Christian community needed to confront some serious issues. His claim was that Benny Hinn made false prophecies. Therefore was a false prophet. I never looked further into in because I had already turned towards the Catholic Church, but I thought you and your wife might want to further investigate the claims against Benny Hinn.

Not sure if the information will be needed since you both are coming home, but I just wanted to pass it on. I personally found Benny Hinn very compelling and he appeared to have awesome works of the Spirit going on. I hesitate to watch non-Catholic programs now. I prefer to not have to sift through and find the truth and separate it from that which isn’t. But if I did still watch, I would want to watch Benny Hinn, (after of course first investigating the claims against him;) )

And as Mercygate said, if your wife is pentecostal, you definitely should try to find a charasmatic Catholic Church if there are any in your area!
God Bless,
Maria

:cool: I just found this other thread on none other than Benny Hinn.

There was a link to some of his alleged false prophecies.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benny_Hinn

and to the thread itself forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=78297

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.