This feels like a hopeless situation

I feel sort of selfish asking for prayer about this, but I really need help and I’d appreciate any prayers so much…

my family really does not approve of my faith or my conversion to Catholicism… I know they love me and I love them too, but it’s really hard here at home, and today was horrible. I’m losing hope that things would ever improve…the situation just keeps on getting worse and worse. What hurts most is thinking that I’m leading them away from God or causing them pain. But I don’t understand what is happening…they seem to just disagree with me reading spiritual books, or praying, or hoping in God, or going to confession/Mass… they want me to make my faith really “moderate” - meaning just going to church sometimes and that’s it. But I can’t do that…I don’t want to live without God, He’s the first thing in my life… I’m really trying to be a good example of a Christian and help them accept all this, but I fail over and over again, - I’m almost giving up. I feel like I’ve let God down… Whenever I do more than just going to Sunday morning Mass, I make them upset/worried…it’s like I have to choose between practicing my faith or my family… :frowning: I’m trying to practice my faith in my actions too, not just by praying,etc, but the thing is…prayer and Adoration and spiritual reading help me to live my faith out in my actions… and my family doesn’t believe me, they think all this stuff is not “real life” but “only for people in religious orders”… also, their view of religious orders breaks my heart cause sometimes I wonder if I have a vocation, but I guess with my situation, it might not even be possible. I don’t know how I’m going to live now or what my life is going to be like, cause what I want to do more than anything is to live for God (in whatever way He calls me), yet there are soo many obstacles.

please if you have a moment, I’d appreciate so much if you said a prayer that there would be peace in my family.

Thank you!!
God bless

Loving God,

We lift up the intentions of our friend Monica4316 and ask for your mercy and blessings for her and for her family. Please help Monica to live out her calling with joy and love, and to feel comfortable in the knowledge that you love her unconditionally. Please help her to pray for her family members that they will accept her love for you and grant her the peace to follow the calling she hears from you. Please send your comforting and consoling Holy Spirit to be with Monica and her entire family, and help them to focus on their love for one another instead of judging and creating anxiety in the family. Lord, you are the one true judge for all eternity, and we submit to you and wish to follow the path you have planned for each of us, using the gifts and blessings you have provided. Please help Monica to lead her family towards the path you would have all of them take, in accordance with your Holy and perfect will. Please also help her to find the right way of approaching and discussing matters of faith and prayer life with her family in a way that they can connect to and understand. Please help all the members of this family to respect one another and themselves.

We pray in the name of your beloved son Jesus, the Good Shepherd of your people, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God for ever and ever.

Amen.

Praying for you and your family.I agree with you.I don’t want a" Sunday only"relationship with Jesus.I want Him to be my everything.Peace,Rocky.

Jn. 15:20 " If they persecuted me, they will persecute you;"

Mt. 6: 5 “And when you pray, you must not be like the hypocrites; for they love to stand and pray in the synagogues and at the street corners, that they may be seen by men. Truly, I say to you, they have received their reward. 6 But when you pray, go into your room and shut the door and pray to your Father who is in secret; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you”.

God first, then you, then you’re spouce [if you have one], then you’re family, then…

Your first and most important task of earth is to get yourself to heaven! Then, live and share the Faith. Teach not with words, but how you live you’re life.

Keep a low profile at home. Pray in private, read in you’re room, or some private place.

Do not force you’re beliefs and practices on ANYONE, let them speak for themselves, and allow the Holy Spirit to use you.

Do what you have to do and be willing to “pay the price.”

Pray much, pray often!

Love and prayers,
Pat

Thank you so much for your prayers :slight_smile:

PJM, I really try to do this, but sometimes my family members see me reading spiritual books etc when they walk into my room, in any case they see the books lying around on my desk… and I can’t hide when I’m going to church (which is not even very often). I think maybe it would help though if for a while I kept a *really *low profile lol… I also try to live out my faith in my actions, share through my actions, etc, but what my family really has a problem with is not so much my sins as me not wanting to be really “worldly”, ie concerned with money or success…they think it’s really important to want these things, to be really goal oriented, but my goals are just different I guess… I used to be very worldly, and then I decided to give that up, but my family sees that as me giving up on “real life”… this does hurt a lot :frowning: …my faith is very real to me… maybe what I could try is just being really busy when I’m at home…working on things, going places, etc, and perhaps this will help. I’m usually very busy during the year, when I’m at school, and over the summer I was hoping to spend more time with God but I guess that won’t work so easily, lol. I definitley have lots of summer plans (regarding a job etc), but it’s taking time for them to work out.

I don’t want it to sound like it’s just their fault. I’m sure that I’ve done a lot wrong, and the present situation could have been avoided. This is something for which I’m really sorry… but at the same time, I feel like what would make my family happy is seeing me focused on success, money, career, etc, - and I don’t know how to do this without compromising my faith… don’t get me wrong, I think it’s important to think about the future and work hard, but just for another reason…not just to earn a comfortable living and have lots of money, but to serve God in all that you do…

well today I was told that if I don’t “change”, I should move out. :frowning: I don’t know what to do! I can’t just stop praying and I can’t throw out these books by the Saints that have helped me so much, I can’t throw away my rosary or the things in my prayer corner… and sure I can move out, but I don’t have anywhere to go, cause I’m having trouble finding a job. I’d so much rather there just be peace at home.

anyway… I’m rambling…
thanks for your advice :slight_smile:

The patron saint of the day is St. Ephraem the Deacon. St. Ephraem the Deacon, pray for us!

:gopray:

St Ephraem the Deacon (306 - 373)

universalis.com/-400/today.htm

Saint Ephraem was a poet and a theologian.

He lived all his life in Mesopotamia, first founding a school and then, when the Persians invaded his native town of Nisibis, moving to Edessa. He preached there, and laid the foundations of its great school of theology.

He is famous not only for the beauty of expression of his homilies but also for his hymns, which have spread far beyond his native Syriac church and are in use in East and West alike.

See the articles in the Catholic Encyclopaedia and Wikipedia.

I am sorry your faith has became a struggle in your home life. Don’t give up sometimes faith is like a mirror to other people and they do not like what they see. In my prayers

I believe in God, the Father Almighty,
Creator of heaven and earth; and in Jesus
Christ, His only Son, our Lord: Who was
conceived by the Holy Spirit, born of the
Virgin Mary; suffered under Pontius
Pilate, was crucified, died and was buried.
He descended into hell; the third day He
rose again from the dead; He ascended
into heaven, is seated at the right hand of
God the Father Almighty; from thence He
shall come to judge the living and the
dead. I believe in the Holy Spirit, the
Holy Catholic Church, the communion of
Saints, the forgiveness of sins, the
resurrection of the body, and life
everlasting. Amen.

Feel free always to come here and vent if you need to Monica. That’s why we’re here. I wish I could offer more advise, but maybe try talking to a Priest (do it on your own) and see if he can offer any help. I don’t know your age, but as you become more independent, you can certainly exercise your faith more freely.

In them mean time, prayers for you my friend…

Praying that Jesus will bring you and your family to the Love of His Sacred Heart and that Love will bring His Peace in your family.

Loving God,

We lift up the intentions of our friend Monica4316 and ask for your mercy and blessings for her and for her family. Please help Monica to live out her calling with joy and love, and to feel comfortable in the knowledge that you love her unconditionally. Please help her to pray for her family members that they will accept her love for you and grant her the peace to follow the calling she hears from you. Please send your comforting and consoling Holy Spirit to be with Monica and her entire family, and help them to focus on their love for one another instead of judging and creating anxiety in the family. Lord, you are the one true judge for all eternity, and we submit to you and wish to follow the path you have planned for each of us, using the gifts and blessings you have provided. Please help Monica to lead her family towards the path you would have all of them take, in accordance with your Holy and perfect will. Please also help her to find the right way of approaching and discussing matters of faith and prayer life with her family in a way that they can connect to and understand. Please help all the members of this family to respect one another and themselves.

We pray in the name of your beloved son Jesus, the Good Shepherd of your people, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God for ever and ever.

Amen.

Hail Mary,
full of Grace,
the Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou among women,
and blessed is the Fruit Of Thy Womb,
Jesus.
Holy Mary,
Mother of God,
pray for us sinners now,
and at the hour of our death.
Amen

Thanks so much everyone

[quote=“Monica]4316, post:5, topic:157530”]
Thank you so much for your prayers :slight_smile:

PJM, I really try to do this, but sometimes my family members see me reading spiritual books etc when they walk into my room, in any case they see the books lying around on my desk… and I can’t hide when I’m going to church (which is not even very often). I think maybe it would help though if for a while I kept a *really *low profile lol… I also try to live out my faith in my actions, share through my actions, etc, but what my family really has a problem with is not so much my sins as me not wanting to be really “worldly”, ie concerned with money or success…they think it’s really important to want these things, to be really goal oriented, but my goals are just different I guess… I used to be very worldly, and then I decided to give that up, but my family sees that as me giving up on “real life”… this does hurt a lot :frowning: …my faith is very real to me… maybe what I could try is just being really busy when I’m at home…working on things, going places, etc, and perhaps this will help. I’m usually very busy during the year, when I’m at school, and over the summer I was hoping to spend more time with God but I guess that won’t work so easily, lol. I definitley have lots of summer plans (regarding a job etc), but it’s taking time for them to work out.

[/quote]

Prayer is a wonderful and very necessary part of out life and spiritual formation. It is also an amazing “thing” in that every thing we do can [and I think should] be offered up to god, so just hanging, working, playing, what ever; if we makea specific effort each morning to offer this day in its entireity to God, is a wouderful pray, so long as we are not seriously sinning.

Be sure to thank God everynight before you go to sleep for being with you throughout the day, and ask for forgivness and help where you may have, even in a small way, failed God.
Lack of charity for example.

Try to live each day in the presence of God, knowing that HE IS walking with you.

Allow piety to come to you, and don’t stop living your life and you think you should. But go slow, live is a marathon, not a sprint. Pace yourself. For example read only 30 minutesa day. God will guide you. In everything moderation, charity, and faithfullness.

Enjoy you’re vacation, and be modest in dress and behavior.

Love and prayers,
Pat

I don’t want it to sound like it’s just their fault. I’m sure that I’ve done a lot wrong, and the present situation could have been avoided. This is something for which I’m really sorry… but at the same time, I feel like what would make my family happy is seeing me focused on success, money, career, etc, - and I don’t know how to do this without compromising my faith… don’t get me wrong, I think it’s important to think about the future and work hard, but just for another reason…not just to earn a comfortable living and have lots of money, but to serve God in all that you do…

None of these goals are in and of themselves bad or evil. St. Paul even say’s that a person who does not work, should not be fed.

Here are lifes proper priorities. 1. God, 2. you and you’re needs 3. you’re spouce [if and when approiate] 4. family 5. Career. Each and every element is good and necessary.

Do not be afraid to pursue the career you think God is calling you to. It too is an expetiation of our God. Pray for guidance, and do what is right.

well today I was told that if I don’t “change”, I should move out. :frowning: I don’t know what to do! I can’t just stop praying and I can’t throw out these books by the Saints that have helped me so much, I can’t throw away my rosary or the things in my prayer corner… and sure I can move out, but I don’t have anywhere to go, cause I’m having trouble finding a job. I’d so much rather there just be peace at home.

“Not MY will, BUT hty will be done.”

My great Irish grandpa used to say we are less likely to find trouble if we don’t look for it.

Box your stuff up. Pray the rosary on you’re fingures. Get to Mass when you are able,
and read you’re spiritual books outside of the house. Do you have a friend that can assist you. Let you read and pray in her room?

Don’t get thrown out, pray for work, move out when you can. There is obviously more here than we know. Are you’re parent’s JW’s or some such sect? If so, what you are doing in their view is condeming yourself to hell. Your NOT, but you will not be able to convince them of this fact, so do not even try until you are out of the house on your own.

That does not mean you have to participate in what they believe, but don’t challange them, and don’t threaten them, which I fear is what they are reacting to.

You’re realtionship with Christ is PERSOANL, KEEP IT THAT WAY.

Love and prayers,

anyway… I’m rambling…
thanks for your advice :slight_smile:

Our Father, which art in Heaven
Hollowed be thy name
Thy kingdom come, thy will be done
On earth as it is in Heaven

Give us this day, our daily bread
And forgive us our trespasses
As we forgive those who trespass against us

Lead us not into temptation
But deliver us from evil

Amen

Hi Monica, you and your family are in my prayer. Thanks for sharing your faith, concern, and your caring for your family with us.

Praying hard for you Monica

Second Glorious Mystery: The Ascension

Jesus Ascends into Heaven Mark 16:19
Then, after speaking to them, the Lord Jesus was taken up into heaven, and took His seat at God’s right hand.

Our Father, who art in Heaven,
hallowed be Thy Name;
Thy kingdom come;
Thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread;
and forgive us our trespasses
as we forgive those who trespass against us;
and lead us not into temptation,
but deliver us from evil. Amen.

Hail, Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee.
Blessed are thou among women,
and blessed is the Fruit Of Thy Womb, Jesus.
Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners,
now and at the hour of our death.
Amen. (10 times)

Glory be to the Father and to the Son and to the Holy Spirit
As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end Amen.

O my Jesus forgive us our sins, save us from the fires of hell, lead all souls to heaven, especially, those most in need of Thy Mercy.
Amen.

Praying hard for you Monica

Our Father, which art in Heaven
Hollowed be thy name
Thy kingdom come, thy will be done
On earth as it is in Heaven

Give us this day, our daily bread
And forgive us our trespasses
As we forgive those who trespass against us

Lead us not into temptation
But deliver us from evil

Amen

Hail Mary,
full of Grace,
the Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou among women,
and blessed is the Fruit Of Thy Womb,
Jesus.
Holy Mary,
Mother of God,
pray for us sinners now,
and at the hour of our death.
Amen

Prayers…

My dear, situations are never hopeless when you walk with the Lord. I understand what you are going through. I am a convert too. My parents did not understand either but they eventually just had to accept it because I refused to give in. Stand fast. Praying for you and your family.

Dear God, give Monica4316 courage,
Give her the courage to stand up for her faith.
Show her family mercy and understanding. I pray for them to accept her desire to love and serve You.
Grant her the courage to fight against the devil,
against terrors and troubles, temptations,
attractions, darkness and false lights,
against tears, depression, and above all fear.
Grant her Your help, dear God.
Strengthen her with Your love and Your grace.
Console her with Your blessed Presence
and grant her the courage to persevere
until she is with You forever in heaven.
Amen

Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee. Blessed art thou amongst women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus.
Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death, Amen.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.