This Gospel of the Kingdom

And this gospel of the kingdom will be proclaimed throughout the whole world as a testimony to all nations, and then the end will come.”
(Matt 24:14)

We all realise that the gospel has many facets. There is the good news of ‘redemption’, the good news of ‘justification’, the good news of ‘reconciliation’, the good news of ‘forgiveness of sins’, the good news of ‘new birth’, and so on. However, in Jesus’ Olivet discourse, he zeroes in on a special facet of the good news. He uses a different description; “This gospel of the kingdom …”

What exactly is it referring to? What is the “gospel of the kingdom?” A common explanation is that its connection to end-time events in Matthew 24 infers that a special message of an impending ‘Messianic age kingdom’ (centred in Jerusalem?) would be preached shortly before Christ’s second coming. This theory does not go so far as to say that it was a different gospel, but the emphasis shifts from ‘Saviour’ to what we might call, the gospel of ‘our soon coming King.’

I am not comfortable with this teaching, and would like to hear from forum members whether or not it is the standard Catholic interpretation of the term. If not, could someone suggest, how we should be explaining the **“gospel of the kingdom.” **

I think it means the sum total of what Jesus had taught them, without exception. He was referring to the fact that it would eventually get rolled out all over the world as per Rom 10:5-18 as we have increasingly heard about over the years.

Kingdom (also pictured as farm, vineyard, household, team of shepherds) has a social, relational angle in addition to a vertical one, complementing the facets you enumerate.

The reign of Jesus Christ as Lord and King. I don’t believe it refers exclusively to the future and the second coming. I think it refers to his current and eternal Lordship and reign over all things in heaven and on earth, even if it hasn’t manifested in it’s fullness here on Earth yet. (The kingdom is like a mustard seed, after all, it admittedly starts small but grows ever larger). This includes the age of his Church.

Jesus’ sacrifice ended the “rule” of the devil over the world (such as it was) and initiated a new age and covenant in which all peoples would be brought into the kingdom and Israel (the kingdom under David, not just a political, territorial kingdom) would be restored.

I don’t have time to give a better answer but essentially the kingdom is the Church on earth in seed form and is in bloom in heaven. When Christ returns the kingdom will be complete. There will be a new earth and universe and the kingdom will have no end.

[1Col1:12 Giving thanks unto the Father, which hath made us meet to be partakers of the inheritance of the saints in light: 13 Who hath delivered us from the power of darkness, **and hath translated us into the kingdom of his dear Son: 14 In whom we have redemption through his blood, even the forgiveness of sins:] We are translated into the kingdom at baptism

[Lk22:28 Ye are they which have continued with me in my temptations. 29 And **I appoint unto you a kingdom, as my Father hath appointed unto me; 30 That ye may eat and drink at my table in my kingdom, and sit on thrones judging the twelve tribes of Israel. 31 And the Lord said, Simon, Simon, behold, Satan hath desired to have you, that he may sift you as wheat: 32 But I have prayed for thee, that thy faith fail not: and when thou art converted, strengthen thy brethren.]

Jesus himself is the Kingdom.

Being asked by the Pharisees when the kingdom of God was coming, he answered them, "The kingdom of God is not coming with signs to be observed; nor will they say, Lo, here it is!' orThere!’ for behold, the kingdom of God is in the midst of you." (Luke 17:20-21)

The Gospel of the Kingdom is the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

-Tim-

As I see it, the Kingdom of God is present even now in heaven and it is present even now on earth in some sense wherever Jesus Christ is acknowledged as Lord and His commandments are kept. However, it will only be completely realized on earth at Jesus’ Second Coming when “every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.” (Philippians 2:10-11)

From the Glossary appended to the Catechism of the Catholic Church:
**KINGDOM OF GOD (OF HEAVEN): ** The reign or rule of God: “the kingdom of God is . . . righteousness and peace and joy in the Holy Spirit” (*Rom *14:17). The Kingdom of God draws near in the coming of the Incarnate Word; it is announced in the Gospel; it is the messianic Kingdom, present in the person of Jesus, the Messiah; it remains in our midst in the Eucharist. Christ gave to his Apostles the work of proclaiming the Kingdom, and through the Holy Spirit forms his people into a priestly kingdom, the Church, in which the Kingdom of God is mysteriously present, for she is the seed and beginning of the Kingdom on earth. In the Lord’s Prayer (“Thy Kingdom come”) we pray for its final glorious appearance, when Christ will hand over the Kingdom to his Father (541-554, 709, 763, 2816, 2819).

And the keys of the kingdom were given to Peter. Mt. 16:18-19

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.