This is EXTREMELY WEIRD, what do you think?

religioustolerance.org/zoroastr.htm

The universe will go through three eras: http://www.religioustolerance.org/_themes/topo/topbul3d.gifcreation;http://www.religioustolerance.org/_themes/topo/topbul3d.gifthe present world where good and evil are mixed. People’s good works are seen as gradually transforming the world towards its heavenly ideal;http://www.religioustolerance.org/_themes/topo/topbul3d.gifand a final state after this renovation when good and evil will be separated
Eventually, everything will be purified. Even the occupants of hell will be released.

A Saoshyant (savior) will be born of a virgin, but of the lineage of the Prophet Zoroaster who will raise the dead and judge everyone in a final judgment.

It would make more sense if I were stoned…:whacky:

Peace!

At least in the US and Europe, the world is being transformed into a hellhole, not a heavenly ideal.

I’m surprised more of you aren’t responding!

Look at these:

Legends say that his birth was predicted and that attempts were made by the forces of evil to kill him as a child. He preached a monotheism in a land which followed an aboriginal polytheistic religion.

The Gathas are abstract sacred poetry, directed towards the worship of the One God, understanding of righteousness and cosmic order, promotion of social justice and individual choice between good and evil. The Gathas have a general and even universal vision.

A Saoshyant (savior) will be born of a virgin, but of the lineage of the Prophet Zoroaster who will raise the dead and judge everyone in a final judgment.

The last one is especially weird!

P.S. It’s really old…

Conservative Zoroastrians assign a date of 6000 BCE to the founding of the religion; other followers estimate 600 BCE. Historians and religious scholars generally date his life sometime between 1500 and 1000 BCE on the basis of his style of writing.

religioustolerance.org/zoroastr.htm

Hermione,

the Peace of the Lord Jesus Christ, the only Son of the Only True God be with you! I know what you’re thinking after reading that zoastrianism article: that Christianity, it looks like, is really just a rip-off of this really ancient religion! Nonsense. I went through the same stage of doubt last year. My geography teacher told our class that Christianity was a religion compiled of many different ancient religions, and it really shook may faith. But i researhed the charge and prayed, and God the Father, the Only True God, brought me through. Praised be Jesus! It’s true that SOME elements of Christianity exist in other religions–even ancient ones. For example, the virgin birth is a common story in old religions. But CS Lewis has an extremely interesting insight into why this is: all religions are nothing more than man trying to find God. God is Truth. So wouldn’t it follow that some truths are going to be found in every religion, even if the religion itself is wrong? This is also Catholic teaching, by the way. Basically, zoastrianism soiunds similar because it was searching for the Truth–but it fell short. Oh and about the site you got the article from, it’s extremely liberal. I’d personally check some scholarly sources on Zoastrianism to see if the site’s claims are true. I’m familiar with religioustolerance.org and they seem to have an anti-christian slant. It’s not a Catholic book, but I would strongly suggest reading “The Case for Christ” by Lee Strobel. It played a major role in combatting my doubt. You’ll see why Jesus–and only Jesus and His Catholic Church–are the way, the Truth, and the Life. Hope this helps . . . oh and the most important thing? PRAY!!!

God bless,
Daniel

Actually no,

You can always read this guy:
tektonics.org/copycat/zoroaster.html

(Many of you know this site already; it’s good for the whole Christ-myth thing, baptist ideology aside.)

Never fall for the supposed comparisons of Jesus with other religious figures, that is, in supernatural claims. Websites that expound this kind of crockery are simply fooling themselves. Don’t YOU be fooled, too. Boogedy boogedy boo!

I too was thrown by this when I first heard about it. It was presented to me in an anthropology class from a much respected professor. After some of my own research, I found that there really was no comparison to be done.

Just another temptation to lead us astray. Funny how things like this can sound so convincing! Keep the faith!

~A

More fair accounts of Zoroastrianism recognize that this ancient Persian religion was not monotheist, but henotheist – that is, a belief in a supreme god above lesser gods. Strict monotheism was the jewel of the Judeo-Christian heritage. You won’t find it before that time.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.