This is my blood

Whenever someone backs up the true presence of Jesus in the eucharist, they always say ‘this is my body, this is my blood’.
OK, so the wine turns into his blood, how is He present in his own blood? Was he present in it when it all over the place during his crucifixion? Was he present in his own veins?

Not sure what exactly your question or concern is, but I can say that God is everywhere, so Catholic teaching says that even on the night of the Last Supper, Jesus was in fact holding His own body and blood. Now, this is Jesus’ Body and blood under the appearance of bread and wine. It is wholly His body and blood, and nothing else.

How can someone who is truly God and truly man at the same time, make the statement that He is currently existing in the wine? Maybe because HE IS GOD!!!

Notworthy

[quote=filmmaker]Whenever someone backs up the true presence of Jesus in the eucharist, they always say ‘this is my body, this is my blood’.
OK, so the wine turns into his blood, how is He present in his own blood? Was he present in it when it all over the place during his crucifixion? Was he present in his own veins?
[/quote]

Jesus held up the wine and said, “This is my blood…” They were his words, not ours. Jesus wouldn’t have lied.

You ask us “how He does that” and the answer is - we don’t know - it’s called transubstantiation and it’s a beautiful mystery. He can do anything.

you are thinking of God in human terms…

:slight_smile:

Filmmaker, you are not the only one who couldn’t understand that Jesus could be existing outside of His own Body in the consecrated bread and wine. After He told them that His Flesh is true Food and His Blood is true Drink, many of his followers were unable to accept this teaching and left. I recommend you read the 6th chapter of John, or more specifically verses 25-71.

As Father Benedict Groeshel said, it is a mystery, just like how can God become a man? It is interesting that some of the reformers would accept this mystery of the incarnation but reject Jesus being present in the Eucharist.

I believe God can do whatever He wants, out of love for us.

God Bless
Scylla

27Whoever, therefore, eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty of profaning the body and blood of the Lord. (1 Corinthians 11:27)

Although the words ‘this is my body’ are pronounced over the bread and the words ‘this is my blood’ are pronounced over the wine, at the consecration the bread is transformed into the whole glorified Jesus (body, blood, soul, and divinity) and the wine is transformed into the whole glorified Jesus (body, blood, soul, and divinity). In fact, for hundreds of years, it was the custom in the Church for everyone, except the celebrating priest, to receive only the consecrated bread at Communion.

Okay, I think I’m interpreting the OQ differently then most hte responders.

We as Catholics believe that in the Eucharist, Jesus is present in his Body, Blood, Soul, AND Divinity.

In other words, Christ is fully and completely present in the Eucharist.

That DOES NOT mean that Christ’s Body, Soul, and Divinity are necessarily present in his blood, such as at the crucifixion. Nor is his body, blood, and soul necessarily present in his divinity, such as before the incarnation.

Analogously, lets say you clone me. Then, in a sense, you’d have my hair, eyes, blood, and finger. But if you have my finger, then you don’t necessarily have my eyes or my hair. (ignoring information hidden in the DNA).

The point is, just because Christ is fully present in the Eucharist doesn’t mean that Christ is fully present in everything that has some relation to him.

Josh

This is the litmus test that Christ left all of us. There’s no logic that can completely express this magnificent truth. This is THE ONE THING that requires complete FAITH.

in XT.

Jesus’ presence in the Eucharist is that of his risen body and his presence is sacramental, although real, we are not literally eating meat or drinking blood in the sense you mean. We are receiving the whole of the Risen Lord, the same Lord who passed through closed doors, but also could eat a piece of cooked fish after his Resurrection. Exactly how this is we cannot know, but we are receiving all of Christ. His soul and divinity are present, but the bread and wine don’t turn into his soul and divinity, rather his soul and divinity inhabit his Real Presence. All we have is our poor words to try to describe the ineffable. Our Eastern brethren, who weren’t challenged by the cold logic of the Romans, just settle for calling the Real Presence a mystery and let it go at that.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.