This is my real question about sexual sins

I did agree with another poster to a degree. It is not our duty to police, monitor, regulate or criticize what consenting adults to with their own bodies? It is truly none of our business. I do not think God or Jesus likes busybodies. It is important for us to work on our sins before correcting another. If we all lived by this, no one would correct anyone. What is the point, we are all too sinful to say anything to another person. None of us is Jesus, so should we just keep our mouth’s shut all the time? Then I thought of, what if one of your friends is a mistress to a married man or cheating on his/her spouse or significant other? If you do not say anything, are you condoning or not condoning their behavior? Maybe they will come to their senses, or maybe you should just pray for them. As much I want to believe it is completely none of our business what others do with their own body, there is a still fine line for that too.

There are people you can correct, and people you can’t correct.

For example, if someone is about to wander off the side of a cliff (they are in direct danger) you can yell at them to get off the cliff; it doesn’t matter who you are.

But you can’t just randomly yell at people; that’s not cool.

If someone is asking for your advice, you are allowed to give it, and you are allowed to be totally honest with them. “No, I don’t think you should move in with your boyfriend; I really think that’s a bad idea, spiritually, emotionally, and financially, and here’s why.”

You are your child’s teacher; you can correct your minor children even if they don’t ask for your input, and you can teach them moral principles.

If you’re a teacher and you’re teaching religion classes, you have both the right and the duty to explain to the students, regardless of their age, the moral teachings of the Church, along with the reasoning behind the teaching.

There are times and places when you can admonish strangers, equals, and superiors, but they tend to be quite rare. I wouldn’t, for example, try to teach my boss anything, unless he were in direct danger and needed the information to save his life or to save his career.

I understand now.

Well it is said in the Bible in concerning your reference as our “own bodies”. That your body is not yours, it is bought with a price. Looking at things from a moral neuteral stance concerning for example; gay marriage. It guess it is in how you define marriage. Is marriage a man made pliable changeable institution? If you believe that then I guess gay marriage is not a problem in and of itself. But natural law teaches that two genitalia of the same sex don’t come together to produce life. And that’s what sex is about. If sex is a pastime then you do as you please. The church teaches that sex has a purpose and there are rules. Sex as a past time is more like a “sexual addiction”. Especially in western culture everything is sexualized. Masturbation the modern pschologists say is normal. In children it’s a sign of stress. Masturbation is abnormal as taught by the church. I have talked to people who see for example an attractive woman. Their first thought is to have sex. Why? I don’t feel that way. When I see an attractive woman that’s what I see. I don’t think “Gotta have sex with her”. When you get to know someone looks can become very superficial. That’s just for looking at.

My :twocents:

In these cases it helps to find out when and if there is an obligation to correct someone:

newadvent.org/cathen/04394a.htm

I guess the first post brings up sexual sins because a lot of those are grave matters. :shrug:

But really, the obligation for correction is rarely due, especially in a relationship that is not parental or priest/penitent.

Obligation aside, I think there’s more constructive ways of leading people to the Truth as opposed to scolding them.

We have a responsibility not to be busy bodies, but to help other people in a world where sin prevails and is “cool”. As St. John Paul II would say, we live in the Culture of Death.

In the Great Commission, Jesus Christ tell His apostles, and us by extension, “Go into all the world and preach the gospel to all creation.” (Mark 16:15). I know it’s difficult, but when you see a friend in sin, you should mention it, and also act in a way that your behavior preaches without words.

I’ve had friends have affairs and mess up, and I’ve spoken up. I have also messed up and have had others call me on it. It’s the Christian thing to do. The key is to do it with kindness.

May Our Lord, Jesus Christ, continue to guide you,

You are completely right.

One of the spiritual works of mercy is admonishing the sinner. If someone you know sins in front of your or you know is sinning gravely or living in a state of grave sin, the Church teaches it is your duty to correct them. We know this in the Confiteor at Mass: “I confess, to Almighty God, and to you, my brothers and sisters, that I have greatly sinned in what I have done, and what I have failed to do…” We are not only judged by what we do, but by what we haven’t.

Saint Augustine has beautiful words about this very thing in his masterpiece, The City of God. He knew all too well that many people didn’t want to admonish the sinners around them for fear of losing friends or hurting their feelings, and so he wrote this:

“For the most part, we hesitate to instruct, to admonish, and, as occasion demands, to correct, and even reprehend them, or we avoid antagonizing them lest they thwart or harm us in those temporal matters where our cupidity ever seeks to acquire, or our faint hearts fear to lose… For this reason, overseers or rulers are set over the churches, to reprimand sin, not to spare it. Nor is a man fully free from blame who is not in authority, but who notices in those persons he meets in social life many faults he should censure and admonish. He is blameworthy if he fails to do this out of fear of hurting feelings or of losing such things as he may licitly enjoy in this life, but to which he is unduly attached.”

We are sent on this earth to save souls, not make friends or be socially correct.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.