This is why I think Mormons and JW's are Christian

I think we as Catholics, or for that matter Orthodox or 99% of Protestant denominations hold the view that one must believe in the trinity, which is Father, Son, and Holy Spirit are one God, with three persons. Mormons and JW’s believe they are one God “head” but separate in nature.
I defend the groups, as well as Christian Science, and SDA’s, who also have an unorthodox view of Christianity in many ways, as Christian. The reason for this is the groups do hold the teachings of Jesus as the way to live. That is Christian, even though many of their other teachings are different, and often heretical to mainstream Christianity. But let me explain, because this is not all to uncommon in world religions.
In Islam, Muhammad is the “final prophet, the seal of the prophets”. However, their is an Islamic religious movement founded in British India near the end of the 19th centurycalled Ahmidiyyah. It originated with the life and teachings of Mirza Ghulam Ahmad (1835–1908), who claimed to have fulfilled the prophecies of the world’s reformer during the end times, who was to herald the eschaton as predicted in the traditions of various world religions and bring about the final triumph of Islam as per Islamic prophecy. He claimed that he was the Mujaddid (divine reformer) of the 14th Islamic century, the promised Messiah and Mahdi awaited by Muslims.The adherents of the Ahmadiyya movement are referred to as Ahmadi Muslims or simply Ahmadis.Most orthodox Muslims have denounced Ahmadis as kafirs or heretics, and mainstream Islam generally considers them to be non-Muslims. They have a following of about 20 million people. So, are they to not Islam just because they don’t hold the traditional view of Islam?
Another example is Buddhism, or even to a greater extent, Hinduism. Both of these religions have many branches. When it comes to Threvada and Mahayana Buddhism, the two differ so much in views that one would almost believe they were separate. However both follow Buddahs life with a different interpretation. Thus both are Buddhist.
My point is, just because a group had a different outlook on what the truth of Jesus is, does not mean they are not Christian. Every world religion has groups who seem heretical to the “mainstream” of the religions, however in a scholarly way they are still regarded as part of that world religion.

There’s only one Truth. Can’t be a bunch of real truths. Either it is true or it isn’t.

JWs do not believe Christ is Christ but the Archangel Michael. And that the brother of Michael is Satan, another son of God. Hmmm.

Mormon’s believe all will become gods. Also did not believe Blacks were God’s children. They were not allowed to join the Mormon Church until about thirty years ago. So not all God’s children are equal. Does our Church say that?

Understand the Presbyterians are allowed to chose how baptism is to be done. One can opt for the usual), Father, Son, and Holy Spirit) or for the new one (Creator, Reedemer and ?). This poses a problem if a Presbyterian should convert. Before under the old way it was acceptable and therefore no problem. Now it is a problem. Consequently, another baptism is done.

The key here is they do NOT believe in the God that Catholics and most protestants do. Their definitions of who Jesus is are radically different than that taught by the Catholic church.Yes, they use the same name, but they do NOT mean the same thing. They do not believe that Jesus is one of three unique, uncreated and co-equal persons who are God.

Not validly baptized, not Christian.

That’s all there is to it.

No J W’s do not believe that Father Son & Spirit are one God head.
That does not accurately define their theological position.

Let me ask you this then. Say someone believes in Jesus, but does not adhere to any church’s teachings. Just kinda believes that because they said a “sinners prayer” and they kind of try to be a good person, that they are Christians and saved. They never get Baptized because they have been taught that all they have to do is say a “sinners prayer” and they are saved. They also believe that all they have to do is ask God every night to “forgive their sins” and they are forgiven, no matter how much they continue in sin because Jesus already paid for their sins by dying on the cross. But they refer to themselves as Christians. Are these people Christians?

they call themselves Christian. they believe they follow the Christ.

in some respects (morally at least), their teachings are more Christ like than some of the protestant sects.

since you do not define what you mean by Christian, it is not possible to meaningfully discuss your conjecture. as you can see from other posts, they do not meet many Christians definition of Christian.

typically, Christian has meant people who profess Jesus as Lord, followers of Jesus of Nazareth. for centuries, most of the followers of Jesus Christ have been debating theology and allowing this debate to keep them divided.

generally, I think it is unwise, from an intellectual frame of reference, to use the word Christian for the very reason that it does not have a universally accepted definition.

out of respect, I do not oppose JWs, Mormons and the like claiming to be Christian.

Well, I do appreciate the kindness you do my church, but I must respectfully disagree. Organizations aren’t Christian, individuals are. From what scripture tells me, a Christian has availed themselves of the atoning sacrifice of Jesus Christ, and has followed the call to repent and been baptized.

Showing up in a church doesn’t make you a Christian, any more than standing in a garage makes you a car.

In base 10, 2+2=4

As much as someone believes that it =28 or =36 or = -5.4, it doesn’t.

In all times, in all history, in any place, in base 10, 2+2=4

It’s called an absolute. And just like there are absolutes in say, math, music, other branches of science, so there are absolutes when it comes to the invisible world.

Yeah, but we’re Catholics. Our Magisterium is not simply the pool of scholars we happen to agree with, or the packet of books we happen to like.

In a scholarly way, all religion is a sociological force that only has the meaning that a particular cohort happens to assign to it during a particular era. But I don’t go to the academicians to tell me what Christ revealed to His Church, but I will go to Peter.

“in a scholarly way they are still regarded as part of that world religion”
this is a very ambiguous statement. If you follow your logic to its end all people could be considered part of any religion and any truth claim corresponding to reality is no more than relativistic. Moral relativism in analogous.

Christianity from the very beginning has been a religion of doctrine or right teaching. The NT is full of examples of false teachers and charged the apostles to protect the deposit of faith from those false teachers. Your claim is diametrically opposed to the NT teachings regarding false teachings especially if you look at the pastorals.

:thumbsup:

catholicworldreport.com/Blog/3466/pope_emeritus_benedict_xvi_dialogue_cannot_substitute_for_mission.aspx

In fact, many today think religions should respect each other and, in their dialogue, become a common force for peace. According to this way of thinking, it is usually taken for granted that different religions are variants of one and the same reality," the retired pope wrote. "The question of truth, that which originally motivated Christians more than any other, is here put inside parentheses. It is assumed that the authentic truth about God is in the last analysis unreachable and that at best one can represent the ineffable with a variety of symbols. This renunciation of truth seems realistic and useful for peace among religions in the world.

"It is nevertheless lethal to faith. In fact, faith loses its binding character and its seriousness, everything is reduced to interchangeable symbols, capable of referring only distantly to the inaccessible mystery of the divine,

• Pope Emeritus Benedict XVI

1Christian
noun Chris·tian \ˈkris-chən, ˈkrish-
: a person who believes in the teachings of Jesus Christ

Merriam-Webster

To be Christian one must believe in ALL the teachings of Jesus Christ. I don’t know enough about JW to speak of their teachings but I do know enough of the LDS to say they are NOT Christians. Many LDS people are good upstanding members of their communities, many are capable of Christian behavior but this does not make them Christians as a religious faith.

The very beginnings of the LDS church is the best clue they do not hold to the teachings of Jesus Christ. Jesus told: You are Peter, and upon this rock I will build my Church and the gates of hell won’t prevail against it…Shepherd my sheep.

The LDS believe there was a great apostasy, so this teaching of Jesus must be wrong. :shrug: They deny the divinity of Jesus Christ, again another teaching they disbelieve.

I submit many are good people but seriously mislead in regards to Christianity.

OP needs to do some research his statements are very incorrect.

Being baptized as LDS, does not make you a Christian.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.