THIS is why the Health and Wealth "gospel" is so dangerous

news.yahoo.com/measles-cases-put-texas-megachurch-under-scrutiny-165150724.html

NEWARK, Texas (AP) — The teachings of televangelist Kenneth Copeland and his family focusing on the virtues of trusting God to keep healthy are under scrutiny after a cluster of measles cases linked to his family’s North Texas megachurch revealed many congregants hadn’t been vaccinated against the highly contagious disease.

Kenneth Copeland Ministries has won supporters worldwide through television programs, crusades, conferences and prayer request networks. He was a pioneer of the prosperity gospel, which holds that believers are destined to flourish spiritually, physically and financially.

“To get a vaccine would have been viewed by me and my friends and my peers as an act of fear — that you doubted God would keep you safe, you doubted God would keep you healthy. We simply didn’t do it,” former church member Amy Arden told The Associated Press.

Interesting. I had heard of the outbreak, but didn’t know it was connected to Kenneth Copeland Ministries. I was telling my wife, upon reading the headline, that I wondered whether it was a Word of Faith denomination that was being referenced.

My mother was very fond of Copeland, and I have to say, all these years later, part of the reason she has no faith in Christ is because of such teachings. The anti-intellectual aspect of so much of this so-called theology absolutely ravages people when they’re faced with our secular culture and its various objections.

Dangerous in body and soul, to say the least.

Actually, the more dangerous bit to my mind is the tendency to blame people for their misfortunes, which leads to not trying to help them, which is bad for the unfortunate on a material level, and bad for the “health & wealth gospel” folks on a spiritual level.

Measles is bad, but I think the spiritual risks are greater. (Also the non-Copeland H&Wers don’t always get like these folks do about doctors.)

–Jen

It certainly is.
They are however putting their children at risk, as well as the community.

The Health and Wealth Gospel is dangerous but I don’t think this is evidence against it. It would be wrong to say these people are being irrational by not vaccinating and the proof is these children contracted measles. Measles outbreaks occur in vaccinated populations as well. The news media exists by sensational stories. A sensational story is a measles outbreak in a group of Christians who don’t believe in the benefit of measles vaccinations. A not so sensational story is a measles outbreak in a group of government school students who have had all their vaccinations.

Hmmm…if I have faith, I can handle this snake or drink this poison or avoid modern medical science.

Yeah, you can…but why put the Lord your God to the test? :shrug:

Didn’t know this. Thanks for the information.

Why put your kids at risk? Vaccinate your kids, and give thanks to God that such marvels of modern medicine are possible.
All good things around us
are sent from Heaven above.
So, thank the Lord, oh thank the Lord,
for all His love.

Every time I hear about the health and wealth gospel Peter Popoff and his magical spring water comes to mind. I wish these cons found better things to do with their time than taking advantages of unsuspecting persons.

I’ll grant you that the media is no friend of religion–anyone’s Christian religion, that is. :wink: I never trust what they print about our people, either. Their stories are meant to get people interested in reading them and then make those superior beings who just go along with whatever they read feel like they have the right to cluck their tongues at those ignorant people they read about. Sick, quite sick indeed, and one day the media will have to answer for it.

If they were to ask Mr. Copeland about it, he would probably say that he gave no such instructions to his people–that they misconstrued his message about trusting in God. I always try to go to the source before deciding what I’ve read is true or not.

We should also admit that there are a good many well meaning folks who take a verse out of the Bible so they can say they stand on that, but to their own peril. This is why we need proper authority to interpret what God wishes us to know and do, yes?

Why would this story not be sensational? I would think it would get a lot of attention because first so many who are against vaccines would tout it as proof vaccines were not all they’re cracked up to be. Secondly it would be of interest to those who have had their children vaccinated, these parents would want to know why children still get measles even though they’ve been vaccinated. It would seem to me that an outbreak of disease among a vaccinated population would be more sensational, after all most people who have their kids vaccinated feel safe, secure and maybe even smug when they read about out breaks among un-vaccinated groups.

From the CDC:

What is the MMR vaccine?

The MMR vaccine is a shot that combines vaccines for three diseases—measles, mumps, and rubella. The vaccine protects children by preparing their bodies to fight the measles virus. Almost all children (95 out of 100) who get two doses of MMR vaccine will be protected from measles.
Why should my child get the MMR vaccine?

The risk of measles may be very high for unvaccinated U.S. residents who travel abroad. Measles is still common in other parts of the world, including countries in Europe, Asia, the Pacific, and Africa. Worldwide, about 20 million people get measles each year. So, two doses of MMR vaccine are recommended for all international travelers 12 months or older. Infants 6 through 11 months of age should get one does before traveling.

Bolding mine.
Do you have a link to a story of an outbreak of measles within a population where all or nearly all were properly vaccinated?

cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd-vac/measles/fs-parents.html

Jon

That was my question, which I didn’t have time yesterday to ask. The difference is pretty obvious. In a government run school school students are required to have the shots. Any outbreak would not be because they decided vaccinations were of the devil, but neglet or human error.
I see nothing sensational in this story, for once the media is simply stating the facts. Facts Copeland’s ministry can hardly deny. :shrug:

I remember my SIL talking about an outbreak in the early eighties in IL. When I googled it there was a CDC article about it. You can read the article here.

Thanks, Zaff.

Jon

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.