This is why we study the apologetics of our faith

Notice especially # 3 :rolleyes:

Gendron again…

Thank you for the link. I’m going to use this in RCIA & the Adult Faith Formation courses.

Lol they come to my church and they will mess around and get converted themselves

Yeah, that has already happened once. See Mike Gendron & GLC get a dose of counter evangelism (and don’t like it)

I thought this was a great effort which may well have paid off with conversions. It took guts and good study to be able to carry this off as they did.

MG’s tactics were tried at our parish a few years ago by the Baptist Church just up the street from our parish–kiddie corner from the Lutheran parish across the street, btw. The Baptists didn’t confront our people, but they put pamphlets on all the car windows dissing the teachings of the Church. Our priest at the time, who founded our parish (he’s since passed away–please say an Ave for the repose of his soul) got on the phone right away and complained to the Baptist church’s pastor. They never bothered our parish again.

I think our parish priests need to take the offensive when MG and his ilk do this kind of proselytizing. All the priests in his city ought to call him and complain loud and long and tell him if he ever tries anything of the kind again they’ll have them arrested for trespassing or whatever ordinance necessary to stop these kinds of overt attempts at shaming Catholics and targeting them in such ways. It’s a violation of Catholics’ civil rights. I don’t see them doing this to Lutherans or Jews or Muslims, after all. Sheesh! The man needs to be called on the carpet, and even more–he needs our prayers.

I’d love to join a group of knowledgeable Catholics and do the same thing they did. Confront this man in front of all his followers.

What irks me about his ilk is that I know he knows what the Church actually teaches - he just chooses to somehow distort it so he can further his agenda. Most of the anti-Catholic crowd are speaking out of pure ignorance, but this guy knows better and still keeps at it.

In short, he needs to find better things to do with his time.

:eek:

:nope:

A huge. Ugh …

:nope:

This must be a non-Catholic’s nightmare.

If a Catholic priest were to say these things the world would demand the “church” do something, the “church” as one that is the visible one. When a non-Catholic says these things the Christian population relys only on the HS to clean it up.

I think it is high time for all Christians to speak up in cleaning up this mess and calling it what it is and stop hiding behine the notion of a non visible church.:rolleyes: It is either visible for all or not visible for all.

Peace!!!

Part of the problem is the very thing you point out–that non-Catholic Christians do not and cannot speak with one voice about much of anything. MG is outside their control. Non-Catholics could protest all they wanted, but would he listen? No, I’m afraid not. It’s the same with the Jack Chick tracts. Most non-Catholics abhor them for the trash they are, but there are some who secretly cheer him on precisely because he attacks Catholicism–something they’d like to do but don’t have the guts to do.

I dont think it has to do with guts. I know many non-Catholics with more guts than needed but no mechanism to make a difference but at the same time expect the Catholic church to use its mechanism, the magisterium, and correct those Catholics who cross this sort of line.

Peace!!!

Not all needs guts, no but many do. People simply don’t want to get into the middle of another denomination’s tactics/business.

When it comes to Catholics, even our bishops can only do so much. They can admonish and perhaps even excommunicate members (in drastic cases), but other than that what can they do except ban such offenders from all legitimate ministries? If people want to strike out on their own, like many do, the bishops can do nothing about that.

Being a non-American, I’m not familiar with Mike Gendron, but I’d like to know more. Is he notorious for proselytizing among Catholics?

I think the folks from SPSE did the best possible job and we have to be very careful to insure that any confrontations are always in accordance with 1st Peter 3, right? Never a raised voice by one of us and always rational and full of grace.

If you click on the link in my sig line you’ll find a number of articles I’ve written in refutation of his propaganda. It’s how he makes his $$$$

Oh yeah…and I did run across a girl at a Chick Filet at the Mall who insisted that I take one of Chick’s tracts (This Was Your Life) in exchange for my copy of God’s Love for You which I took and asked her if she knew much about him. She said she did (which I doubt) but I now have a copy of Jimmy Akins awesome little book The Nightmare World of Jack T. Chick in my car door pocket with her in mind next time I’m out there.

To me…it’s all about giving people the facts and letting the Holy Spirit do His part.

God is faithful and his word will never return void.

Absolutely! We shall start an uprising! Peaceful of course! With all due respect, this buffoon needs to be confronted in real life. Not hiding behind a cd or a YouTube video.

It’s annoying certainly but the truly wonderful thing is that we don’t have to make a big deal out of it but simply counter with facts , scriptures, and verifiable history…none of which he wants to address because it blows him out of the water and he is exposed as a untrustworthy teacher (at best) and deceiver that he is (at worst) and most people will not follow someone like that.

If you look on my blog you will see a number of articles I have written that refute his stuff and it really does prove three statements from the New Testament.

James 3:1 "Not many of you should become teachers, my brothers, for you realize that we will be judged more strictly, "

2nd Timothy 2:15 “Carefully study to present thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly handling the word of truth.”

Luke 21:14 “Remember, you are not to prepare your defense beforehand, 15 for I myself shall give you a wisdom in speaking that all your adversaries will be powerless to resist or refute.*****”

As it is with Islamic physical violence, so also it is with spiritual violence in “bible” Christianity. No one is in authority. No one can decry it (or does).

I regret clicking that link

He’s not 'notorious". I doubt that the majority of Catholics have heard of him.

But he is familiar among Catholics who are used to defending their faith.

And yes, he does proselytize a very anti-Catholic message.

Indeed! This one was bad, but here’s his newest which, along with the letters he published make the former one seem almost tame.

Latest email newsletter…

Tragically, Catholics have been indoctrinated with a fatal flaw. They have been taught that salvation is dispensed through the sacraments by an installment method. Instead of passing from spiritual death to life, their salvation is said to be received piecemeal, a little at a time. This is why they are utterly dependent upon their priests for salvation. They have been taught that their priest administers baptism for regeneration and justification; he hears confession to absolve sin; he offers the body and blood of Jesus in the Eucharist; he imparts the Holy Spirit in the sacrament of Confirmation; he gives Last Rites for those who are dying; and he offers Mass for Catholic souls suffering in purgatory.

By the supreme authority of God’s Word, we can see that all of these teachings are completely false. Salvation from the power and punishment of sin is instantaneous, unconditional, and eternal. It occurs at the moment our sovereign God brings to life those who were dead in their sins (Eph. 2:1-5). He graciously grants repentance and gives the gift of faith to those who humbly receive and believe Christ and His Word (John 1:12-13; 2 Tim. 2:25; Jas. 4:6-8). The Lord Jesus calls those who are heavily burdened by legalistic rituals to come to Him for rest. To everyone who embraces Him with empty hands of faith, He offers an eternal relationship in exchange for their empty religion.

His use of scripture is terribly deceptive and is always cherry picked out of context as you’ll quickly see as you check his citations.

Furthermore, his teaching that salvation is “instantaneous, unconditional, and eternal” flies directly in the face of the words of Our Blessed Lord Jesus Christ who plainly tells us ,***And he said to all: If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow me. ***(Luke 9:23, Matthew 16:24, and Mark 8:34)

Calling our most holy faith “empty religion” is just unscriptural rhetoric since we have St. James (1:27) telling us very clearly, "
***Religion clean and undefiled before God and the Father, is this: to visit the fatherless and widows in their tribulation: and to keep one’s self unspotted from this world.***"

Have at it my brothers and sisters…there’s plenty go around.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.