This isn't cheating right?

We had a mix up in one of my college classes regarding the required textbook. I ordered a textbook that was first said to be the required book, but it was a mistake and the instructor changed it to another book. So I bought the correct textbook. I decided to keep the first, incorrect textbook because I wanted to have more practice problems to work on and I could check my answers (its a tough course). I have taken 2 quizzes, 2 questions each so far, and I have noticed that the instructor has taken 2 quiz questions straight from the book that I kept. Now, I don’t think I am cheating because I have no idea what the quiz/test questions are, I don’t memorize how to do the problems I am practicing, and I only use the non-required textbook for more practice. So my question is, me practicing from the first textbook is not cheating right?

No.

Got my answer. thanks

It’s not cheating - it’s a lucky break!

Keep it to yourself, make the most of it, and hope that your good fortune continues.

Think of the parable of the man who finds a treasure hidden in a field and then buys the field (Matt 13:44). If it were immoral for him to buy the field knowing something the owner doesn’t then Jesus would not use the parable as an illustration of righteousness.

That’s not cheating. It’s not like you are copying answers from the other book. You are learning the material and answering the questions based on what you have learned. Well done!

:rotfl: This really struck me as funny!

But, seriously OP, you are fine! :slight_smile:

I agree with all the prior answers, not cheating. This isn’t any different than going to the library and pulling extra reference materials to study with.

BTW: I had more than one prof that took the quiz questions almost verbatim out of the textbook (often with open notes). I asked him once about that, his answer, it’s a reward for those that study and worked the chapter problems. I would hazard a guess that your prof does the same thing.

He never assigned “homework” per say - just the time line for each topic and when he would be giving the assessment or when the projects were due.

It’s fine, I mean anyone could buy an extra textbook if they wanted to.

No. For one thing there is no guarantee that more questions will be taken from the first book. Generally, in any class a student has the option of studying outside material. Of course, if the quizzes are supposed to be closed book, you are wrong to use any book during the test.

If it isn’t cheating then you would be happy to ask this question of your instructor?

The OP is not obliged to give away an advantage which has been fairly obtained, and is being fairly used.

The instructor may stop using questions from the OP’s text book at any time - right up to the exam.

I know some lower grade teachers insist on a certain protocol in class (no doing other teachers homework, etc.) but, ultimately, the goal of ant course is for you to learn! If it
takes other books, trips to the library, or even hiring a tutor or auditing a similar course…your job is to learn the subject.

You should be applauded for spending extra time and money on this class. Don’t worry, you’re doing the right thing!

No.

The instructor knows full well they’re pulling their material from a publicly available source. In fact, he knows the students are aware this textbook exists and was considered for the course. It would be completely logical to assume a couple of students would either buy it when it was required, or would look it up as a secondary source.

If he was uncomfortable with using open source material for quizzes, he would make up his own.

Religious Ethics is primarily about right relationships not impersonal “right” actions unilaterally decided.

You are absolutely not cheating … you purchased the book to use for the course … the professor changed books … the fact that he is using problems from a textbook instead of making up his own is his problem. I wouldn’t give this a second thought.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.