This just really angered me

And please pardon if this is in the wrong place! I’m new here and still finding my way around. This board ROCKS, btw. I could read it for literal hours. Oh wait, I already do. :wink:

We attended a wedding yesterday at a Lutheran church. On one wall they had a bunch of pamphlets outlining what they believed in. (this particular Lutheran church was Missouri synod) I pulled out the ones regarding communion, confession and ordination of women. Was I dismayed–and angered, really–to read the pamphlet on communion which stated “We reject and condemn the Real Presence” along with other “we reject and condemn” statements. The pamphlet on ordaining women was the same thing, and the pamphlet on confession outlined why it was a good thing to confess to the pastor and God. Then I asked a woman what exactly the Lutheran divisions were, and she said that WELS was “ultra-conservative”, Missouri synod was “conservative”, and ELCA was (in her words) “too progressive”. In light of her explanations and what I read, I politely turned the conversation elsewhere.

So here’s the thing: certain Lutheran churches believe one thing; other Lutheran churches believe another. Then on our way home, I was inordinately aware of every church we passed–Grace Lutheran, Evangelical Lutheran, St. Stephen Lutheran. . . Free Baptist, First Baptist. . . Wesley Methodist, United Methodist, Allbright Methodist. . . Church of Christ, Evangelical Church of Christ, United Church of Christ. . . Assemblies of God, Foursquare Gospel. . . Covenant Evangelical, Christ the Lord Evangelical, Community Bible Evangelical. . . United Presbyterian, Trinity Presbyterian. . . I could go on and on and on.

And it just angered me–angers me still. It’s like, for goodness’ sake, can’t they get anything RIGHT?? I don’t know what was more upsetting to me, the fact that my Catholicism is so blatantly “rejected and condemned”, the fact that all these millions of divisions think their view of Jesus is the “correct” one, or the fact that I used to be one of these millions of divisions (Methodist, Baptist and Pentecostal in my protesting background).

I don’t know if I’m making any sense.

~~Jolie

Sounds like the street I ride through heading for work. There’s maybe 4 Catholic churches, 6 Baptist ones, several Methodist ones, 2 or so Lutheran ones - even churches right next to eachother. (all of this is on a stretch of Harford Road in Parkville, Hamilton and Lauraville in NE Baltimore).

It gets kinda ridiculus…I’ve seen ones like Grace Tabernacle and something like Green Forest Bible Church…What is a Bible Church?!

I see all kinds of odd names when I look up different churches (Google Earth has a whole section to find places like churches, schools, etc.), and I can’t even tell what denomination they are. I just assume Baptist, or some Baptist offshoot.

This church was obviously not faithful to the teachings of the LCMS. On their website, I found this. “8] Now, what is the Sacrament of the Altar?
Answer: It is the true body and blood of our Lord Jesus Christ, in and under the bread and wine which we
Christians are commanded by the Word of Christ to eat and to drink.” lcms.org/graphics/assets/media/LCMS/7_sacrament.pdf

Just think how **God **feels about it!

:eek:

Oh what a tangled web we weave,:hmmm:

When first we practice to deceive…:nope:

What gets me is how you have a church that allows another denomination to use it’s building for services. They see nothing wrong with it, one church is as good as another etc…

And I had an elderly lady, who attended several different churches according to her mood, puzzled how I could be a Catholic. She asked me why i couldn’t be a Baptist or something. I told her if I wasn’t a Catholic I would probably be an atheist.

Wow…what a tremendous scandal if there ever was one. The Holy Spirit brings unity in the teaching of faith and moral theology, and that unity is held in the one Catholic Church, not the how ever many thousands of Protestant churches. You have denominations against denominations, all inventing their own rules as to what makes one Christian. It must make Jesus weep.

Just to clarify…those in Heaven cannot weep. They are in eternal happiness and so can understand evil, but cannot feel bad because of it.

There is a Catholic parish in East Cleveland that had declining membership due to changing neighbourhood demographics. An Episcopal parish in the same area had the same problem, plus a building in disrepair that they could not afford to fix. Every Sunday now, the Catholic Mass is held first, then later in the morning there is an Episcopal Mass. The Catholic parish is renting out the church building for use by the Episcopal parish.

Certainly the OP was speaking figuratively.

BTW, on my way home from work the other day, I think I saw two “First Baptist Churches” within a mile of each other. :shrug:

In Rev. John A. O’Brien’s book Faith of Millions (originally published 1938, republished 1960), he mentions a number of divisions in the Baptist church, and one of them named “National Baptist Evangelical Life and Soul Saving.” Sounds more like an insurance company! :rolleyes:

Many are the times that I’ve said this… it would be a continuous :juggle: God Bless :slight_smile:

Our Luthern Church next door has a sign that states “Visit us this Sunday”. Our Catholic Church has a sign down the road that states “Worship with us Sunday”. Says a lot!:wink:

There’s nothing wrong with having more than one Catholic(or any other denomination for that matter) church within a mile of each other. When this happens, I ask these questions…

1. Is one of the churches regularly full in one of the Masses?
  2. Does one church have particularly good music or architecture/sculptures/art?
  3. Was one of the churches built a very long time after the first was? Was this due to overflowing of the first church?
  4. Were both churches built at the same time? Was it out of fear that one wouldn’t be enough for the locals?
  5. Does one of the churches have a particularly good speaker, particularly comforting priest, paticularly good laity programs/activities?
  6. Does one church refuse to stop liturgical abuses?

I’m sure you all could come up with many more. If it’s out of sheer competition, then they probably should just merge and have more property, volunteers, and just plain more!

The Church now calls them “ecclesial communities” after VII.

I call them “social clubs.” :coffeeread:

Whit

I absolutely love that smiley…off-topic I know, sorry.

It’s possible that many of these churches have been around for a long time. Perhaps at one point they may have been nationality based. For instance, in Cleveland, back in the late 19th through mid 20th century, the Irish went to one parish, the Italians went to another, the Germans had their own, etc. For the most part now, with the exception of a small handful of parishes, people of every nationality belong to any given parish. Years ago, that was not the case. So the plethora of parishes in an area may be a remnant of the nationality parish phenomenon. This was similar in Protestant faiths too; they also had nationality parishes/congregations.

It is amazing… amazingly simple and a great part as to why I became a Catholic.
Blessings~

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.