THIS made me..

irritated!! i read an “explanation” of the false predictions of the watchtower regarding the end times written by a jw. he stated that the society never made any predictions, only interpretations of the end time. yeah right! i specifically recall as a jw when discussing 1975 with a woman i was studying with told me they don’t like to talk about 1975. well, if it was only an “interpretation” and not a prediction, then why would she have skirted the issue when i brought it up? and why was she uncomfortable discussing it? if it is just an interpretation as that one chap claims it was, then they have nothing to be crabby about when someone brings up the failed
"interpretations" of the end do they?

we can interpret things, doesn’t mean we are right, but we can interpret things. i get so dismayed when i see them trying to cover over their failures with easily explained words so that their members are blinded again. the woman who had been calling upon me demanded me to prove to her beyond a shadow of a doubt that the society indeed stated that 1975 would be the year armageddon would strike. i said, gladly!

i have found proof and they even state in their own publications that there were reports of “brothers” selling their homes and giving up everything as the end was expected or anticipated to arrive because the so called creative years since adam had ended. well, if they did not predict it, then why were so many “brothers” selling their homes and not taking high paying jobs or building a career? duh. because they expected 1975 to bring about armageddon that is why! and also, why would they have need of a career is armageddon was to happen in 1975 anyways?

remember dear sisters and brothers, it was ONLY interpretation!! ( err whatever :mad: ) don’t bother to be dismayed with the society dear brothers and sisters because it was only interpretation! don’t mind the fact dear brothers and sisters, that 1 million witnesses left us because of the interpretation! baloney! if it was just interpretation, and a guess, why did so many leave? uhhhh because you made a false prophecy DEAR governing body and THAT is WHY they left!

same thing about the generation of 1914! oh dear brothers and sisters, that was ONLY interpretation!!! it wasn’t a prophecy! baloney! it was so! if it wasn’t a prophecy, then WHY would they have put the little quote about the generation in the old magazines and suddenly change it in the 90’s?

DUH. hogwash! ever read the little quote inside the watchtower magazine in the center on top left page? someone refresh my memory please as to what it stated. please post it here. they make lying fools out of themselves. prophecy is predicting coming events, intepretation is different. not a prophecy! man, how they love to mince words! how they love to use simple words to cover over the truth!! denial is the longest river in Egypt! ( dear brothers and sisters )

see the meanings below for interpretation and prophecy:

Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.0.1) - Cite This Source
in·ter·pre·ta·tion /ɪnˌtɜrprɪˈteɪʃən/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[in-tur-pri-tey-shuhn] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun 1. the act of interpreting; elucidation; explication: This writer’s work demands interpretation.
2. an explanation of the meaning of another’s artistic or creative work; an elucidation: an interpretation of a poem.
3. a conception of another’s behavior: a charitable interpretation of his tactlessness.
4. a way of interpreting.
5. the rendering of a dramatic part, music, etc., so as to bring out the meaning, or to indicate one’s particular conception of it.
6. oral translation.
dictionary.reference.com/

(Pronunciation Key)in·ter·pre·ta·tion Listen: n-tûrpr-tshn ]
n.

The act or process of interpreting.

A result of interpreting.

a. An explanation or conceptualization by a critic of a work of literature, painting, music, or other art form; an exegesis. b. A performer’s distinctive personal version of a song, dance, piece of music, or role; a rendering.

yourdictionary.com/ahd/i/i0196100.html

proph·e·cy Listen: prf-s ]
n. pl. proph·e·cies -sz ]

a. An inspired utterance of a prophet, viewed as a revelation of divine will. b. A prediction of the future, made under divine inspiration. c. Such an inspired message or prediction transmitted orally or in writing.

The vocation or condition of a prophet.

A prediction.
yourdictionary.com/ahd/p/p0600200.html

prophecy
View results from: Dictionary | Thesaurus | Encyclopedia | All Reference | the Web

Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.0.1) - Cite This Source
proph·e·cy /ˈprɒfəsi/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[prof-uh-see] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun, plural -cies. 1. the foretelling or prediction of what is to come.
2. something that is declared by a prophet, esp. a divinely inspired prediction, instruction, or exhortation.
3. a divinely inspired utterance or revelation: oracular prophecies.
4. the action, function, or faculty of a prophet.

[Origin: 1175–1225; ME prophecie < OF < LL prophétīa < Gk prophéteía. See prophet, -y3]
Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.0.1)
Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2006.

dictionary.reference.com/browse/prophecy

The same was given to me as an explanation about Mormon “prophets”. If what they say isn’t in vogue any longer or if it didn’t come true then the “prophet” was speaking as a man in that instance. It can be very mind numbing.

in Christ
Steph

Hi Marilena

Here is the quote you are looking for from the Watchtower Magazine: the Purpose of the Watchtower is to exalt Jehovah God as Sovereign Lord of the universe. It keeps watch on the world events as these fulfill bible prophecy. It comforts all peoples with the good news that God’s Kingdom will soon destroy those who oppress their fellowmen and that it will turn the earth into a paradise. It encourages faith in God’s now-reigning King, Jesus Christ, whose shed blood opens the way for mankind to gain eternal life. The Watchtower, published by the Jehovah’s Witness continuously since 1879, is nonpolitical. it adheres to the Bible as it authority.

I think this is what you were looking for.
JeanneH

no… iam looking for the one that is pre 1995. this is their new version. where they changed the title. does anyone have the older one?

I’ve actually re-ordered a book on the history of millennial thinking over the last 2000 years. I’ve read it before and then lent it to a friend. I let him keep it and decided to order a new.

Anyway, in short, the book has a good section about this. And when I get access to it soon , I’ll review this section and respond if I can find it. :slight_smile:

**I’m just wondering where this leaves falsified prophecies in the Bible. **

**Predictions were made by Ezekiel that…er…did not come to pass: cf. chaps. 26 & 29. He also prophesied a forty-year desolation of Egypt. Didn’t happen - Egypt has never been desolate. **

And there are the NT predictions of the Second Coming… “Behold, I come quickly” are almost the last words of Rev. 22: & we are still waiting - over 1900 years later. Sometimes I wonder whether the whole business about the SC isn’t just a massive misunderstanding.

Deut. 18 says that a prophet who prophecies falsely has not been sent by God - unfulfilled prophecies, predictive or not, are therefore not “of God”. ##

nevermind, i see what sc means. are you saying ezekiel was not a true prophet then? And John also? sounds to me like your doubting Christ coming again? Christ has never lied to us before, why would He not come a second time when He says He is going to?

makes no sense for Him to say He is going to come, then just not show up. He will show up. does it really matter whether its in our lifetime or not? no. why be impatient
for Him to come? He will come when the appointed time by God happens and not a second before.

patience is a virtue is it not? have faith, and put your complete trust in God.

okay, i found the header that was in their old watchtower mags:

“Most important, this magazine builds confidence in the Creator’s promise of a peaceful and secure new world before the generation that saw the events of 1914 passes away”

this was in the mags before they changed their doctrine on
the 1914 generation.

it no longer states that because their prediction about that generation failed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.