This mass has ended please help asap

I work at a Church and they say this mass never ends… The Pastor says it MUST change to this Mass has ended. I was wondering how to explain WHY we must have the Mass end. Is there a link someone could point me to :slight_smile:

Thanks

First of all, we need to use the text that the Church gives us. The current English translation of the Roman Missal specifically gives three optoins:

A. Go in the peace of Christ.
B. The Mass is ended, go in peace.
C. Go in peace to love and serve the Lord.

It is forbidden to deviate from the text that the Church gives us for the Mass. While the Roman Missal will give an option “these or similar words”, such does not exist for the dismissal. The revised English translation of the Roman Missal has more options:

Go forth, the Mass is ended.

Or: Go and announce the Gospel of the Lord.

Or: Go in peace, glorifying the Lord by your life.

Or: Go in peace.

Note that “this Mass never ends” is not one of them.

The Mass gives us a foretaste of the heavenly Wedding Feast of the Lamb. It is the point where heaven and earth, and time and space intersect. However, while the enternal liturgy is one that we will experience when our earthly journey is over (past Purgatory, at least for me–after a lengthy stay there), the Mass itself concludes with the dismissal. That is not to say that the fruits of the Mass end because, as the revised third option tells us, we glorify the Lord by our lives. However, we don’t have the freedom to change the official texts of the Mass at will.

sanctamissa.org/en/resources/books/calvary/the-ite-missa-est.html
This is a link to an excellent exerpt (The Ite Missa Est) of Sancta Missa, Calvary and the Mass by the late Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen

I have never ever heard a priest that says this. It sounds to me the priest is trying to make things right again my saying exactly what should be said at the end of Mass.

I’ve only ever heard two ways of ending the Mass:

The Mass is ended go in peace, or
Go in peace to love and serve the Lord.

I’ve also heard this:
The Mass is ended go in peace to love and serve the Lord.

I don’t recall ever hearing a variation of it, though. I agree with benedictgal. If you have been saying the mass never ends, then you have been wrong and it just seems the priest is trying to get you back on track, that’s all.

Saying the Mass never ends was an inappropriate statement initiated or at least promoted by LifeTeen. They were supposed to have reformed and stopped this, but the practice has spread outside and beyond the group. Google the phrase and all sorts of things come up.

Our (by-the-book) pastor would agree with you that the Mass never ends. (what we do in church extends to our lives outside of church) So instead of saying “The Mass is ended, go in peace,” he simply uses the option that says, “Go in peace to love and serve the Lord”

Of course the Mass – the liturgy – ends. The fruits of the Mass continue but the liturgy of the Mass itself ends when the sacrifice has been offered and we consume the Body and Blood of Christ. To say or imply anything else is incorrect.

This thread is bringing back memories. The Latin Mass ends with

Ite Missa est:
“Go, the Mass is finished”

The people/server respond:

Deo Gratias
“Thanks be to God.”

I saw my Father smile over this several times, especially on really hot days.

Thank you for this link. “Calvary & the Mass” by Bishop Sheen should be a must read for every Catholic. I love this part:

**“It is finished.”-John 19:30.

OUR Blessed Savior now comes to the Ite, missa est of His Mass, as He utters the cry of triumph: “It is finished”.**

Until I read Bishop Sheen’s book…many years ago…I really didn’t understand the words of John’s Gospel correctly:
“When Jesus had received the vinegar, he said, ‘It is finished’; and he bowed his head and gave up his spirit”

• John 19:17-30
    When I was much younger, I thought He was mourning that His life on earth was finished, when what He was saying was, “I’ve DONE it, it’s over, I can return to my heavenly home.” It was a moment that was definitely triumphant. I pray to God that when my own moment comes, I will have led such a life that I can also exclaim with JOY, “It is finished”.

If I recall correctly, “Ite missa est” was actually a civil dismissal that was appropriated by the ancient Church. A more accurate translation is actually “Go, it is the dismissal.” I really love Sheen’s biblical explanation, though.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.