This Month's Blood Moon

This month will be another Blood Moon. Some Christians believe this is a sign the end of the world is near.
Do Catholics believe that?

Nope. Well, some Catholics might. But not as a whole I’m sure.

No it isn’t a Catholic belief although I’m sure there are all kinds that believe certain things.

Since it isn’t visible in the northern area hemisphere, does that mean only half the world will end?

The Bible does refer to a blood moon Joel 2:31 RSV The sun shall be turned to darkness, and the moon to blood, before the great and terrible day of the LORD comes. The problem with these predictions is they don’t go back and look at how blood moons referred to in the Bible actually occurred. For instance Peter on Pentecost in Acts Acts 2:19-22 RSV And I will show wonders in the heaven above and signs on the earth beneath, blood, and fire, and vapor of smoke; 20 the sun shall be turned into darkness and the moon into blood, before the day of the Lord comes, the great and manifest day. 21 And it shall be that whoever calls on the name of the Lord shall be saved.’ 22 "Men of Israel, hear these words: Jesus of Nazareth, a man attested to you by God with mighty works and wonders and signs which God did through him in your midst, as you yourselves know-- They saw a partial lunar eclipse near the horizon. It is the atmospheric extinction that reddens the sun and moon near the horizon.
There is more to say, but this is enough for now.
Grace and peace,
Bruce

:man_facepalming:t4:

Between April 2014 and September 2015, there were FOUR blood moons – one every six months or so.

Oh, the prophecies were flying! The end is near! Send money today so we can spread the word!

And here we are… still…

Blood moons happen All. The. Time. There is nothing spiritual about them, except in their beauty, if you happen to be able to see the eclipse and give glory to God for His creation. :+1:t4:

My son and I drove to Wyoming to see the solar eclipse last August. Again, the world didn’t come to an end. But we were totally praising God for the wonder of this event – it was soooooo beautiful.

@Hope1960 If you’re actually worried about things like solar and lunar eclipses every time they come up, please seek help from someone in real life. These events happen waaaaaay more often than most people realize, and the end hasn’t arrived yet. Be at peace.

Given how often such moons occur, that notion is objectively goofy.

hawk

Just so you can get a sense of how there is nothing to worry about with any one given eclipse, check out this list of eclipses that will take place in the next 10 years.

no they dont.

thats not what hope is referring to. hope gets a bit fixated on these issues. please dont enciurage it with error

No.
Catholics aren’t into superstitious garbage.
Not to mention the fact that “blood moon” refers to a lunar eclipse and we have several of them per year. They’re pretty ordinary.

I saw the special blood moon early this year, back in January. It was very beautiful. We got out of the house and sat in the front yard to gaze at the moon, something that rarely happens. It was my first time to see a lunar eclipse. #memories

Some people will believe anything.

My protestant grandparents are all convinced that the end is nigh. I am pretty sure that their grandparents were convinced that the end is nigh. I’m pretty sure that their grandparents, in turn, were also convinced that the end is nigh.

When’s the blood moon and where? It is an interesting celestial event and I want to see it.

Are you sure you want to use such technical philosophical terms in a forum geared to all educational levels?

I lived through so many the last couple of years I lost count and stopped caring…

John Haggee will probably make another fortune selling his crappy books.

I’d buy that for a dollar.

Dunno about EOW but where can you see this blood? Hope in Europe too.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.