This morning our new Pastor was installed

Is the Installation of a Pastor a ceremony routinely done in your diocese? This priest is in his late 60s and it's only the second time he's been installed, a ceremony he says was unknown here until the last bishop revived, or introduced, it.

Our pastor was installed by the dean of the deanery.

All our Priests are installed at an evening service to allow the whole deneary to come as always in the Anglican Church and the Bishop is present and even a licencing clerk because they are needed to precide over the priest obtaining licencing too ie weddings etc. Its a full on celebration when our priests are installed. Its a full on glorious celebration.

[quote="Phemie, post:1, topic:298735"]
Is the Installation of a Pastor a ceremony routinely done in your diocese? This priest is in his late 60s and it's only the second time he's been installed, a ceremony he says was unknown here until the last bishop revived, or introduced, it.

[/quote]

Bishop Henry has being officially installing "new" Pastors this go round.

The ceremony gets a couple of points across:

The Pastor is there because of the Bishop.

The Pastor is in charge of the Parish.

I by chance attended mass at St. Anthony's when the new pastor was installed.

[quote="triumphguy, post:4, topic:298735"]
Bishop Henry has being officially installing "new" Pastors this go round.

The ceremony gets a couple of points across:

The Pastor is there because of the Bishop.

The Pastor is in charge of the Parish.

I by chance attended mass at St. Anthony's when the new pastor was installed.

[/quote]

Yes, I love the way those points are put across and I also like that the congregation is also asked if they will
Bring their children to Baptism
Come to Confession
Call the pastor for their sick
Listen to the Word
Receive Communion
etc.

[quote="Phemie, post:1, topic:298735"]

[/quote]

Congratulations! I know you have been patiently (anxiously) waiting for this.

We do have installations here but I don't think they happen each time. I guess I will find out soon since our pastor is near the end of his second "term" and due to get rotated.

I’m so happy you have a pastor now Phemie.

Our pastor was installed last Sunday by our regional bishop. He became our pastoral administrator a little over two years ago and was named pastor several months ago. He is a professor at our seminary and having a priest teach more or less full time and run a parish is something new for our archdiocese.

I don’t remember the installation of our first pastor but I remember the installation of our second pastor. (The current pastor is our third since our parish was established.)

We have intstalled 3 new pastors this past month in Haines Junction, Telegraph Creek and Fort Nelson. Finally our Bishop can take a breather from travelling from mission to mission. We still need more though as all of our Pastors have to cover 2 or more missions.

I have never seen an “Installation” ceremony. :o

Basically the Bishop walks the priest around from the Ambo to the Altar, to the Confessional and the Baptism font and says a pray at each.

Yep: I think it’s a good reminder.

[quote="triumphguy, post:10, topic:298735"]
Basically the Bishop walks the priest around from the Ambo to the Altar, to the Confessional and the Baptism font and says a pray at each.

[/quote]

It started after the Homily with the Chair of the Parish Coordinators (similar to Pastoral Council) asking the Bishop,
"Your Excellency, will you install Fr. X as our new Pastor?"

The Bishop replied,
"Do you have the letter of appointment?"
"Yes, your Excellency."
"Please read the letter."
She read the letter and then the Bishop took the new Pastor around to the
Font -->Confessional-->Ambry-->Ambo-->Altar-->Chair

At each location he asked him if he was going to do specifically applied to that site, to which the Pastor replied, "With God's help, I will."

Each time the Bishop asked the congregation if they would in turn do their part and they gave the same response.

Then the Pastor read his promise and his Profession of Faith, signed the papers of installation in duplicate (I noted that both the Pastor and the Bishop are southpaws :))
and Mass continued with the Prayers of the Faithful.

[quote="Phemie, post:5, topic:298735"]
Yes, I love the way those points are put across and I also like that the congregation is also asked if they will
...]
Come to Confession

[/quote]

I can't help but wonder how many were telling the truth when they answered in the affirmative to that one.

While this is all nice and sentimental, what really matters is that people follow through with these things. How many babies are baptized with the parents promising to raise them in the Catholic faith, yet go un/under-catechized?

Well a reminder from the Bishop can’t hurt!

Glad to hear you have a new pastor at last, Phemie! :)

[quote="corsair, post:9, topic:298735"]
I have never seen an "Installation" ceremony. :o

[/quote]

Neither have I, but I know they are the norm in the archdiocese.

When our current pastor was installed two years ago, I was at the cathedral. I deliberately did not go to the installation because I didn't care and wasn't planning to establish any sort of dialogue with him (long story that has nothing to do with the priest himself, for whom I had no feelings one way or another...a situation that has since changed completely as he is now very, very dear to me). So I don't know what happened during the installation, but I do know the bishop wasn't there. The installation was performed by someone I've never seen before nor since; I'm sure he wasn't the current dean. Maybe the previous one...? We got the current dean at the same time as the current pastor.

Reading the descriptions given by others above, I quite regret not having attended but there's nothing I can do about that now.

We had an installation for our new pastor last year, and it was a first both for him and for our parish.

I absolutely loved the ceremony, and was thrilled that the church was packed to the gills for it. We'd had our previous pastor for over 20 years, so I wasn't sure how well the parish would take to a new one (and from a new order to boot), but he was welcomed with open arms!

I'm not sure if this is something happening more frequently in our archdiocese or not, but based on the posts here it looks like it's a custom that's getting revived in a few places.

[quote="solayan, post:16, topic:298735"]
We had an installation for our new pastor last year, and it was a first both for him and for our parish.

I absolutely loved the ceremony, and was thrilled that the church was packed to the gills for it. We'd had our previous pastor for over 20 years, so I wasn't sure how well the parish would take to a new one (and from a new order to boot), but he was welcomed with open arms!

I'm not sure if this is something happening more frequently in our archdiocese or not, but based on the posts here it looks like it's a custom that's getting revived in a few places.

[/quote]

I was asking our Bishop about that and he mentioned that he had never seen it until he became Auxiliary Bishop in Toronto, where it's a regular occurrence. Our former Bishop had brought the practice to this diocese.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.