This semi-atheist tried asking me about this

hello…i had an exchnage of words with i think a semi-athiest…or should i say bible non-believer…yet he’s not a Muslim…

here it goes:

dude this is what i’m trying to pint out…see this?

Jn.14:27
"Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you.“
Mt.10:34
"Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword.”

…what’s the first thing that comes to your mind reading those two lines? Isn’t it contradicting? therefore, is the BIBLe really God’s word or not…?

I’ve read Mt.10:34…i think he missed to point out the essence of the te whole Mt. 10

but I want to be sure so…again I’m asking your inputs regarding this kind of claim…thanks in advance!

Peace!

janry

The Bible is not showing any flaws, even in this passage. Take even the meaning of these two passages, “My peace I give you”, and “Think not the I came to send peace on Earth”

He gives His peace to His people, not to all of the Earth. You can see when you look around that there is not peace on Earth, and yet there are people who have peace.

I hope this helps.

I think this pretty much is the answer to the apparent contradiction. If I may add…

Jesus’ peace is not world peace, indeed, as can be seen, by simply rejecting Him, there is no peace. After all it’s obvious, if everyone accepted Jesus’ peace, there would be world peace (just as if everyone accepted any, one thing, theologically speaking).

Jesus, being God, knew this though, knew there would be some who would not accept Him, and thus, knew that what He was/is bring is not world peace, but a “sword”, that is, division among people: the people that accept Him, and the people that reject Him.

oh…exactly!

thanks guys!

PEACE!

janry

semi-atheist ?

**That’s like “a little pregnant”!:slight_smile: **

It’s also taken out of context. Jesus does want His people to have peace, but that other quote is talking about loving God above all things. If you follow Christ and your husband, wife, mother, father, etc. refuses to accept God’s truth, you are not to compromise your faith for the sake of familial harmony. I love my mother, but i won’t be sending my kids to stay with her for the summer because she’s a fruit bat and i don’t want her filling their heads with ****. Jesus expects you to do things like this to preserve your faith as well as the faith of your children. By being true to Him, you will gain His peace. These statements only contradict each other when taken out of context. This is why you need one, holy, Catholic, and apostolic Church to clarify things like that.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.