This Sunday in the liturgical calendar

I’m hopefully going to an EF this Sunday; I was setting up my missal, and I noticed that there were several options: various “resumed Sundays after Epiphany” and the Last Sunday After Pentecost. Which is it?

Had the same question. Which Sunday do we have this year?

Fifth after Epiphany (i.e. this Sunday, the 7th)

Agree. It’s listed on our parish calendar as Resume 5th Sunday after Epiphany.

Awesome thanks! My parish’s bulletin listed it as the 25th Sunday after Pentecost; needless to say I was confused. :stuck_out_tongue:

In the traditional missal there are 24 Sundays after Pentecost. The 24th is always the last one before Advent (this year 21st November).

If the 23rd is on the same day, that is skipped (according to the 1960 Rubrics, or celebrated on the previous Saturday, as before 1960) This will be the case in 2011.

If it is much earlier, (like this year in 31st of October was the 23rd Sunday after Pentecost, and was superseded by Christ the KIng) – than the so called resumed Sundays after Epiphany are counted backwards, like this year. In this year Nov 14 is the 6th resumed, Nov 7 the 5th.

Since there are the total of 53 Sundays always there is enough; usually one is skipped or was celebrated before 1960 either in the Saturday before Septuagesima (like e.g this year) or the Saturday before the 24th after Pentecost.

I’m working from memory (don’t have my Missal with me at the moment), but I think you’ll also need one marker on the 23rd Sunday after Pentecost. I think that the Introit, Gradual, etc are taken from the 23rd Sunday after Pentecost, the Collect, Secret, Postcommunion amd readings afre from the remaining Sundays after the Epiphany. As I say, I’m working from memory so if someone would like to correct me…

That is correct. The Introit, Gradual, etc (the parts that are sung by the choir at a Missa Cantata) are from the 23rd Sunday after Pentecost. The rest, as Mark mentioned, are taken from the appropriate Sunday after Epiphany. I forget which old missal it is, but there is one where you would just have to go to the appropriate Sunday after Epiphany. Because, for example, for the Introit it has the one if it is before Septuagesima Sunday, then the one from the 23rd Sunday after Pentecost.

If I counted right there are 25 Sundays after Pentecost this year.

In that case, according to my 1950 St Joseph’s Daily Missal, November 7 uses the 23rd Sunday after Pentecost, which appears to be a complete mass.

November 14 uses additional mass number 4. This mass shares Prayer, Epistle, Gospel, Secret and Postcommunion from the 6th Sunday after Epiphany.

November 21 uses the Last Sunday after Pentecost and November 28 is the 1st Sunday of Advent.

Some people may find this helpful. I’ve got an old missal that belonged to my grandmother that, instead of using the charts some people find confusing, describes in words this situation. The text reads as follows:

The Mass given below for the 24th Sunday is always celebrated on the last Sunday of the series, whether it is the 25th, 26th, 27th or 28th.

To make up the number of Masses after Pentecost when there are more than 24, the Masses after the Epiphany are used, which had to be omitted because of the occurrence of Septuagesima, but in each case the Chants (Introit, Gradual, Offertory and Communion) are invariably that of the 23rd Sunday after Pentecost.

If there are 25 Sundays after Pentecost, on the 24th the Prayers, Epistle and Gospel are taken from the 6th Sunday after the Epiphany.

If there are 26 Sundays after Pentecost, on the 24th Sunday the Prayers, Epistle and Gospel are taken from the 5th Sunday after the Epiphany and on the 25th the same parts from the 6th Sunday after the Epiphany.

If there are 27 Sundays after Pentecost, on the 24th Sunday the Prayers, Epistle and Gospel are taken from the 4th Sunday after the Epiphany; on the 25th the same parts of the 5th Sunday after the Epiphany; on the 26th the same parts of the 6th Sunday after the Epiphany.

If there are 28 Sundays after Pentecost, on the 24th Sunday the Prayers, Epistle and Gospel are taken from the 3rd Sunday after the Epiphany; on the 25th the same parts of the 4th Sunday after the Epiphany; on the 26th the same parts from the 5th Sunday after the Epiphany; on the 27th the same parts from the 6th Sunday after the Epiphany.

A bit long-winded perhaps, but at least it makes everything fairly clear. Hope this helps.:smiley:

Mark

II can still learn new things.  I went to the old mass for 20+ years before the new one started and never noticed that the chants for the extra Sundays were all the same. :o

Thanks for your explanation, it is very clear - Joe K.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.