This was news to me, and I'm not sure it's correct

I talk to everybody in the grocery store, and there was a man who I recognized in the dress of a Greek Orthodox priest. We were talking, small talk, then I asked him a question that floored me. My youngest son is dating a girl who is a practicing Armenian Orthodox. I asked the priest about what protocol would be if down the road they decide to marry.

He told me that he belonged to “The Real Church,” and if my son wanted to marry in an Orthodox church, he would have to be re-baptized as Orthodox. This left me scratching my head, because if I attend an Orthodox Liturgy, I can receive Communion, even though I know it does not fulfill my Sunday obligation.

The Catholic Church recognizes one Trinitarian baptism. Could this guy have been a rogue priest? Or is he right?

I am surprised that you receive in the Orthodox church because, as I was told, THEY do not allow Catholics to receive for the very reason that the priest stated to you…they don’t recognize our baptism as valid, hence the “need” in their eyes for re-baptism. Now if an Orthodox wanted to become Catholic we would recognize ALL their sacraments and they would just have to make a Profession of Faith and be admitted to the Catholic rite that corresponds to their rite.

I’m amazed you can receive Communion in an Orthodox parish. They usually are more protective of the Eucharist because of their small and familiar communities they know most parishioners and would ask any new person if they are Orthodox or not. And usually they would deny any non-Orthodox Communion.

Constantine, how many times must you be told that communion is given to Catholics much more often then some people are willing to admit?

Most Oriental Orthodox (Armenian was mentioned in the OP), do require re baptism of RCs. It is not as common to re baptize RCs in the Eastern Orthodox churches.

It may be given but I do believe it’s EO policy not to admit LCs to Communion. I also think it’s correct to say that LCs shouldn’t be seeking sacraments from any Eastern Church except the Catholic ones unless they can’t access then without grave difficulty from the Catholic Church.

I’m glad you cleared that up. I didn’t know the position of the OOs but I thought the EOs recognised our sacraments.

He is speaking for the Greek Orthodox Church, I presume. I have a friend who was Catholic and married a Greek Orthodox man, but did not convert until years later to the Greek Orthodox Church. She was rebaptized and Chrismated at that time. I do not know if they were married in the Catholic or Greek Orthodox Church.

My neice, who is Catholic, married an Armenian Orthodox. in his Orthodox church. She did NOT have to change her religion or be rebaptized. Both of her children, however, were baptized and chrismated in the Armenian Orthodox Church.

I also have friends who were married in the Ukranian Orthodox Church. He is Catholic, she is Orthodox. He did not convert, he remained Catholic.

I do not presume to know much about Orthodox practices, but it seems that there are various rules in this matter depending on which Church, at least in the 3 Churches I have friends and relatives associated with.

BTW, Orthodox weddings are awesome!

I’m not saying it’s right or wrong to receive the sacraments from the Orthodox here (I’ll save that for another thread :slight_smile: ) all I’m saying is that it happens and happens much more frequently then people (especially here on CA) are willing to admit. I personally have been invited to communion on many different occasions in the Orthodox church by priests and Bishops who knew full well I am a Catholic.

The Greeks have been rebaptizing those already baptized in the name of the Holy Trinity for centuries now. I’m not surprised.

You’ll never get a straight answer on this, although they’ll often say “out of economy, we only do X”.

But this priest had no right talking like if (if I’m clear as to how he was talking) because the Armenian Church is not in communion with the Greek Church and its subsidiaries.

Can I resolve an issue here?

I’m a Latin Catholic. My understanding is this from the Latin Church’s perspective: if X was baptised and the minister of baptism had the correct intent, the correct matter (water) was used, and the correct form said (the Trinitarian formula: “I baptise you in the name of the Father, and the Son, and the Holy Spirit”) and (you may say I’m now getting pedantic, I prefer precise) there is no doubt of fact or validity of the baptism the Latin Church will never baptism again. The minister may have been a Latin Catholic, Easter Catholic, Eastern Orthodox, Oriental Orthodox, Assyrian, Protestant, non-Christian, agnostic, or atheist, minister of religion or lay person. Baptism is given once and for all.

Do you Eastern Chrisitian Churches reject the validity of Baptisms even administered by Churches such as the Latin Catholic Church? Do they believe Baptism can be administered more than once? I know Latin Catholics believe that Confirmation can only ever be administered once but I believe some Eastern Christian Churches believe Chrismation can be given more than once.

Eastern Orthodox is different than Eastern Catholic. That is the important to remember. Eastern Catholic is in full communion. Eastern Orthodox is still is schism. BTW - some of the Eastern Orthodox Churches have been in schism as late as 1035. Some have been in schism as early as the Council as Nicea. The Great Schism was not a clearly defined moment in time. For the ones that left early - the main issue was the Theology of the Trinity.

Just so I can clarify.

I have received the Eucharist once in an Orthodox Church. It was at a wedding. The priest made no mention that this was disallowed, probably because he thought everyone there was Orthodox. So, my bad.

I really had no idea over the intense division between the two Churches. I only know of The Great Schism, and apparently misunderstood that, too.

I’ve been to Maronite & Byzantine Masses, and I know those are no problem, because the Churches are faithful to the Magisterium.

I’m humbly going to read in the other forums, and learn what I need to really know.

Thank you all so much.

Yes, they are! But did your niece have to promise to raise children in the Orthodox Church?

This, I had absolutely no idea.Thank you.

So Pax - have you talked to your son about this - where does your son stand on this issue?

I appreciate that the Body of Christ (the Church) has been fractured. What I was asking was about the recognition of the validity of sacraments between the Latin Church and the various Eastern Churches.

Right, and I was trying to answering it by demonstrating you through a history lesson that not all of the Eastern Orthodox believe in the Trinity which is a fundamental part of our Baptism.

WOW! :eek: Can you clarify that? I have never, ever seen Church documents (from the Catholic perspective) that say that. Now, if you are referring to the Filioque and the fact it is not in Orthodoxy’s Tradition, that is not the same as saying they don’t believe in the Trinity. But, that’s a whole other issue. Please clarify.
God Bless,
Pakesh

Again it depends on which Orthodox you are talking about - you had several such as the Ethiopian that were out of Communion as early as the Council of Nicea/Council of Trent - I will get you documents in a moment - that is part of the schism that is getting closed due to the Holy Father’s tireless work - and of course it would not be in the documents as of a Catholic perspective because Catholics should be concerned about taking Sacraments in Catholic Churches and where they can go in EMERGENCIES, not who left and what they have been doing for the last 1500 years.

Here it is - and by the way - yes the Filoque is the same as saying they do not believe in the Trinity - or I guess I should say do not accept the Trinity in the same manner which is what makes the Baptism suspect to one Church or the other - and you CANNOT lump all Orthodox together - it is an impossibility

malankaraorthodoxchurch.in/index.php?Itemid=219&id=129&option=com_content&task=view

Now I am sure you can go and find Ethiopian, Geise Rite, Syrian, etc that will have seperate and slightly different takes on the same thing.

Back when I was learning about other forms of Christianity, I knew it was between Catholic and Orthadox, and I think I remember reading that while the Catholic Church wil acknowledge any baptism in the nme of the father, son and holy spirit, while Orthadox christians don’t see it as valid unless it’s done by an orthadox. I may be wrong though, it’s been like a year and a half lol.

Not yet. He is very strongly Catholic. I’m probably jumping the gun on marriage. I really like this girl, and hope they marry. However, doctrinal issues are extremely important, so I would like to be educated about this before I bring it up. He is very open with me & my husband, so when the time is right, I hope the Holy Spirit comes out of my mouth.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.