This Was the Week the World Got Really Anxious About Globalization's Future

Weak global trade, fears that the U.K. is marching towards a hard Brexit, and polls indicating that the U.S. election remains a tighter call than markets are pricing in have led a bevy of analysts to redouble their warnings that a backlash over globalization is poised to roil global financial markets—with profound consequences for the real economy and investment strategies.

From the economists and politicians at the annual IMF meeting in Washington to strategists on Wall Street trying to advise clients, everyone seems to be pondering a future in which cooperation and global trade may look much different than they do now.

bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-10-08/this-was-the-week-the-world-got-really-anxious-about-globalization-s-future

Brexit Britain will be a perfect model for the protectionist, isolationist, nationalist, anti-globalization crowd.

The downturn in our economic fortunes in the coming years will be colossal.

If my living standards have to decline to prove a point and save the wider world from this economically illiterate madness, then it is a sacrifice I will reluctantly accept as being for the greater good.

Something tells me that the working class men who voted for Brexit in the Shires of England, thinking that they could have their cake and eat it by both controlling immigration and improving their livelihoods, will not be quite so forgiving when the shocks to the economy come think and thin along with the rising toll of unemployment.

But they said they had had enough of “experts” so I suppose that’s just what you get when you vote in a rage of emotion rather than with your head.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.