This week’s Gospel as in the Codex Fuldensis Gospel

Week 34: Christ the King
Using data publicly available from:
catholic-ew.org.uk/liturgy/Calendar/2006/Nov06.html
and The Sunday Missal to cross-check
This Week’s Gospel: John 18: 33 - 37 in Vulgate reckoning
(26th-Novemberber-2006) Thirty Fourth Sunday of Ordinary Time, Year B

** It is you who say that I am a king.**
The fourth to the tenth paragraph of the capitum referenced below, (only those quoted).

** CLXVII. Ubi Pilatus audit inter Iudæos et dominum et mittit eum ad Herodem.**

Pilate therefore went into the hall again and called Jesus and said to him: Art thou the king of the Judeans?
Jesus answered: Sayest thou this thing of thyself, or have others told it thee of me?
Pilate answered: Am I a Judean? Thine own nation and the chief priests have delivered thee up to me. What hast thou done?
Jesus answered: My kingdom is not of this world. If my kingdom were of this world, my servants would certainly strive that I should not be delivered to the Judeans: but now my kingdom is not from hence.
Pilate therefore said to him: Art thou a king then? Jesus answered: Thou sayest that I am a king.
For this was I born, and for this came I into the world; that I should give testimony to the truth.
Every one that is of the truth heareth my voice. Pilate saith to him: What is truth?

Though this reading represents only a part of the capitum in the Codex Fuldensis, in the Codex Sangallensis, of which this is the actual translation, the text is divided so that thye reading given corresponds to the major paragraph shown above.

First Sunday of Advent
catholic-ew.org.uk/liturgy/Calendar/2006/Dec06.html
This Week’s Gospel: Mark 13:33-37 in Vulgate reckoning
(3rd-December-2006) First Sunday of Advent, Year B

** Stay awake, because you do not know when the master of the house is coming.**
The fifth to the seventh paragraph of the capitum referenced below, - actually on page 258 - (only those paragraphs quoted).

** CXLVII. Ubi Ihesus diem iudicii adversus tempora Noe et Loth adsimulavit et de fidele et prudente dispensatore.**
(Where Jesus compared the day of judgement with the times of Noe and Lot, and of the faithful and wise servant.)

They answering, say to him: Where, Lord? He said to them: Wheresoever the body shall be, thither will the eagles also be gathered together.
Even as a man who, going into a far country, left his house and gave authority to his servants over every work and commanded the porter to watch.
Watch ye therefore, for you know not when the lord of the house cometh, at even, or at midnight, or at the cock crowing, or in the morning, lest coming on a sudden, he find you sleeping.

This small extract from the capitum is mainly as presented by Mark. Mark’s introduction though is missing, and a linking section is taken from Luke. The capitum is concerned with the ‘second coming’, or ‘Judgement Day’.

This week’s Gospel as in the Codex Fuldensis Gospel: Second Sunday of Advent
This Week’s Gospel: Mark 1:1 - 8 in Vulgate reckoning
(10th-December-2006) Second Sunday of Advent, Year B
Part one:
** Make his paths straight.**
Using the reference system as given in Sievers, the corrwspondance between the Gospel reading found in Mark, and phrases in the CF Gospel are as follows:

1/ Title of Diatessaron.
2,3/ 13: 3
4/ 13: 2
5/ 13: 12
6/ 13: 11
7,8/ 13: 23

However, the complete capitum referenced corresponds well with the reading, amplifying it considerably so the complete capitum will be shown.

** XIII. Ubi Iohannes Baptista apparuit in Israhel.**
(Where John the Baptist appeared in Israel.)

In the fifteenth year of the reign of Tiberius Cæsar, Pontius Pilate being governor of Judea, and Herod being tetrarch of Galilee, and Philip his brother tetrarch of Iturea and the country of Trachonitis, and Lysanias tetrarch of Abilina: Under the high priests Anna and Caiphas: the word of the Lord was made unto John, the son of Zachary, in the desert.
And he came into all the country about the Jordan, preaching the baptism of penance for the remission of sins. Saying: Do penance: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.
For this is he that was spoken of by Isaias the prophet, saying:
A voice of one crying in the desert,
Prepare ye the way of the Lord,
make straight his paths.
Every valley shall be filled
and every mountain
and hill shall be brought low:
and the crooked
shall be made straight,
and the rough ways plain.
And all flesh shall see
the salvation of God.
This man came for a witness, to give testimony of the light, that all men might believe through him. He was not the light, but was to give testimony of the light. That was the true light, which enlighteneth every man that cometh into this world.
He was in the world: and the world was made by him: and the world knew him not. He came unto his own: and his own received him not.
But as many as received him, he gave them power to be made the sons of God, to them that believe in his name. Who, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God, are born.
And the Word was made flesh and dwelt among us (and we saw his glory, the glory as it were of the true Son of the Father), full of grace and truth.

End of part one: part two follows…

This week’s Gospel as in the Codex Fuldensis Gospel: Second Sunday of Advent
This Week’s Gospel: Mark 1:1 - 8 in Vulgate reckoning
(10th-December-2006) Second Sunday of Advent, Year B
Part Two:

John beareth witness of him and crieth out, saying: This was he of whom I spoke: He that shall come after me is preferred before me: because he was before me.
And of his fulness we all have received: and grace for grace. For the law was given by Moses: grace and truth came by Jesus Christ.
No man hath seen God at any time: the true Son who is in the Bosom of the Father, he hath declared him.
And the same John had his garment of camels’ hair, and a leathern girdle about his loins: and his meat was locusts and wild honey.
Then went out to him Jerusalem and all Judea, and all the country about Jordan: and were baptised by him in the Jordan, confessing their sins.
And seeing many of the Pharisees and Sadducees coming to his baptism, he said to them: Ye brood of vipers, who hath shewed you to flee from the wrath to come?
Bring forth therefore fruit worthy of penance. And think not to say within yourselves, We have Abraham for our father. For I tell you that God is able of these stones to raise up children to Abraham.
For now the axe is laid to the root of the trees. Every tree therefore that doth not yield good fruit, shall be cut down, and cast into the fire.
And the people asked him, saying: What then shall we do? And he answering, said to them: He that hath two coats, let him give to him that hath none; and he that hath meat, let him do in like manner.
And the publicans also came to be baptised and said to him: Master, what shall we do? Thereupon he said to them: Do nothing more than which is appointed you.
And the soldiers also asked him, saying: And what shall we do? And he said to them: Do violence to no man, neither calumniate any man; and be content with your pay.
And as the people were of opinion, and all were thinking in their hearts of John, that perhaps he might be the Christ: the Judeans sent from Jerusalem priests and Levites to him, to ask him: Who art thou? And he confessed and did not deny: and he confessed: I am not the Christ.
And they asked him:
What then? Art thou Elias?
And he said: I am not.
Art thou the prophet?
And he answered: No.
They said therefore unto him: Who art thou, that we may give an answer to them that sent us? What sayest thou of thyself? He said: I am the voice of one crying in the wilderness, make straight the way of the Lord, as said the prophet Isaias. And they that were sent were of the Pharisees.
And they asked him and said to him: Why then dost thou baptise, if thou be not Christ, nor Elias, nor the prophet?
John answered them, saying: I indeed baptise you in water unto penance, but he that shall come after me, is mightier than me, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: one in the midst of you, whom you know not, he shall baptise you in the Holy Ghost and fire.
Whose fan is in his hand, and he will thoroughly cleanse his floor and gather his wheat into the barn; but the chaff he will burn with unquenchable fire.
And many other things exhorting did he preach to the people. These things were done in Bethania, beyond the Jordan, where John was baptising.

This week’s Gospel as in the Codex Fuldensis Gospel: Third Sunday of Advent
This Week’s Gospel: John 1: 6 - 8 and 19 - 28 in Vulgate reckoning
(17th-December-2006) Third Sunday of Advent, Year B

** There stands among you, unknown to you, the one who is coming after me…**
This reading is, in the CF Gospel, essentially the same as last week, so as last week, the whole capitum will be referenced. However, for the purpose of the direct representation, relevant excerpts will be shown in the quote.

** XIII. Ubi Iohannes Baptista apparuit in Israhel.**
(Where John the Baptist appeared in Israel.)
Sievers reckoning: 13: 1 - 4
In the fifteenth year of the reign of Tiberius Cæsar, Pontius Pilate being governor of Judea, and Herod being tetrarch of Galilee, and Philip his brother tetrarch of Iturea and the country of Trachonitis, and Lysanias tetrarch of Abilina: Under the high priests Anna and Caiphas: the word of the Lord was made unto John, the son of Zachary, in the desert.
And he came into all the country about the Jordan, preaching the baptism of penance for the remission of sins. Saying: Do penance: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.
For this is he that was spoken of by Isaias the prophet, saying:
A voice of one crying in the desert,
Prepare ye the way of the Lord,
make straight his paths.
Every valley shall be filled
and every mountain
and hill shall be brought low:
and the crooked
shall be made straight,
and the rough ways plain.
And all flesh shall see
the salvation of God.
This man came for a witness, to give testimony of the light, that all men might believe through him. He was not the light, but was to give testimony of the light. That was the true light, which enlighteneth every man that cometh into this world.

Sievers reckoning: 13: 19 - 25
And as the people were of opinion, and all were thinking in their hearts of John, that perhaps he might be the Christ: the Judeans sent from Jerusalem priests and Levites to him, to ask him: Who art thou? And he confessed and did not deny: and he confessed: I am not the Christ.
And they asked him:
What then? Art thou Elias?
And he said: I am not.
Art thou the prophet?
And he answered: No.
They said therefore unto him: Who art thou, that we may give an answer to them that sent us? What sayest thou of thyself? He said: I am the voice of one crying in the wilderness, make straight the way of the Lord, as said the prophet Isaias. And they that were sent were of the Pharisees.
And they asked him and said to him: Why then dost thou baptise, if thou be not Christ, nor Elias, nor the prophet?
John answered them, saying: I indeed baptise you in water unto penance, but he that shall come after me, is mightier than me, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: one in the midst of you, whom you know not, he shall baptise you in the Holy Ghost and fire.
Whose fan is in his hand, and he will thoroughly cleanse his floor and gather his wheat into the barn; but the chaff he will burn with unquenchable fire.
And many other things exhorting did he preach to the people. These things were done in Bethania, beyond the Jordan, where John was baptising.

This week’s Gospel as in the Codex Fuldensis Gospel: Fourth Sunday of Advent
This Week’s Gospel: Luke 1: 26 - 38 in Vulgate reckoning
(24th-December-2006) Fourth Sunday of Advent, Year B

** Listen! You are to conceive and bear a son.**
The reading correponds with the first half of the capitum. In the Codex Sangallensis however, it complies with a major paragraph, denoted in Sievers’ numbering system as 3: 1 - 9

** III. Ubi angelus Gabrihel ad Mariam loquitur.**
(Where the Angel Gabriel speaks to Mary.)

And in the sixth month, the angel Gabriel was sent from God into a city of Galilee, called Nazareth, To a virgin espoused to a man whose name was Joseph, of the house of David: and the virgin’s name was Mary.
And the angel being come in, said unto her: Hail, full of grace, the Lord is with thee: blessed art thou among women.
Mary, having heard, was troubled at his saying and thought with herself what manner of salutation this should be.
And the angel said to her: Fear not, Mary, for thou hast found grace with God. **Behold thou shalt conceive in thy womb and shalt bring forth a son: **and thou shalt call his name Jesus.
He shall be great and shall be called the Son of the Most High. And the Lord God shall give unto him the throne of David his father: and he shall reign in the house of Jacob for ever. And of his kingdom there shall be no end.
And Mary said to the angel: How shall this be done, because I know not man?
And the angel answering, said to her: The Holy Ghost shall come upon thee and the power of the Most High shall overshadow thee. And therefore also the Holy which shall be born of thee shall be called the Son of God.
And behold thy cousin Elizabeth, she also hath conceived a son in her old age: and this is the sixth month with her that is called barren. Because no word shall be impossible with God.
And Mary said: Behold the handmaid of the Lord: be it done to me according to thy word. And the angel departed from her.

The Gospel for Midnight Mass as in the Codex Fuldensis Gospel: Midnight Mass for Christmas Day
The gospel for Midnight Mass: Luke 2: 1 - 14 in Vulgate reckoning
(25th-December-2006) Midnight on the eve of Christmas Day

** Today a saviour has been born to us.**
The reading correponds with the last three paragraphs of the first capitum, and the first three paragraphs of the second referenced. Using Sievers’ numbering system, these are referenced as 5: 11 - 13 and 6: 1 - 3
** V. De generatione vel nativitate Christi.**
(Of the generation and birth of Christ.)
** VI. Ubi angelus apparuit pastoribus.**
(Where the Angel appeared to the shepherds)
Here is the text, as in the simplified translation:

And it came to pass that in those days there went out a decree from Cæsar Augustus that the whole world should be enrolled. This enrolling was first made by Cyrinus, the governor of Syria. And all went to be enrolled, every one into his own city.
And Joseph also went up from Galilee, out of the city of Nazareth, into Judea, to the city of David, which is called Bethlehem: because he was of the house and family of David. To be enrolled with Mary his espoused wife, who was with child.
And it came to pass that when they were there, her days were accomplished that she should be delivered. And she brought forth her first born son and wrapped him up in swaddling clothes and laid him in a manger: because there was no room for them in the inn.

And there were in the same country shepherds watching and keeping the night watches over their flock. And behold an angel of the Lord stood by them and the brightness of God shone round about them: and they feared with a great fear.
And the angel said to them: Fear not; for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy that shall be to all the people: For, **this day is born to you a Saviour, **who is Christ the Lord, in the city of David. And this shall be a sign unto you. You shall find the infant wrapped in swaddling clothes and laid in a manger.
And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly army, praising God and saying: Glory to God in the highest: and on earth peace to men of good will.

This week’s Gospel as in the Codex Fuldensis Gospel: The Holy Family
This Week’s Gospel: Luke 2: 41 - 52 in Vulgate reckoning
(31st-December-2006) The Holy Family, Year C

** Jesus is found by his parents sitting among the doctors.**
The reading correponds with the virtually the complete capitum, missing only the first verse, which, in any case, is echoed by the last. Hence, the complete catitum will be given.

** XII. Ubi Ihesus remansit in templo Herosolymis.**
(Where Jesus stayed behind in the temple in Jerusalem.)

And the child grew and waxed strong, full of wisdom: and the grace of God was in him. And his parents went every year to Jerusalem, at the solemn day of the pasch.
And when he was twelve years old, they going up into Jerusalem, according to the custom of the feast, And having fulfilled the days, when they returned, the child Jesus remained in Jerusalem. And his parents knew it not.
And thinking that he was in the company, they came a day’s journey and sought him among their kinsfolk and acquaintance. And not finding him, they returned into Jerusalem, seeking him.
And it came to pass, that, after three days, **they found him in the temple, sitting in the midst of the doctors, **hearing them and asking them questions.
And all that heard him were astonished at his wisdom and his answers. And seeing him, they wondered.
And his mother said to him: Son, why hast thou done so to us? Behold thy father and I have sought thee sorrowing.
And he said to them: How is it that you sought me? Did you not know that I must be about my father’s business?
And they understood not the word that he spoke unto them. And he went down with them and came to Nazareth and was subject to them.
And his mother kept all these words in her heart. And Jesus advanced in wisdom and age and grace with God and men.

This week’s Gospel as in the Codex Fuldensis Gospel: The Epiphany of the Lord
catholic-ew.org.uk/liturgy/Calendar/2007/Dec06.html
This Week’s Gospel: Matt 2: 1 - 12 in Vulgate reckoning
(7th-January-2007) The Epiphany of the Lord, Year C

** We saw his star and have come to do the king homage.**
The reading correponds with the complete capitum.

** VIII. De magis qui venerunt ab oriente.**
(Of the wise men who came from the East.)

When Jesus therefore was born in Bethlehem of Juda, in the days of king Herod, behold, there came wise men from the East to Jerusalem, Saying: Where is he that is born king of the Judeans? For we have seen his star in the East, and are come to worship him.
And king Herod hearing this, was troubled, and all Jerusalem with him. And assembling together all the chief priests and the scribes of the people, he inquired of them where Christ should be born.
Whereupon they said to him: In Bethlehem of Juda. For so it is written by the prophet: And thou Bethlehem the land of Juda art not the least among the princes of Juda: for out of thee shall come forth the judge that shall rule my people Israel.
Then Herod, privately calling the wise men learned diligently of them the time of the star which appeared to them; And sending them into Bethlehem, said: Go and diligently inquire after the child. When you have found him, bring me word again, that I also may come and worship him.
They having heard the king, went their way; and behold the star which they had seen in the East, went before them, until it came and stood over where the child was.
And seeing the star they rejoiced with exceeding great joy. And entering into the house, they found the child with Mary his mother, and falling down they worshiped him:
and opening their treasures, they offered him gifts; gold, frankincense, and myrrh.
And having received an answer in sleep that they should not return to Herod, they went back another way into their country.

Those among you who have been following this illustration might have noticed that for the weeks of Advent, I erroneously illustrated the readings for year ‘B’, whereas I should have illustrated year ‘C’. If you like, I will give the correct illustrations, otherwise, you may have to wait a while, or work it out for yourselves.

I would have thought it clear by now that nobody is interested in your forgotten gospel.
These are discussion forums.
This is not the place for a monologue. It would be better if you set up your own blogsite for that!

Oooh, that was prickly.
Never mind, thankyou for your reply.
Nevertheless, a die-hard group of openminded people still seem to be viewing the presentation. If these viewers want not to view, then they need not. Should that happen, then I will cease to waste my time and theirs.
You though should have noticed how little the illustration varies from the ‘standard’ text.

This week’s Gospel as in the Codex Fuldensis Gospel: The Second Sunday of Ordinary Time
catholic-ew.org.uk/liturgy/Calendar/2007/Jan07.html
This Week’s Gospel: John 2: 1 - 11 in Vulgate reckoning
(14th-January-2007) 2nd Sunday of Ordinary Time, Year C

** This was the first of the signs given by Jesus: it was at Cana in Galilee.**
The reading correponds with the complete capitum, though the capitum omits the last few words which are used later on.

** XLV. Ubi Ihesus in Chanan Galileæ de aqua vinum fecit.**
(Where Jesus in Canan of Galilee make wine from water.)

And the third day, there was a marriage in Cana of Galilee: and the mother of Jesus was there. And Jesus also was invited, and his disciples, to the marriage.
And the wine running short, the mother of Jesus saith to him: They have no wine. And Jesus saith to her: Woman, what is that to thee and to me? My hour is not yet come.
His mother saith to the waiters: Whatsoever he shall say to you, do ye.
Now there were set there six waterpots of stone, according to the manner of the purifying of the Judeans, containing two or three measures apiece.
Jesus saith to them: Fill the waterpots with water. And they filled them up to the brim.
And Jesus saith to them: Draw out now and carry to the chief steward of the feast. And they carried it.
And when the chief steward had tasted the water made wine and knew not whence it was, but the waiters knew who had drawn the water: the chief steward calleth the bridegroom, and saith to him: Every man at first setteth forth good wine, and when men have well drunk, then that which is worse. But thou hast kept the good wine until now.
This beginning of miracles did Jesus in Cana of Galilee and manifested his glory.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.