This Years Maverick [Sen. Lindsey Graham]

Lindsey Graham was sitting in a sedan early one morning and contentedly discussing the various fellow South Carolina conservatives who dislike him — Tea Partiers, Constitutionalists, immigration hardliners — when Van Cato, his upstate regional director, lifted a hand from the steering wheel and said: “That’s the leader of them right there. There’s his sign. He’s running for Greenville County Council.”
On four occasions, Graham met with Tea Party groups. The first, in his Senate office, was "very, very contentious," he recalled. During a later meeting, in Charleston, Graham said he challenged them: " 'What do you want to do? You take back your country -- and do what with it?' . . . Everybody went from being kind of hostile to just dead silent."

In a previous conversation, Graham told me: "The problem with the Tea Party, I think it's just unsustainable because they can never come up with a coherent vision for governing the country. It will die out." Now he said, in a tone of casual lament: "We don't have a lot of Reagan-type leaders in our party. Remember Ronald Reagan Democrats? I want a Republican that can attract Democrats." Chortling, he added, "Ronald Reagan would have a hard time getting elected as a Republican today."

Senators Coburn and Sessions are alluding to a filibuster.

Senator Lindsey Graham wants to reach across the aisle; after all Obama won the election ... but there is every indication that Kagan will not follow the original intent of the Constitution.

The radicals regard politics as a take no prisoners exercise.

Let the American people learn who she really is and what she really stands for.

Time to take off the gloves.

It won't hurt anything to delay until after the November elections. Not that far away.

Remember that decision the other day on the 2nd Amendment ... 5-4.

This stuff has got to stop.

Write to your Senators, Democrat AND Republican. No confirmation. Filibuster. Time to fight.

Graham just wants to go along to get along. To him, reaching across the aisle to quote John McCain is the way you get respect from the other party.

They may want to eat your liver, but he is willing to go along with them to appear conciliatory in the great debating organization, the U.S. Senate.

Graham might have a point regarding the Tea Party. I can't see it as a permanent organization (to the extent it's an organization at all) or movement. It's more a reaction against the more outrageous overreachings of the current government.

But Graham has, now and then, caused me to think of him as a bubblehead, and nothing he has done recently has truly persuaded me that he isn't one. For one thing, "reaching across the aisle" to the far left (sure, there might be some things upon which conservatives and some few Democrats might agree) is just a way to get one's arm bitten off; a lesson George Bush should have learned very early on, but didn't.

**We are called by Jesus to love & respect everyone, despite their failings.

We are not called to accept the false beliefs & policies supported by those who would allow the murder of innocent babies by abortion!

It is precisely because of well meaning, but weak men like Mr. McCain & Mr. Graham, that we have the most anti- life administration in the history of this once great nation.

Jesus was not afraid to call out those who are evil!

"Why do you not understand what I say? It is because you cannot bear to hear my word. You are of your father the devil, and your will is to do your father's desires. He was a murderer from the beginning, and has nothing to do with the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks according to his own nature, for he is a liar and the father of lies. But, because I tell the truth, you do not believe me." (Jn 8:43-45) **

Sancta Maria, Mater Dei, Ora Pro Nobis Peccatoribus!

mark

[quote="Ridgerunner, post:3, topic:203978"]
Graham might have a point regarding the Tea Party. I can't see it as a permanent organization (to the extent it's an organization at all) or movement. It's more a reaction against the more outrageous overreachings of the current government.

But Graham has, now and then, caused me to think of him as a bubblehead, and nothing he has done recently has truly persuaded me that he isn't one. For one thing, "reaching across the aisle" to the far left (sure, there might be some things upon which conservatives and some few Democrats might agree) is just a way to get one's arm bitten off; a lesson George Bush should have learned very early on, but didn't.

[/quote]

Maybe the Tea Party people were too polite to say to Senator Graham ONE key word: Constitution.

I think that Senator Graham just doesn't get it: The Constitution.

[two words]

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.