Thomas a Kempis

Do we know why Thomas a Kempis is not cannonized? It seems to me such a spiritual work like The Imitation of Christ would really work in his favor.Do any of you know any of his history? :shrug:

Heroic acts of charity are required for beatification, that’s why. :slight_smile:

There is a story that when his coffin was opened scratch marks from fingers were found inside. It seems he had been accidentally buried alive and desperately tried to get out of the coffin by scratching at it meaning he did not accept his death (i.e. his faith was weak). I don’t know how accurate such a story is.

I think there are also disputes over who actually wrote The Imitation of Christ.

thistle

There is a story that when his coffin was opened scratch marks from fingers were found inside. It seems he had been accidentally buried alive and desperately tried to get out of the coffin by scratching at it meaning he did not accept his death (i.e. his faith was weak). I don’t know how accurate such a story is.

This is the story that I know of. They feared that he may have committed the sin of despair, and chose not to canonize him.

I think there are also disputes over who actually wrote The Imitation of Christ.

I have never heard that there are doubts about Thomas Kempis being the author of “The Imitation of Christ.” But there are the doubters in every corner of life.

Jim

Many scholars still believe ‘Thomas a Kempis’ is a fake name adopted by several writers of The Imitation. I suppose that would make canonization highly controversial. I would be skeptical of it myself.

Actually, the authorship although questioned in earlier times, no longer is doubted.

newadvent.org/cathen/14661a.htm

Jim

There’s not anything wrong with desperately clawing at the inside of your coffin. You’re trying to preserve a human life. God’s a pretty cool Guy, and I don’t think He’d mind a fight to survive.

And I thought going through Marine Corps Boot Camp was tough. Doesn’t compare to being canonized. :smiley:

Jim

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.