Thomas Cahill

What do you think of Thomas Cahill? Is he good Catholic reading?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Cahill

I’ve only read How the Irish Saved Civilization by Cahill. It read like a wild, empassioned love letter to the Irish people. I’ve gifted it to a few people since.

I have read all of the books in Cahill’s The Hinges of History series to date, and I find that they are great works of history. He and his team really research the subjects well, from the Irish contribution to history, to the Jews, the coming of Jesus and the early Christians, the Greeks, the Middle Ages, and the Renaissance and Reformation. His goal is to show the contributions of various individuals and groups on the shaping of the Western civilization that we have today.

Furthermore, as Catholic historian, Cahill provides a nice look at the Church’s history that it not biased against it in any way. My only qualm with him is that he very heavily dislikes the Church’s hierarchy and leadership. Don’t get me wrong - he says many times in his books and essays that he truly believes in Catholicism and the teachings of Jesus, but he just really has a problem with the hierarchy. In one of his essays (which can be found on his website) even thinks Pope Saint John Paul II was a terrible Pope, which I find absolutely astonishing and which I really don’t like to hear coming from him. In addition, in the book regarding Jesus, Desire of the Everlasting Hills, he likes to point out that the “sexual policing” of the Church doesn’t originate in Jesus, etc. etc…

Nevertheless, his history is extremely good and the connections he makes are quite intriguing. Moreover, like Is aid before, he gives the Church a fair deal, noting that the Inquisition was not like history likes to portray it and putting to rest such fantasies as Jesus being married. He also goes on to say in his Middle Ages book that sciences, art, and feminism all came from “the cults of Catholic Europe.”

In short, I love Cahill’s history, and all of his books are concise and easy to read. So, while I don’t agree with all of his personal views, I definitely recommend his books!

This is a link to his biography from his website: thomascahill.com/bios/thomas-cahill-2

May God bless you all! :slight_smile:

Highly Recommended reading!
Start with “How The Irish Saved Civilization” and you will be hooked.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.