Thomas H. Groome's book "What Makes Us Catholic"?

I found this book at Half Price Books. I have it on hold so I can get feedback on if any of you have read it. I’m trying to be very careful on what I read so I’m coming to you and asking yall for help. You know, if I should or shouldn’t read it. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you! God Bless you.
Georgia or Gigglin.

I have not read it, but having seen some of his DVDs for catechists, I’m not a fan.

In one DVD, he praised feminist theologians for their new insights into Mary (he didn’t elaborate), and he never used male pronouns for God.

“God loves God’s people.”
“God takes care of God’s people.”

Awkward…

renewamerica.com/columns/keane/100512

Thomas H. Groome is touted in many catechetical circles. Like the above posts, I find that he does not always reflect what the Church teaches accurately. I am hoping that this loosy-goosy catechesis is on it’s way out. I am a firm believer in the wisdom of the Church. I am very much aware of that old mill stone and don’t want to stuck with it around my neck. If you are secure in your faith, read a bit of Groome’s book and you will see what I mean.

i also found the book at a thrift store and snatched it up when i first started RCIA…after reading a few chapters i stopped because something didn’t seem right…

i may have thrown the baby out with the bathwater but being new to Catholicism i didn’t want to read the wrong stuff (and something didn’t sit well)

Franciscan University is doing excellent work in the area of catechetics. The antidote to Thomas Groome. :thumbsup:

In fact, they are hoping to launch a distance education MA in Catechetics and Evangelization in the fall of 2014.

At the risk of overstating things, Thomas Groome is responsible for the poor catechesis of nearly two generations of American Catholics over the past forty+ years.

Okay, maybe I’m being a bit hyperbolic. :stuck_out_tongue:

When he was in seminary right around the time of the Council, one of his assignments was to teach a high school theology class. Being the clueless, yet dutiful seminarian he was, he thought it would be great to take his lecture notes from the great classes he was taking in seminary and use those as his guide for teaching his students. Needless to say, he bored the kids to tears. Then one day he had an “epiphany” and put his notes away and asked the kids what they wanted to talk about. And Shared Christian Praxis was born. This is Groome’s catechetical methodology that says we don’t teach our students but merely all share together our spiritual experiences.

He’s a charming guy with a disarming Irish accent. I’ve heard him speak. It’s one of those cases where it’s not nearly so much what he says but what he does not say. References to things like the Church, Scripture, the Sacraments, and so forth are minimal.

I haven’t read this particular book of his but have his seminal “Christian Religious Education.” His books are good to read if you want to understand how we got into the catechetical mess we are in. But it’s not something I’d recommend reading for good ideas.

Thank you all so very much. I’m glad that I can come on here and get advice before spending money on a book that goes against everything that I was brought up with knowing. I just want to guard and protect myself against things that would harm me in the long run. Yall are the bomb! Thank you again for answering especially so suddenly.
God Bless & Mary Keep you.
Gigglin or Georgia

Thank you for this link. I’m glad you have posted it kee&ps me out of trouble. God bless you & May Keep you.

Georgia or Gigglin.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.