Thomas kinkade.. dies

guardian.co.uk/artanddesign/2012/apr/07/artist-thomas-kinkade-dies-54

Praying for the repose of his soul …

:gopray:

Eternal rest grant unto him, O Lord, and let perpetual light shine upon him. May he rest in peace. Amen.

:signofcross:

Absolve, we beseech Thee, O Lord,
the soul of Thy servant, from every bond of sin,
that being raised in the glory of the resurrection,
he may be refreshed among the Saints and Elect.
Through Christ our Lord. Amen.

Eternal rest grant unto him, O Lord. And let perpetual light shine upon him. May his soul and the souls of all the faithful departed, through the mercy of God, rest in peace. Amen.

By the way, here is another thread on the topic. Perhaps the two can be combined.

Thomas Kinkade, one of nation’s most popular painters, dies suddenly in Los Gatos at 54
forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=662979

May he rest in peace.

I found this statement from the US paper a bit odd…

“His family was traveling to Australia on Friday and unavailable for further comment. Further details were expected in the coming days.”

I have a hard time understanding traveling internationally when your husband and the father of your children has just died. :confused:

He wasn’t divorced was he?

Come to think about it - this is rather an odd statement from his wife.

“Thom provided a wonderful life for his family,” his wife, Nanette, said in a statement. “We are shocked and saddened by his death.”

That is not what I would say about my husband…one wonders if the focus of his life was his art and not his family…

It is odd that his family would be traveling to Australia on Friday after his death. I don’t know about Kinkade’s marital status, but he (and his wife too, though author is listed as Thomas Kinkade) did publish a book on marriage in 2003.

The Many Loves of Marriage [Paperback] by Thomas Kinkade
amazon.com/Many-Loves-Marriage-Thomas-Kinkade/dp/1590521498/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1333816757&sr=1-1

Rest in Peace Neighbor :gopray2:

I love his artwork, Painter of Light.

He and his wife filed for legal separation in 2010. There was no further proceedings so they had not yet divorced.

On just 4/6 the court filed her request to travel with the minor children and it was granted. I suspect they just had left when he died and they were probably enroute when advised of his death. Despite the circumstances, it had to be hard to be traveling with minor children and have to tell them, with great expectations for the trip, that their father had just died.

Very sad that he died so young.

Although I have never had much respect for his work, I’ve commended his ability to have the business acumen and the right people to help create a very viable business from his work alone, especially in the arts where it is difficult to even make a living no matter how talented one is. He knew how to appeal to the mass public and that is a God-given talent in it of itself.

One of the articles says he was a devout Christian. God rest his soul.

I only say this to set the record straight, not to tarnish his memory…

You comment on his good business acumen. You should know that a great many of his gallery owners felt very betrayed by him, enough to go to court over his tactics. I know some of the parties involved, it was a very sad ordeal, because most of them were Christians, and he sold them on the idea that his business network was run with Christian values, that joining it would be like joining a family. They then signed confusing/misleading deals with harsh exclusivity clauses (they couldn’t show other artwork in their galleries), and they were repaid by being undercut by him through direct sales. Their deals prohibited them from lowering their own prices to even compete, resulting in the business and personal ruin to many.

I know he later issued an apology, but the affair greatly tainted his brand’s image, and the settlement lead to bankruptcy of one of his own businesses.

Ah. That explains quite a lot, actually. Thank you.

May he rest in peace.

There’s no arguing with personal taste, but I always considered him the king of kitsch. :shrug:

Actually, thank you for sharing that. I remember the galleries. It was where I first found out about his work. As another on the thread mentioned, I also thought his work was a bit kitsch and cheesy. He obviously had talent, but the depth of it was too shallow for me, personally. My husband, friends and I were amazed at how popular he was because it just seemed like the extremely high prices being asked for this kind of work was a joke (at least to young 20-somethings like ourselves at the time who was really into art and the arts in general). It seemed like it was pulling the wool over people’s eyes, like he was a fraud. I didn’t know at the the that he was considered himself a devout Christian. Again this was our view back then. I don’t really think of it that way now, because people do have a choice to spend their money any way they want and I know there are people who really liked his work. He, like other popular people in the arts, was very good at appealing to the mass public and I really couldn’t fault him for that. He knew what would appeal to many. So, who was I to judge those who really enjoyed his work? Who was I to judge a guy who obviously knew how to make it work for him so that he didn’t have to work a job that he loathed or resented, which happens to a lot of people trying to forge a career in the arts?

When all the galleries closed around me, I didn’t know why, so I’m glad you shared that bit of info.

He had a gift for making pleasant nature scenes and happy little art pieces with snow covered houses and things like that. Whether or not it is high art in the sense of it having a lot of symbolism isn’t really that big of a deal to me. They were pleasant and peaceful scenes and our world needs more pleasant and peaceful in it.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.