Those of you who've read the Book of Concord

I am in the midst of reading (listening) to the Book of Concord. It's really helping me understand the Reformation and Lutheranism. I keep wondering if the Catholic Church ever changed their doctrine that was disputed especially those discussed in the Augsburg Confession and the Defense (Apology) of the Augsburg Confession.

Thanks!

[quote="skigirl1689, post:1, topic:307975"]
I am in the midst of reading (listening) to the Book of Concord. It's really helping me understand the Reformation and Lutheranism. I keep wondering if the Catholic Church ever changed their doctrine that was disputed especially those discussed in the Augsburg Confession and the Defense (Apology) of the Augsburg Confession.

Thanks!

[/quote]

Cardinal Ratzinger is said to have once mused over the possibility of Augsburg beinga Catholic confession. My sense is that while there have been movements toward convergence, the idea of the CC "changing doctrine" is not likely. More likely is a continuing growth in understanding between us.

Jon

They have the book of Concord in audio format? Because I have been just reading it and it's hard to stay awake sometimes :D

[quote="skigirl1689, post:1, topic:307975"]

Thanks!

[/quote]

Hopefully this book will also further your understanding............catholiceducation.org/articles/apologetics/ap0097.html

amazon.com/Spirit-Forms-Protestantism-Louis-Bouyer/dp/1889334316

An immensely important contribution to true interfaith discussion, this book is a generous and illuminating introduction to the genuine strengths of the Protestant movement — and a frank, charitable examination of its weaknesses. Louis Bouyer shows the value of the Protestant ideas of the sovereignty of God, justification by faith, and even the centrality of Scripture. He also looks squarely at how Protestantism has suffered from its denial of the sacraments, Church authority, and more. He challenges Catholics and Protestants alike to know their beliefs more deeply — an essential foundation to any dialogue.

Bouyer, beginning his spiritual service as a French Lutheran Cleric, knew Protestant thought from the inside out. He is careful to outline all the good Reform teaching contains and quick to point out how Church practice at the time of the Reformation had come to deemphasize much the Reformers championed. His issues are not with the orthodox doctrines but with the negative elements that mysteriously appear with them in Reform thought. Bouyer insist that these elements, not rooted in orthodox doctrine but in the poison of Occamist Nominalism, weaken and dilute the orthodox doctrines and prevent them from bearing fruit. They also create endless division and doctrinal chaos and confusion.

The book is divided into three large sections. In the first he outlines the positive principles of the Reformation, with numerous quotes from the writings of the Reformers. The second section, which is much shorter, Bouyer discusses the negative elements in Reform thought, shows their source in Occamist/Scotist Scholasticism and exposes the logical incompatibility of Occam's Nominalism with Christian realities as they are presented in both Church Doctrine and Sacred Scripture.

The final section is essentially his solution to the dilemma of doctrinal chaos in the Protestant world.

[quote="batman1973, post:3, topic:307975"]
They have the book of Concord in audio format? Because I have been just reading it and it's hard to stay awake sometimes :D

[/quote]

They do :). The link is: bookofconcord.org/audio.php. Here you can stream the audio but there are download options and it is all free on the public domain. And it is not a bad reading either!

Thanks for the other replies; I'll have to do some research.

What your church needs to have is what we have at our church is a group that discuss the Lutheran Confessions and is led by a pastor. Our’s is call a Tischreden ( Table Talk ) and meets every other week for 2 hours on Saturday morning. It is open to men and women and of course being Lutheran, coffee and donuts.

[quote="hn160, post:6, topic:307975"]
What your church needs to have is what we have at our church is a group that discuss the Lutheran Confessions and is led by a pastor. Our's is call a Tischreden ( Table Talk ) and meets every other week for 2 hours on Saturday morning. It is open to men and women and of course being Lutheran, coffee and donuts.

[/quote]

My parish is doing that. But, I work late, and it's hard just to make it to late service :D

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.