"Thou shalt have no other gods before me"

So do you believe in God as God is shown to be in the bible and taught by the church or have you made God to be in the image that you want to see? We know the laws of God - have you let any of these laws slide to your own kinder version. That would be breaking the first commandment and goes against what scripture tells us would it not?

We are in a time as the pope puts it similar to Noah’s time when the world no longer wants to follow God’s law and has outright rejected it replacing it with mans values because they cannot live up to God laws which is and will lead to a Godless world just like in Noah’s time. A time is coming when Christians will be attached for holding on to Gods law - its already starting to happen in the world - secularism is taking over - how much faith will Jesus find on his return? He asks that question himself in the Gospel the other day.

Are you willing to die to hold on to the faith? The bible tells us we will be killed for holding on to the faith in the future because the world will not want to live by it.

“Nevertheless, when the Son of man comes, will he find faith on earth?”
A good question by our Lord - what do you think?

These are always pretty scary Gospel readings at this time of the year when the church opens up the book of revelations in its readings.

It all starts with the breaking of the first commandment.

Hi, HU!
…sorry, but I missed your question…

Maran atha!

Angel

God has a plan.

If we complain, then are we violating the First Commandment?

We all are vulnerable to idolizing something. Usually our own ego, or our ideology, or politics.

IMO, far too many people today want the best of both worlds, they want to be able to call themselves faithful christians, be able to go to mass every week, but they also want an easy and comfortable secular existence.

Basically they will ‘be religious’ as long as it does not become too inconvenient or start causing conflicts in their secular lives, jobs, homes, obeying the laws, friends, families, etc.

The problem is, Jesus never said life on earth for christians was going to be easy or comfortable, actually he said its going to be the complete opposite, “they will hate you as they hated me”, “they will persecute, torture, imprison, kill, due to my name”

Ive always personally felt if you find your life to be fairly easy or comfortable in this secular world and you consider yourself to be a true christian, there is likely some compromise going on.

… you … your life … you … yourself … ]

Not sure what you mean?

I was certainly not excluding myself in my post though, Im guilty of the same thing, but I do recognize it and try to keep it to a minimum as much as possible.

Hi, Mike!
I fully concur!

…it is reminiscent of the religious Jews during Jesus’s times–He chastised them for their circumvention of God’s Law by excercising human traditions; traditions constructed for the single purpose of obfuscating God’s Command (as in rendering moneys to the Temple and through their offering reliving themselves of the obligations to honor their parents).

Maran atha!

Angel

Hi, Mike!
…I think that they meant that we take an ego trip–everything’s about “me!”

Maran atha!

Angel

Today the secular world takes its next attack on Christianity.

Indiana mayor draws criticism for renaming Good Friday - and Columbus day

Good Friday will now be known as “Spring Holiday” while Columbus Day will be changed to “Fall Holiday.”

The time will come when Christians will be persecuted in the future - slowly the secular world is trying to wipe out Christianity and replace it with mans morality without God.

Maybe its time to make sure your lamp is lit.

This day MAY be your only chance before that final day comes. (I do not know )

You know I never thought I would see the day in my life time when these things would be possible - but here they are in our own day and age - its just a matter of time - I think I will be gone from this world before it all comes out (I hope!) - but I can see it coming.

I think it may be appropriate to purge the secular, civil calendar of religious holidays since they are specific to each religion and not share by all. How do you feel about Ramadan or Sukkot on there. As long as they don’t try to prevent us from celebrating our own feast days in our own ways.

I think the whole of our spiritual journey could be described as moving from the God made in our image towards the true image of God. I don’t know if that’s breaking the commandments, it feels more like as we spiritually mature we gain new perspectives and change the way we think and act.

We are in a time as the pope puts it similar to Noah’s time when the world no longer wants to follow God’s law and has outright rejected it replacing it with mans values because they cannot live up to God laws which is and will lead to a Godless world just like in Noah’s time. A time is coming when Christians will be attached for holding on to Gods law - its already starting to happen in the world - secularism is taking over - how much faith will Jesus find on his return? He asks that question himself in the Gospel the other day.

The Church has almost always been persecuted and always will be. Jesus warns us about it.

Are you willing to die to hold on to the faith? The bible tells us we will be killed for holding on to the faith in the future because the world will not want to live by it.

I’d like to think so, but who can say for sure until we’re faced with it. I just pray for grace to hold firm in daily life, which is challenging enough soemtimes.

I work at a big American company who is here in Canada and they recognize Ramadan and Sukket but when it comes to Christmas - there is silence - it does not exist.

I have no problem with Ramadan or Sukket - it does not offend me in anyway - but at the same time Christians do not get the same respect.

I have spoken to Muslims - Hindus - Jewish - Sikhs whom I work with and not one of them is offended by Christmas. Who has anyone here met that is offended other than atheists. At least in our faiths we have a mutual respect for our holidays.

So thats what we should do? Put our light under a basket? As the bible put it.

Actually the Hindu I met told me something I did not know about his faith - they do not have hundreds of Gods - they believe in one God that takes on hundreds of forms - I found that interesting.

That is puzzling, Canada does not recognize Christmas but does recognize Ramadan?

I didn’t say that I said the big American company I work for does not recognize Christmas anymore.

I just want to say that in no way am I saying the end of the world is imminent - the truth is that no one knows but the Father. In each generation we all see the signs described. For me I see signs of it and wonder - not in fear but in faith.

The end of my world is coming very soon - it is imminent - but not yours. We all have our last day on this earth.

My feeling is this is not my world - it is not the same as the times I grew up in and became an adult - this generation is for the youth to decide which way it goes - my generation did not do a very good job and seem to have made things worse - I hope yours does better than mine.

If I have offended anyone I apologize.

But does recognize Ramadan?

Yes that is what I said

Last day before Christmas - the big guys came down and around shaking hands and refused to say Merry Christmas and refused to accept my Merry Christmas and I was told it can only be happy holiday season. Yet they recognize Muslim and Jewish holidays.

Yes, this is just a step forward in the timeline to christians being persecuted, Jesus told us it was going to happen, he said they will hate you as they hated me. It is being done very slowly and methodically to ensure majority of people ‘acclimate’ to this new reality.

Its not going to happen suddenly overnight, instead over a long period of time.

Hi!

…yeah, it’s been slowly creeping through our societies–people blame technology… Jesus placed the fault right in the heart of man:

19 For from the heart come forth evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false testimonies, blasphemies. (St. Matthew 15:19)

…early twentieth century Mexico experienced the state torturing and murdering its citizens (young and old alike) for the crime of publicly depicting a Crucifix, a Catholic icon or for exclaiming: “Viva Cristo, Rey!” …both the US government and the kkk were united with Mexico’s state in its efforts to raze the Church to the ground… sadly, Mexico has been plagued by the effects of its assaults on Christ… and the US’s leadership is too blind, power-hungry, and ignorant to acknowledge that they are following the same dead-end agenda.

Maran atha!

Angel

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.