Thou shalt not kill/murder

I have read that the Hebrew word for murder is very similar to kill and, through interpretation, had been written as ‘kill’.

I believe God is a loving God, and I also believe there is evil (Satan) in this world. Historically (biblically) there have been plenty of examples of evil humans being killed by God, either through human hands or of His own accord.

I am trying to come to grips with this as I have been personally affected by murder. Sadly, both as a family member of a victim as well as a perpetrator.

If it truly was ‘kill’ then it obviously has an impact with regard to capital punishment(CP) . However, if it is ‘murder’, which requires forethought, it could be argued that, though forethought is used in CP, CP is a tool in ridding society of evil and letting the person have their ultimate judgement with God.

This arguement dovetails with the discussion of whether or not those who murder, or break any other commandment, (don’t forget the deadly sins too!) are eligible for God’s forgiveness. I believe they must be truly sorry in their hearts, and only God knows a persons heart.

That being said, there are those in society who, for various reasons, will go to Hell lest they repent. Does society have a duty to kill those who have murdered, regardless of whether they have or have not repented?

In God always!

This is from the Catechism of the Church
**2267 **Assuming that the guilty party’s identity and responsibility have been fully determined, the traditional teaching of the Church does not exclude recourse to the death penalty, if this is the only possible way of effectively defending human lives against the unjust aggressor.
If, however, nonlethal means are sufficient to defend and protect people’s safety from the aggressor, authority will limit itself to such means, as these are more in keeping with the concrete conditions of the common good and are more in conformity to the dignity of the human person.
Today, in fact, as a consequence of the possibilities which the state has for effectively preventing crime, by rendering one who has committed an offense incapable of doing harm - without definitely taking away from him the possibility of redeeming himself - the cases in which the execution of the offender is an absolute necessity are very rare, if not practically nonexistent.

God Bless,
Matt

Capital punishment is frequently a result of a mob mentality. We as individuals would not be willing to pull the “trigger” but have no problem asking the government to do it. Those who demand the act are not accepting full responsibility for it. As a result the group does what the individuals in the group would not do on their own.

It is interesting how in our modern society we have continued to execute people while we have abolished other forms of punnishment which are more intense but less leathal.

Uh… I heard it exactly the other way around.
That “thou shalt not murder” is the more accurate translation.

But honestly, weren’t the Jews were given laws by God to put certain people to death? That really wouldn’t make sense if it was against a commandment of the Decalogue, would it? :confused:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.