Thoughts during Eucharist?

Just out of curiousity,

What do you think about/meditate on/pray during the concecration, when receiving communion and afterwards?

Paul said we are to examine ourselves before taking part. If we have issues with others , DO NOT TAKE COMMUNION THAT DAY. Go get it right with that person and continue on. During for me I look at the bread ( that is a remembrance of his broken body ) and just thank him for that sacrifice ! The juice/wine same thing…Awesome God !!!

A few months ago during adoration the following thoughts came to me. They might seem a little simplistic, but even though I’ve been a Catholic my whole life, I never really deeply thought about the Eucharist:

I was just completely baffled as to how the creator of the universe makes himself to be such a helpless object as a bit of bread. I just kept thinking, “Really? Why?”

I mean that’s it; That right there is GOD. And I know I believe, at least as much as a simple human creature can believe or comprehend the real presence, but really, he’s there, and the only purpose of bread is to be consumed, the only thing he wants is to be accepted by you and consumed by you so that you and he will be one.

He will be in you; in your veins and muscles and mind and heart. Really.

He can’t do it himself, though, he can only offer himself for you, and you have to do the rest, approach him and accept him.

“Soul of Christ, sanctify me. Body of Christ, save me. Blood of Christ, inebriate me. Water from the side of Christ, wash me. Passion of Christ, strengthen me. O Good Jesus, hear me. Within your wounds hide me. Permit me not to be separated from you. From the wicked foe, defend me. At the hour of my death, call me and bid me come to you That with your saints I may praise you For ever and ever. Amen”

“Thank You Jesus, I love You Jesus, forgive my sins, all my retched sin,
Thank You Jesus, I love You Jesus, I believe but help me with my unbelief,
Thank You Jesus, I love You Jesus, I must decrease, You must increase,
Thank You Jesus, I love You Jesus, make me a true man, a true man of prayer,
Thank You Jesus, I love You Jesus, I am nothing, You be my all.”

That is what I meditate upon.

I thank Jesus and I apologize to him for the meanness of people. I vision myself in my first communion dress and I hop in next to him on his walk to death and I hold his hand and tell him how much I love him and need him and that without him, I’m dead and lost. I say you won’t walk alone today. I am here with you today Jesus and I love you. Then as we pass the Blessed Mother on our way to the cross, I tell her It’s okay Mary, I am with your Son today. Thank you for being such a good to Mom and I am sorry everyone is so mean to your good Son. You tried your whole life to take good care of him and now it’s come down to this. I love you. Thank you.

Yes! Jesus truly is the Manna from Heaven! We have that wonderful “type” in the OT.

It is hard for me to wrap around my mind the awesomeness of God’s infinite love for us. And, the more we prepare by prayer, the more benefit we get from His grace.

Yes! The greatness of the Eucharist shows us how much the Lord loves us. He wants us not to be afraid at all, and to go up to receive Him with faith.

I prefer to think upon ‘nothing’ except that for a very short while I become, so to speak, His Tabernacle.
paduard

I prefer to think of ‘nothing’ except that I become for a very short while (so to speak) His Tabernacle
paduard

Personally it can change day by day, week by week. If I have a lot on my mind I turn to the recommended prayers in the missal to stop my mind from wandering and to focus on bringing my all to Christ (including the things on my mind).

Other times I find it useful to say a decade of the Rosary. Sometimes I will try to just focus on the host and allow the silence of the heart to form devotions (difficult to put this into words but it works well for me).

The Jesus Prayer is also a favourite of mine as it is short enough to repeat right up to the point of recieving the Sacrament and pick up again immediately after.

Before Communion, I always say something like this (parts of which I believe come from a Catholic prayer.) “Lord, may my reception of Your Body and Blood not bring me condemnation, but pardon and peace, a greater awareness of my sins and a greater love for You.”

I think about Jesus, of course.:slight_smile: I return to my seat, kneel, and keep my eyes shut for several seconds, just trying to see an image of Him in my mind. I once saw Him in a white robe, long hair, just the way He’s depicted, looking at me, holding His Hand out to me. It only lasted, that image, for a few seconds, and I more saw it in my mind’s eye than really saw it…but it just seemed as though that image was probably given to me in the moment. After I’ve shut my eyes, I look straight ahead and up at the Crucifix above the altar. I always regard receiving Communion as very sacred, and I even feel I shouldn’t be chewing on the host, just let it melt on my tongue.

I thank Jesus first for calling me to partake even though there is no way I am worthy and then thank Him for my baptism and salvation. I tell Him how much I love Him and adore Him as best I can but it will never equal what he deserves.

Sometimes I’m moved to tears when thinking how fortunate I am to have a God who loves me so much he wants to be part of me.

One of my favourite prayers to say before going to the altar rail is the Prayer of Humble Access, found in the BCP, it is also included in the Ordinariate Use.

We do not presume to come to this thy Table, O merciful Lord, trusting in our own righteousness, but in thy manifold and great mercies. We are not worthy so much as to gather up the crumbs under thy Table. But thou art the same Lord, whose property is always to have mercy: Grant us therefore, gracious Lord, so to eat the flesh of thy dear Son Jesus Christ, and to drink his blood, that our sinful bodies may be made clean by his body, and our souls washed through his most precious blood, and that we may evermore dwell in him, and he in us. Amen.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.