Thoughts on Amazon Synod

Was thinking about the Synod and events of the last few weeks. It might help to reflect upon Christ’s encounter with the Samaritan woman (Jn 4). Here are some general thoughts.

New signs of missionary development are often cause for concern, and may even seem like scandal:

“How can you, a Jew, ask me, a Samaritan woman, for a drink?”

But we must have confidence in God:

"Whoever drinks the water I shall give will never thirst; the water I shall give will become in him a spring of water welling up to eternal life.”

Christ’s mission was (and is) to bring the Good News to all:

“You people worship what you do not understand; we worship what we understand, because salvation is from the Jews.”

But change is vital and is what God seeks:

“… The hour is coming, and is now here, when true worshipers will worship the Father in Spirit and truth; and indeed the Father seeks such people to worship him.”

In this way, many will come to the faith:

“Come see a man who told me everything I have done. Could he possibly be the Messiah?”

3 Likes

A missionary many times takes on certain aspects of the culture they seek to bring Christ to. Just like Jesus did, he is God, but he worked, he ate the food given to him, he dressed like a Jew and followed Jewish law. He also was a Jew.

IMO if we forget that our Holy Father is a Jesuit ,and haven’t taken any time to research what a Jesuit is called to live and be, we will never understand Pope Francis…he is not a diocesan priest. He would naturally use terms that are part of Jesuits Charism, formation and spirituality. The Jesuits have saints who have been missionaries. I think we are jumping fast to conclusions regarding the synod and this article expresses what Pope Francis is praying for, hoping for that the Holy Spirit will accomplish if, if the Bishops are open and seeking the will of God.

2 Likes

My initial thoughts on this synod…scream and shout and runabout…don’t panic, don’t panic

2 Likes

Thoughts on the Amazon are to pray and wait.

6 Likes

Church is in a dark period. Paganism and Polytheism is running rampant. For some divine reason beyond my comprehension, God is permitting Satan to have his way, but it will be temporary. We know this because Our Lady of Fatima said in the end, her Immaculate Heart will triumph.

18 Likes

My guess is God is using this synod as a chastisement for us and as a means to show us which of the shepherds will be faithful and which will compromise the faith for the sake of being “welcoming” and being more “attractive” to the world.

11 Likes

What else does ‘witness’ mean? Go into the Gospels and you’ll find Jesus being welcoming and attractive in spirit.

Please don’t misquote me. It’s not very nice.

It’s one thing to be welcoming, it’s another thing to chastise people out of love and correct them and their bad behaviors. Jesus did that as well.

8 Likes

Being indiscriminately “welcoming” without care for the integrity of the faith is condemned in Scripture.

2 John 10 If any one comes to you and does not bring this doctrine, do not receive him into the house or give him any greeting; 11 for he who greets him shares his wicked work.

Welcoming the penitent, for example, is a good thing. Calling all to penitence is a good thing. Providing charity to all is a good thing–both the needs of the spirit and the needs of the body. Welcoming the performance of superstitious ritual is not. Nor is welcoming non-Christian errors, as if they were compatible, complementary, or supplementary with Christian truth, or that those who promote them are a source of revelation, which ended with the death of the last Apostle.

2 Cor. 6:14 Do not be mismated with unbelievers. For what partnership have righteousness and iniquity? Or what fellowship has light with darkness? 15 What accord has Christ with Be′lial?[a] Or what has a believer in common with an unbeliever? 16 What agreement has the temple of God with idols? For we are the temple of the living God; as God said,

“I will live in them and move among them,
and I will be their God,
and they shall be my people.
17 Therefore come out from them,
and be separate from them, says the Lord,
and touch nothing unclean;
then I will welcome you,
18 and I will be a father to you,
and you shall be my sons and daughters,
says the Lord Almighty.”

To sum it all up:

Bl. Pius IX, Quanto Conficiamur Moerore

1. God forbid that the children of the Catholic Church should even in any way be unfriendly to those who are not at all united to us by the same bonds of faith and love. On the contrary, let them be eager always to attend to their needs with all the kind services of Christian charity, whether they are poor or sick or suffering any other kind of visitation. First of all, let them rescue them from the darkness of the errors into which they have unhappily fallen and strive to guide them back to Catholic truth and to their most loving Mother who is ever holding out her maternal arms to receive them lovingly back into her fold. Thus, firmly founded in faith, hope, and charity and fruitful in every good work, they will gain eternal salvation.
14 Likes

Not in the Gospels that I read

2 Likes

Looks like Paganism to me

8 Likes

Nothing to see here, just a bishop contemplating heresy:

I also loved his line on how indigenous people and how they are unable to comprehend celibacy:

I guess the jungle people will just never be able to figure this out, better start ordaining married priests.

8 Likes

“The sacrifices of pagans are offered to demons, not to God, and I do not want you to be participants with demons.”
St Paul, 1 Cor 10:20

EGaZ7qtUwAAOqu6

9 Likes

This fabricated paternalistic excuse for changing the traditions of the church is disgusting.

Seems that there are sisters hearing confessions (without offering absolution, so what’s the point?) and witnessing “marriages” without a priest. There was also a religious priest from the area in a video talking (positively) about a deacon being authorized by the bishop to offer the sacrifice of the mass when the deacon informed him that there would be no mass because there was no priest for that Sunday. Yet for some reason, they’re sending priests from Africa here? Don’t get me wrong, I’m glad to have nice conservative priests, but this priest shortage in the Amazon seems a touch fabricated if they’re sending them to the US where we seem to have more priests per capita than they do.

10 Likes

It’s the worst kind of clericalism, which has really been rampant. The poor rubes in the Amazon simply can’t comprehend the things us intelligent German bishops can, so we just must dumb it down for them. It’s pretty much just racism. Celibacy has been counter-cultural in most places since the time of Christ.

Notice, the priest in the story thought so lowly of those people he didn’t explain why he chose to be celibate for the kingdom of God. Instead he simply lied to them. That’s a perfect microcosm of how the clergy have treated all those they see as below them for decades now.

13 Likes

Or, maybe the person doesn’t understand it (or accept the rationale) himself.

That’s an interesting way to look at it. I’d like to think there is a more benign explanation, but…

Dan

4 Likes

My thoughts on the synod thus far are not good and if what has taken place in these early days are any indication of what is to come, it’s hard to be reassured.

I think this synod isn’t about the Amazonians per se, nor their plight. I believe that the Amazon was specifically chosen because of its unique issues and problems in relation to the “evangelization” efforts in the region.

That way the hierarchy can use this as an example of why they need to (insert change here). However, it won’t be widespread. It’ll be unique to this region and when they get the numbers to show that their little experiment worked, they’ll use it as proof and insist on allowing this change in other locations.

Sadly it’ll become as normal as communion in the hand. So in a decade or two the arguments will no longer matter and the supporters of it will revert back to the often quoted “well the Church in her wisdom allowed it”.

And if the faith continues to erode and the numbers fall at an even quicker rate we’ll be told that “correlation doesn’t equal causation” and the changes at the synod have nothing to do with it.

8 Likes

Looks like a bunch of pandering to pagans to me. Can’t believe that picture of the Franciscan bowing before pagan statues.

9 Likes

Alright I’m out guys. I sick and tired of this site censoring real thoughts and real feelings.

Its a sad state of affairs when Catholics can’t have real conversations without getting censored. Pretty good view at what the Church is today. SMH

6 Likes
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.