Thoughts on E Nomine

There is a german trance group called E Nomine. There are songs like Das Omen, Mitternacht, and Vater Unser. This is the german translation but is it satanic in its meaning. I think it’s good music. Just curious to hear people thoughts on wheather or not its bad? I listen for the music not the ideology behind it.

Your Opinions on these songs?

hortoholic

It’s not satanic. ‘E Nomine’ means ‘From the Name’. Ever hear the trinitarian formula in Latin? ‘In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti’ – it’s a reference to that. They’re a theme band, every album has a different core concept.

The first album was about Christianity. Vaterunser was on that one, it’s just the Paternoster in German. Also on that album were versions of Psalm 23, the Ave Maria, and songs about the sack of Jericho, the Last Supper, the Deluge, and so on and so forth.

The second album was all classic horror movies. Mitternacht was one track and not linked to any specific movie I know of, but others referenced Dracula, Wolfman, Psycho, The Exorcist, and Nightmare on Elm Street.

The third and most recent album is the one I haven’t heard. The name translates to ‘The Prophecies’. Yes, there’s a flaming pentagram on the album cover, but that doesn’t necessarily mean anything either :wink:

Bottom line, it’s decently danceable industrial with at least two pretty good gimmicks so far. If they worship what they make music about, the cognitive dissonance involved in reconciling ‘The Lord is My Shepherd’ with Gary Oldman’s dub actor waxing melodramatic about Vlad Dracula’s Blood Wedding would probably make something implode.

Thanks Mirdath! I totally agree with you. They do make good music. I was just unsure what they were really about. You made it much clearer.

Thanks,

hortoholic

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.