Thoughts on the LORD'S prayer

Forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us
And lead us not into temptation
But deliver us from evil

I’ve taken these petitions separately when I pray, but I see how they also fit together very closely.

When I pray “…we …” and “,us,” I am thinking about all of us – in the world. I think it’s a prayer for all of us.

But, I’m thinking in particular of me and somebody who have things to forgive each other for. And the temptations I pray to avoid are not forgiving and not seeking to take some sort of revenge, including holding back. I think that’s also the evil I want to avoid.

When I think about this long-standing grudge match, all of these fit together. They’re “spot on.”

I consider “as” to be the most important word in the prayer, because it calls us to do what God does. We are asked to do what God does!

When we ask God to lead us, we are making a commitment to follow God. That is one of many ways we are united with God, have the Holy Spirit, become the body of Christ, doing what God does, following God.

In light of the context, God leads us into temptation. We are asked to forgive “those who trespass against us” which seems to me like the time when I would be most tempted to revenge, or anger, or other impertinent action. I have to forgive when I would rather perpetuate my feelings of being wronged.

And perhaps it is forgiving that frees us from the evil of endless grudges.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.