Thousands protest for Hagia Sophia to return as Mosque

m.youtube.com/watch?v=OnS9EjoYcCU

breitbart.com/national-security/2015/05/25/muslims-demand-turkey-convert-hagia-sophia-into-mosque/

Hagia Sophia isn’t a mosque? I had no idea it went back to being a church.

edit: Oh, it isn’t even a church. It’s a national museum. Golly gee wilkins.

Hopefully it goes back into a church. Although if St. Paisios’ predictions come true, the Hagia Sophia will supposedly return to the Orthodox, God willing.

They have protested over this before. I wish it would remain a museum, but my fear is the Muslims will get their wish and it will revert to being a mosque.

What purpose did it serve when it was originally built?

It served as Constantinople’s cathedral before the city was conquered by the Muslims in the 15th century.

Oh. I suppose there’s a snowballs chance in hell of returning it to that purpose. :stuck_out_tongue:

The article says that “The idea to change the church into a mosque begun to gain momentum in April after Pope Francis recognized the slaying of 1.5 million Armenians as genocide”

No. That is not true. It was gaining momentum long before that. They just decided ot was time for another protest.

Amen!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.