Thousands take to the streets in Spain's capital to protest against abortion

MADRID (AP) – Tens of thousands of people have taken part in a demonstration in Madrid to protest against the conservative government’s decision to scrap plans to restrict the availability of abortion.

The march Saturday took place under the slogan “Every Life Matters.” Some 500 buses brought people from all over the country to take part.

Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy in September ditched a promise by his Popular Party to restrict abortion to only cases of rape or serious health risks, saying there was no consensus for change.

latino.foxnews.com/latino/lifestyle/2014/11/22/thousands-take-to-streets-in-spain-capital-to-protest-against-abortion/

The difference between a left wing party and a center right party is that the left makes change and pushes their ideology while the center right is terrified to do anything and only keeps the status quo or eventually joins along with liberal policies. You never really see the left demonize their wing while the center right hates the right more than the left in a lot of cases. So many center right parties have just become do nothing pro big business parties.

I am always relieved and happy to see people take to the streets on this.

Me too.

People attend an anti-abortion rally in Madrid, Spain, Saturday, Nov. 22, 2014 . Tens of thousands of people have taken part in a demonstration in Madrid to protest against the conservative government’s decision to scrap plans to restrict the availability of abortion. The march Saturday took place under the slogan Every Life Matters. Some 500 buses brought people from all over the country to take part. Banner reads ‘‘Live and let live’’. (AP Photo/Daniel Ochoa de Olza)

I thought the photo would be appropriate given the gravitas of the story. And the articles’ photo caption.

Since it’s a “conservative government” backing down - are these protesters angry at not getting what had been promised?

On the day of personal judgement when some of these might be asked “what did you do to stop abortion in your country when you were alive?” they can say, “I marched in the streets and let my voice be heard on behalf of those at risk who could not speak for themselves – and to rescue mothers who were being deceived into making that terrible mistake!” IMO.

:gopray2: - Rogacion por Espana y America

:thumbsup:

It’s good that the people are protesting abortion. Now, since Spain has a total fertility rate of 1.48, far below population replacement levels, maybe they should also be demonstrating against contraception.

Good luck with that - I would be afraid of getting arrested on some sort of intolerance / disturbing the peace charge. :o Actually, I guess they do let the anti gay marriage people march in France…maybe I am getting a little paranoid…

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.