Threat of world Aids pandemic among heterosexuals is over, report admits

Dr De Cock said: “It is very unlikely there will be a heterosexual epidemic in other countries. Ten years ago a lot of people were saying there would be a generalised epidemic in Asia – China was the big worry with its huge population. That doesn’t look likely. But we have to be careful. As an epidemiologist it is better to describe what we can measure. There could be small outbreaks in some areas.”

In 2006, the Global Fund for HIV, Malaria and Tuberculosis, which provides 20 per cent of all funding for Aids, warned that Russia was on the cusp of a catastrophe. An estimated 1 per cent of the population was infected, mainly through injecting drug use, the same level of infection as in South Africa in 1991 where the prevalence of the infection has since risen to 25 per cent.
Dr De Cock said: “I think it is unlikely there will be extensive heterosexual spread in Russia. But clearly there will be some spread.”

Aids still kills more adults than all wars and conflicts combined, and is vastly bigger than current efforts to address it. A joint WHO/UN Aids report published this month showed that nearly three million people are now receiving anti-retroviral drugs in the developing world, but this is less than a third of the estimated 9.7 million people who need them. In all there were 33 million people living with HIV in 2007, 2.5 million people became newly infected and 2.1 million died of Aids.

independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-wellbeing/health-news/threat-of-world-aids-pandemic-among-heterosexuals-is-over-report-admits-842478.html

There NEVER was as major a threat to heteros as the media and many health organizations protrayed it to be. Sure there IS a threat but its ALWAYS been far more minor than reported.

They purposely misled people (I think) to get funding and to make gays “on par” with straights. There was an adgenda at work.

I love how the article says but there might be in the future!

There is still much which is not known about HIV. The theory has been that the subtype of HIV which is predominant in the US, Western Europe and Japan (subtype B) is harder to transmit heterosexually than the subtype common in southern Africa (subtype C). Fears of a pandemic in the US was based upon the idea that the non-B subtypes would eventually find their way here - which they have. But the dreaded pandemic has not taken place.

So this report is good news!

But it is still important to remember, as the article points out:

Aids still kills more adults than all wars and conflicts combined, and is vastly bigger than current efforts to address it. A joint WHO/UN Aids report published this month showed that nearly three million people are now receiving anti-retroviral drugs in the developing world, but this is less than a third of the estimated 9.7 million people who need them. In all there were 33 million people living with HIV in 2007, 2.5 million people became newly infected and 2.1 million died of Aids.

Oh so it’s ok if a gay person and a black person dies from AIDS its ok, but if a white hetero dies, its suddenly bad. And I encourage everyone here who says AIDS isn’t an epidimeic to go work in an African Ohrphange for a month like I have.

The real and permanent solution is free and easy on an individual level.:wink:

GratefulDad;3781931]

The real and permanent solution is free and easy on an individual level.:wink:

You got that right pal. Sex, Drugs, and Rock-n…Rap. ALL personal choices. I say: Let them wipe themselves out. Who cares? THEY sure don’t.(the additcs, immorals, gays, etc) The ignorant, well that’s a different story, they should be taught how NOT to get it. Those in industrialized nations, who know better, screw em.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.