Three American friends hospitalised after becoming 'possessed' following Ouija board game in Mexican village

Three American friends have been taken to hospital after reportedly becoming ‘possessed’ by evil spirits while playing with a Ouija board.

Alexandra Huerta, 22, was playing the game with her brother Sergio, 23, and 18-year-old cousin Fernando Cuevas at a house in the village of San Juan Tlacotenco in south-west Mexico.

But minutes into it, she apparently started ‘growling’ and thrashing around in a ‘trance-like’ state…

…Alexandra’s parents said they had called paramedics after a local Catholic priest refused to perform an exorcism on the three because they were not regular churchgoers.

The Ouija board - also known as a spirit board or talking board - is a flat board marked with the letters of the alphabet, the numbers 0-9, the words ‘yes’, ‘no’, ‘hello’ and ‘goodbye’ and various symbols and graphics.

It uses a small heart-shaped piece of wood or movable indicator to indicate the spirit’s message by spelling it out on the board during a seance.

Participants place their fingers on the wood and it is supposedly moved around the board by the spirit to spell out words.

Mainstream religions and some occultists have associated use of a Ouija board with the concept of demonic possession, and have cautioned their followers not to use one.

Read more: dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2665899/Possessed-girl.html#ixzz35Vw75NBe

Wow. That is horrible. I wonder if they can get another priest to do an exorcism?

Seeking spiritual power outside the holy trinity or seeking prayers from true angels, saints, and Christians; under Gods dominion leaves one open to the demonic. No one should even own a Ouija board. They are very dangerous.,

Definitely not worth messing with Ouija boards.
Mary.

I think it’s disturbing that a priest wouldn’t be willing to investigate because the people didn’t attend attend mass regularly.

Evil is real. I have mostly heard of oppression more so than possession…but it might depend… still, sad but very true that we wrestle against powers and principalities but are assured of deliverance in the precious blood of Jesus our Lord! We must stay clear of all that is told to us is dangerous by the Church and this is one of the warnings we need to heed. My prayers for your friends.

mlz

St. Michael the Archangel, defend us from evil. Be our defense against the wickedness and snares of the devil. May God rebuke him we humbly pray and do thou oh prince of the Heavenly Host cast into hell Satan and all the evil spirits who prowl the world for the ruin of souls. Amen.

What the hell with teenagers playing with their own lives? :nope:

that’s what I thought…

I’m not saying that demonic possession isn’t real, but I don’t think this case passes the smell test. IMO, it has hoax written all over it.

Maybe I should start a thread on this in another forum, but even though I’ve never used one of these boards (and never would), I don’t see how what’s marketed as a game could in and of itself hold such evil .

I guess because evil can use games as a medium to possess humans? Who make the boards anyway? And who allow the boards to be sold?

If it could be empirically demonstrated that Ouija boards caused demonic possession – or any other kind of measurable harm – the manufacturers would have been sued into bankruptcy ages ago.

The priest at the parish I was at some years back was the exorcist for the province. When he had any session, he had a team with him and they prepared by fasting for a week before hand and confession. This isn’t something that should be taken lightly and it takes preparation.

The kids are supposedly thrashing about and hallucinating…and the parents take the time and trouble to look for a priest first, before calling paramedics and getting immediate medical attention???
That’s ridiculous!
The parents are such experts in demonic possession that they know right away that the kids are "possessed’?

Perhaps the priest said “no” because he did not believe them.

It sounds like someone drugged them, or they all took something.

The whole thing sounds fishy. Where in America are they from? I bet there will be a follow-up to this story…

Hello.

Doesn’t a priest need the permission of his bishop before he can perform an exorcism? Just wondering…

You aren’t the only one.

I think it’s one of the major companies - either Milton Bradley or Parker Brothers.

Also, wouldn’t the priest need to rule out medical explanations first?

This sounds like superstition to me. I would be more apt to believe in this type of thing if there was anything supernatural about Ouija boards. Since they were invented in the 1800’s as a toy I feel confident that it’s all nonsense.

Of course an Ouija board is just a piece of wood, like an icon is just a piece of wood. BUT, anytime people open themselves up to the occult, the demons are waiting for a chance. That part is real.

My parish priest who was the exorcist for the province used to go over a list of things that Catholics should stay away from and the Ouija board was on that list.

I suspect if we could see what was going on in the supernatural, we would be terrified.

But there is nothing supernatural about the board. It was invented as a game to capitalize on the spiritualist craze going on at the time. I’m sure there are people that believe a magic 8 ball gives correct answers but I’ve never heard of anybody getting possesed as a result of using one. If there were any truth to the dangers of the board, possesions should be more widespread. Millions of these things have been sold but we only hear of a few stories of people getting possesed and coincidentally they occur in places that are generally superstitious.

:thumbsup: It is always wrong for us to invest any kind of object with spiritual power, whether a piece of wood or a golden calf. It is even possible for Catholics to cross the line into superstition with practices like burying a statue of Saint Joseph in your yard to facilitate the sale of real estate. When we use sacraments and sacramentals we know where they came from and see that they point us to Jesus. They are never used randomly or used to manipulate God. That is what pagans do.

Modern Ouija boards were introduced to America by Parker Brothers, which was once owned by General Mills and is now owned by Hasbro. We were warned about them in grade school, and although the warnings seemed extreme, I also saw no reason to risk it for nothing more than curiosity. A lot of young people try drugs for curiosity alone, too. Both are really dumb decisions.

allabouttheoccult.org/ouija-board.htm

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parker_Brothers

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.