Three American Girls En Route to Syria Planned to Join Militant Groups

abcnews.go.com/International/american-girls-en-route-syria-tracked-fbi/story?id=26353762

The FBI has tracked down three American teenage girls in Germany while they were en route to Syria to join militant groups, a law enforcement official told ABC News today.

The girls, who are from the Denver area, were trying “to fulfill what they believe is some vision that has been put out on a slick media campaign” by radical groups in Syria, including ISIS, the official said.

When they say “American girls” I’m sure they probably mean that they were living in America but that either the girls or their parents are from a Sunni Muslim country. There are a lot of Muslim immigrants in Western countries these days. And there was something like this story back in September '14 that was reported by the Daily Beast except that it was about a girl in Scotland. The article began by saying that she was “a young woman from Scotland” who wanted to travel to Syria to join with ISIS and marry one of them. But it was revealed later in the article that she was actually from a Sunni Muslim family that immigrated to Scotland from Pakistan. So I think it’s probably the same kind of thing again this time. Here was that article: The Bride of ISIS Revealed

I live in the Denver Metro area. According to our local news, two girls were of Somali descent, and one was Sudanese.

The article says:

The two sisters are from Somalia and the 16-year-old is from Sudan, according to a federal law enforcement source briefed on the case.

Either way, this scares me. The fact that young people here in the West feel that ISIS is good is scary. How are the youth becoming this way? Is it that the west has lost its holiness?

I also worry about the growing number of Muslims in the country. My commuter train to the Suburbs now has a handful of Muslim women who completely cover their bodies in black. Everything is covered except their eyes. And their accents are from Philly. Which means that either converted, moved here young, or were born here. But they are adopting an extreme practice of completely covering up, not just their hair.

May The Lord lead us to peace and to do His will. Amen.

businessinsider.com/how-a-teenage-girl-fell-in-with-isis-2014-9

And then there was the American girl who got involved with ISIS that had so sort of Muslim background.

There have been many cases of converts of Islam heading to Syria to join ISIS.

When the child of immigrants does head to Syria, most of the news articles say that the parents are very distressed by what’s happen and they don’t support what their child is doing.

It is scary. But as to how they become this way, in this case they were probably born into it. Others are converting into it. In both cases, there’s no doubt that Islam is definite in what it believes. In contrast, various Protestant denominations are generally in a state of descending to believe that its’ best not to be offensive to anyone, welcoming of everyone even it it means converting disorder into a false order, and standing in the end for nearly nothing at all. I recently even heard one Protestant cleric (who admittedly was in a same gender relationship) somewhat insult St. Paul with the suggestion that in her denomination they didn’t take his writings to be inspired words.

About the only churches in the US that really stand for something are those small parts of Protestant denominations that have separated from their main bodies and the Catholic and Orthodox churches. But with we Catholics, we have a large body of “liberal” Catholics that would take us right down the same road that the Episcopal Church is traveling into oblivion, and that sort of things is reported in the Press all the time, with the Press acting as the cheerleader for it.

With all that being the case, for those not born into Islam, but who are young and looking for a Faith that knows what it believes and isn’t afraid to die for it, why wouldn’t they be attracted to it. And for those who are born into it, looking out at a Christian world that is sanctioning everything in society and which seems to have only the concept that the doctrines of faith amount to “be nice”, the same is true.

We should note that the Apostles weren’t afraid to state that God had laws, and they were willing, and did, die for them. Catholics are remarkably unwilling to say things like that today in many instances. If we do, we’ll give young people something to think about.

Amen

:highprayer:

:signofcross:

cnn.com/2014/10/22/us/colorado-teens-syria-odyssey/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

[quote=http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/22/us/colorado-teens-syria-odyssey/index.html?hpt=hp_t1]

German authorities intercepted the trio, ages 15, 16 and 17, at Frankfurt airport and put them on a plane back to the United States, where they were greeted by FBI agents.

The three girls were questioned and released. Two U.S. officials say they had planned to join militants with ISIS, the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria.

[/quote]

During WWII Japanese, German and Italian Americans were interred in the USA to various degrees …
Maybe we should at least try to curtail Americans trying to join
ISIS by threatening to save taxpayer money by putting them to work digging latrines in Liberia. :newidea:

rex

Hundreds of volunteers go to Liberia to do help provide much needed care to people who might otherwise die unaided by the roadside. That is an honorable and very Christian thing to do, so the assignment of any kind of work in Liberia as the fitting lot for enemies of our state, just does not sit very well with me.

If these girls have US citizenship either through birth or naturalization they are American.

Yes, for those who volunteer, it is a “very Christian thing to do” and for our boys in uniform being ordered to do it and doing it, it’s not only Christian, but above and beyond the call of duty in the opinion of many of us;

So for anyone among us personally or with family or relatives by whom the task of digging latrines in Liberia is a volunteered reality, I apologize if I’ve offended you, but I still think digging latrines in Liberia (without wearing a hazmat) is just punishment for any captive ISIS member.

rex

I respect your right to your opinion. In my own opinion, there is no justification for viewing Ebola (or anything associated with it) as a punishment, anymore than the enterovirus killing kids this year should be considered a punishment fit for criminals.

To be honest “seekerz” I think you’re trying to imply something racist on my part and it almost seems to me that you’re trying to accuse me of labeling Ebola victims as being punished for God only knows why.
In other words I think you’re reading something into my words which isn’t there, but there certainly is a drainage and sanitation problem in these west African countries where there is Ebola and it certainly is a job which I wouldn’t want to do, i.e. digging rudimentary. sewage drainage ditches (latrines);

However, as much as I’m going to miss posting in this forum, I think I should try to wean myself from it.

rex

Racist? Where did I imply anything of the sort? To my knowledge, people of all races can and do get Ebola, so I have no idea what you mean.

I just don’t particularly care to see a deadly disease (Google “hospital from hell”) tossed about in conversation in a semi-casual way. That’s my pet peeve. Why you would read anything more into an opinion that I clearly labelled ‘personal’ is beyond me.

Sorry if I offended you.

But usually when it’s a convert it’s a full-grown adult and not a teenager.

That’s why I said that probably “either the girls or their parents are from a Sunni Muslim country.” I said that before reading the article. But the girls themselves actually are from another country. In the article it says, “The two sisters are from Somalia and the 16-year-old is from Sudan, according to a federal law enforcement source briefed on the case.” As I said in the post before this one, I realize that there are converts to Islam who are going over there to join with ISIS. But American converts to Islam who do this are typically not teenagers.

Greetings,
today two people are dead in Canada. One a Canadian soldier standing duty at the National war memorial. The other an apparent radicalized “lone wolf” (scum bag) that tried to leave Canada to join isis but was being watched-stopped and passport taken. A few days ago two other soldiers attacked with a car as a weapon in Canada-one dead the other survived to my knowledge- The “lone wolf” (scum bag) also had his passport taken as he was going to join isis.
These girls are of age to drive or at least two are-have apparently been radicalized and their passports have been revoked I believe. Born in the u.s. or not they are a clear threat to others and should be watched very closely or could become lone wolves out of frustration for not being able to make it to fight with isis. Blessings to all.

They are enemy combatants.
Send them to Guantanamo until he war is over.

The Denver Post reports that the two Colorado girls asked their friends to pray for them.

I’d have to say that, by their getting arrested, those prayers were answered, although not in the way they were thinking they would be.

If some in the media are calling the Islamic terrorist a “lone wolf,” a true lone wolf is someone who gets the idea for an attack on his own and carries out the attack for some kind of personal vendetta. But in these cases, they did the attacks in obedience to the instructions that were given out by these Islamic terror organizations.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.