Three Days of Darkness

Has anyone ever heard of the “Three Days of Darkness” I saw that Padre Pio wrote on this, but I am having a hard time understanding or believing this. Please enlighten me. Thanks

jimmyakin.org/2010/01/a-reader-writessomebody-asked-me-in-regard-of-this-article-is-it-true-or-false-is-it-authentic-or-just-regular-pious-writi.html

I’ve read about this prophecy from several sources over the past 40 or so years. It’s supposed to happen shortly before the end of the world, before Jesus returns. It’s not something that’s required by the Church for anyone to believe, because it’s considered to be ‘private revelations’, but there have been many ‘seers’ that have mentioned it in the past 200ish years. :shrug:

I don’t really pay too much attention to stuff like this.

It happens every year in Los Angeles. Usually in March.

Pax Christi!

Following this.

God bless.

Thanks for the responses, but I am still wondering if this is just a bunch of superstition or millennialism hype. thanks

I think that it could happen. I read St. Faustina’s diary - it has a serious warning in there (somewhere around entry 86 - something like that). There have been numerous saints that have pointed to something like this. But, it’s been coming for hundreds of years. The odds are - you’ll die before it gets here anyway.

I spent some time being freaked out about it. But, even in St. Faustina’s diary, there is going to be an overt warning prior to the event. So, now, I am going to just live my life attempting to do the will of God as much as I possibly can.

I went through a cycle of discovery, then freaking out, then preparing, then accepting, then asking for mercy on the whole world.

If you think about it, though, why would 3 days of darkness cause you any concern?

Thanks for the response, I have no real concern. I actually found it intriguing since I thought I had heard of most things regarding end times and the explanations behind them. I had never heard about this before.

To me I go by the “ we do not know the day or hour” of the second coming so I “TRY” to live a good and moral life as Christ would want us to do, participate in the sacraments, and try to persevere to the end.

Most of the things we tend to ‘hear about’ the end times are from other people that read the Apocalypse (as Revelations), and think they can somehow figure it all out, just by reading those scriptures. Many of them are under the impression that all of it speaks about the ‘end times’, but that’s not necessarily true. It’s based on visions that have a lot of symbolism in them, but much of it concerns the spiritual mysteries of salvation, the Church and the Mass. Many of the symbols that we see used in it have a long history of use throughout the Bible. But, they are not always used in the same ways.

Even though we cannot know ‘the hour’ of His coming, Jesus also told us that many would have the gift of prophecy. So, it is possible that holy souls can receive messages from God that can prepare us for what might happen. I think the 3 days of darkness is part of the “warning” that many saints have spoken about. It doesn’t tell us the exact time of His coming, but it tells us that there is an event that will let us know that the time is getting very close. It’s meant to inspire us to pray all the more fervently, for all the souls around us at that point in time, when we see it happen. I don’t think it’s something we should just sweep under the rug, but we certainly shouldn’t live our lives in fear of it happening, either.

It is disputed that St. Pio actually prophesied anything concerning the 3 days of darkness, and there is no solid evidence that he did.

The last known actual prophecy of this was from Anna Maria Taigi (1769–1837)

There shall come over the whole earth an intense darkness lasting three days and three nights. Nothing can be seen, and the air will be laden with pestilence which will claim mainly, but not only, the enemies of religion. It will be impossible to use any man-made lighting during this darkness, except blessed candles. He, who out of curiosity, opens his window to look out, or leaves his home, will fall dead on the spot. During these three days, people should remain in their homes, pray the Rosary and beg God for mercy. All the enemies of the Church, whether known or unknown, will perish over the whole earth during that universal darkness, with the exception of a few whom God will soon convert. The air shall be infected by demons who will appear under all sorts of hideous forms.

Other less reliable sources came along after and embellished the prophecy, adding more details and other requirements such as specific candles and other such nonsense. Take it all with a grain of salt and don’t worry about it. Who knows if it will even ever happen in our life times.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.