Three fold office

I have read that the 3 fold office. A new term to me of Christology was started by Eusebius and expounded on by Calvin. Now does the church go by Calvin in this? I wouldn’t think so. :shrug: Who do you read on this?

Bill

The word “Christ” comes from the Greek translation of the Hebrew Messiah, which means “anointed”. It became the name proper to Jesus only because he accomplished perfectly the divine mission that “Christ” signifies. In effect, in Israel those consecrated to God for a mission that he gave were anointed in his name. This was the case for kings, for priests and, in rare instances, for prophets.[sup]29[/sup] This had to be the case all the more so for the Messiah whom God would send to inaugurate his kingdom definitively.[sup]30[/sup] It was necessary that the Messiah be anointed by the Spirit of the Lord at once as king and priest, and also as prophet.[sup]31[/sup] Jesus fulfilled the messianic hope of Israel in his threefold office of priest, prophet and king. CCC 436]

29 Cf. Ex 29:7; Lev 8:12; 1 Sam 9:16; 10:1; 16:1,12-13; 1 Kings 1:39; 19:16.
30 Cf. Ps 2:2; Acts 4:26-27.
31 Cf. Isa 11:2; 61:1; Zech 4:14; 6:13; Lk 4:16-21.

I don’t see the Institutes of Christian Religion among the references.

Thanks for that from the CCC. I have one and sometimes it’s kind of hard to find what you want. And then when you find something it seems you don’t find it all. All that you are looking for. What really got me on this one though is Calvin. The church doesn’t teach Calvinism surely. But has the idea matured furthur than from simply Eusebius. I will look into it. Thanks again.

Bill

No, but there’s nothing that says that Calvin could not have had some additional insight, and his insight might be the truth. Just because a protestant said it doesn’t make it wrong, especially if it follows from established Church teaching. Protestants are not somehow prevented from having truthful insights into the Faith.

Calvin’s defense of infant Baptism remains my go-to source anytime I find myself discussing this topic. His defense is the best I have ever read.

No I suppose not. Especially if they understand and agree with the church’s insight. If I sound a bit biased here I apologize but I guess I am. I am so used to the as they call them “Jesus freaks” that have just about totally turned the faith’s teaching concerning God inside out and made it “Jesus only”.

If Calvin is safe to look at then maybe that can be looked at.

It most cases, unless you know more than Calvin does it would not be safe to look at his writings. Why go there ? Here is a Catholic source on the three offices.

See sections 1A. and 6.

defendingthebride.com/ch/hand.html

Thanks much I appreciate it.

Bill

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.