Three months pregnant

Do we have any extant traditions concerning the Blessed Virgin’s conception/ pregnancy during her three month stay with her cousin Elizabeth, and her return home?

I’m just wondering what the commentaries propose for how she was received and re-integrated into the community.

Most Nativity stories shy away from that particular aspect.

A three month old pregnancy is still pretty pronounced in so far as pregnancy is concerned. I wonder whether or not it might make for a more profound meditation this Adventide to reflect on that reality. Just how much of an outcast were Jesus and Mary.

That God’s Word would take flesh in a manner outside of the expected boundaries, and yet that is precisely how He enters this world.

“For the wisdom of this world is foolishness with God. For it is written: I will catch the wise in their own craftiness.” - 1 Corinthians 3: 19

I don’t know of any traditions on the matter.

However, the Bible says, “And her husband Joseph, being a just man and unwilling to put her to shame, resolved to send her away quietly.” (Matthew 1:19) Thus, it sounds to me like the matter was kept “quiet” and didn’t cause Mary or Jesus any public “shame” and he was regarded in his hometown of Nazareth simply as “the carpenter’s son.” (Matthew 13:55)

As Joseph was betrothed to her and did not cast her aside I don’t think she was cast aside by family, friends or community. There is even a good chance that Mary told of the visitation of the Angel and that Joseph told of his dream. Peace.

Do you know what would happen to women who were pregnant out of wedlock? They were stoned with the perpetrator. Even if Mary escaped punishment, I don’t think she escaped the stigma that went along with it.

Well, some see the designator “the tekton, the son of Mary” in Mark 6:3 and the retort to Jesus in John 8:41: “We are not born of fornication” (and the accusation of Jesus being a “Samaritan” and - in the context of the healing of the man born blind - a “sinner”) as a hint that there were people who suspected or knew that Joseph was not Jesus’ biological father: i.e. they considered Jesus a mamzer or bastard son, someone whose birth was suspect.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.