Three Nephites

I'm a little confused here and wonder if anyone can clear this up. According to the Mormons, the Church had apostatized and authority was withdrawn from the earth until it was given to Joseph Smith. Yet, according to them, John the Apostle and the Three Nephites were granted immortality. So, technically, authority never left since they still had it. Has this ever been explained by the Mormons?

And according to Brigham Young (another mormon “prophet”) the moon is inhabited by "beings six feet tall and dressed very much like Quakers."
The mormons have not been able to explain that one either.

We read in Mormon 8:10 of the three Nephites, “And there are none that do know the true God save it be the disciples of Jesus, who did tarry in the land until the wickedness of the people was so great that the Lord would not suffer them to remain with the people; and whether they be upon the face of the land no one knoweth.” So we see that the three Nephites were not permitted to stay with the people. John also was banished to the Isle of Patmos for his testimony of Christ. For one reason or another both were taken from among the people.

The apostasy refers to the absence of the Kingdom of God on the earth. There may have been some like John or the three Nephites who held the authority but they were not authorized to become the prophet, pass the keys, right the ordinances. They were taken purposefully from among the people. There is an important distinction between someone holding the priesthood and being authorized to establish his church anew.

[quote="hosemonkey, post:2, topic:286965"]
And according to Brigham Young (another mormon "prophet") the moon is inhabited by "beings six feet tall and dressed very much like Quakers."
The mormons have not been able to explain that one either.

[/quote]

I can think of some great ideas for some sci-fi stories using that quote though.

Not just the 3 nephites, but the Apostle John still walks the earth, too, accoording to the LDS Church.

As Janderich has shown, they have to do a lot a lot of tap dancing to support an alleged apostasy when one of the original 12 walked the earth.

And it was Joseph, not BY, who said the moon was inhabited by people who look like Quakers.

As far as I’m aware, isn’t the notion that St. John still walks the earth more of a tradition (little t) in the LDS church and not actually doctrine? Members of the Church generally DO believe that St. John is still around (hey, if the 3 Nephites are, then why not John?), but I’ve never read anything official on it.

Official LDS teaching

institute.lds.org/manuals/doctrine-and-covenants-institute-student-manual/dc-in-001-7.asp

Can they exercise it now, and if so, why don’t we see them out and about doing so?

Does your God delight in playing games? Or, just likes to leave people wandering in darkness?

Jesus promised us otherwise. He is our sure and reliable Lord.

[quote="Methos, post:1, topic:286965"]
I'm a little confused here and wonder if anyone can clear this up. According to the Mormons, the Church had apostatized and authority was withdrawn from the earth until it was given to Joseph Smith. Yet, according to them, John the Apostle and the Three Nephites were granted immortality. So, technically, authority never left since they still had it. Has this ever been explained by the Mormons?

[/quote]

Yes.

Without a functioning quorum of the apostles, John the Revelator and the Three Nephites could not run a functioning church.

Sounds like JS was joking. He did that a lot. It’s funny, because just 2 days ago I recounted that story to my kids, and they laughed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.