Three other officers involved in George Floyd arrest to face charges

All of the police officers who were present during George Floyd’s death will face charges.

Former Minneapolis police officers Thomas Lane, J. Alexander Kueng and Tou Thao — all of whom were fired after Floyd’s death in police custody — are expected to be charged for their roles in his arrest.

“Minnesota Attorney General Keith Ellison is increasing charges against Derek Chauvin to 2nd degree in George Floyd’s murder and also charging other 3 officers. This is another important step for justice,” Minnesota Sen. Amy Klobuchar tweeted Wednesday.

1 Like

But the riots will still continue.

These riots stopped being about George Floyd a long time ago.

5 Likes

Their might be real problems getting guilty verdicts.

One source says that one officer urged Chauvin to “put him on his side”, which might have saved all of this from happening but Chauvin declined.

There’s also an issue about the whole incident and NY Times may have even produced more video footage of what happened which seems like good investigative work but there seems to be some of the timeline that is not on the video so this could get interesting. There is a gap.

I am not going to post a whole new thread, it is being said that one Chauvin charge is being elevated to 2nd degree murder from 3rd.

I heard that with the “3rd degree murder charge”, this meant that you could not charge the “accessories”, so these other policemen. <---- That is MN state law.

We know how court cases go sometimes and sometimes, we are not pleased with the actual outcome. There have been a number of court cases that have been that way.

How soon does this go to court? Will the trial even happen this year?

Too, I’d think Federal civil rights violations could be a charge on the National or Federal level.

Adding on, it seems there may well be police “Body Cam” film footage of this… video footage…

2 Likes

elements of 2nd degree murder in most jurisdictions means one or more of three elements:

Intent to kill without premeditation: example, at that moment of the killing; the killer definitely intends to kill, but had no plan to kill before that.
Intent to cause serious bodily harm but knows that death could result: example, whack someone in the head to cause serious bodily harm, but knows that such an action could result in death.
Extreme indifference to the value of human life: example, wave a gun around and indiscriminately fire into a crowd.

Not sure how MN’s 2nd degree murder code differs from that, if there are differences. The first one would be hard to prove, but the second and the third might be easier.

There is no path for a 1st degree murder charge: would have to prove premeditation beforehand and that is a bridge too far.

Remember it’s the prosecutor’s burden to prove the necessary elements of the charge for a conviction to occur.

These riots stopped being about George Floyd a long time ago.

I don’t think these riots were ever just about “George Floyd”, in that they were about one person or one killing.

Murders like that of Floyd have happened before, and they will happen again before long.

This is what I think they can get him on.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.