Three Positive Signs for Obama's Re-Election Chances

gallup.com/fvideo.aspx?i=H5WWIzp90Mw-Sm2xw5NZkgaa

Worth considering. I think with all the fighting we have going on in the GOP primary process, Obama remains the favorite to win next November.

He has a 47% approval rating, which really shocks me…and Bush had similar approval ratings at this time in the process and he obviously won re-election.

We will see how things look after the GOP gets a firm candidate, but right now it does not look very good. Sadly.

Further complicating this is the fact that Romney looks like the likely candidate and I am guessing he will not poll any higher than McCain, so the election will be tighter, but will more than likely end with the same outcome as the last election.

With the pain this nation has suffered, Obama’s approval should be in the 30s, the fact that it is so high really tells the tale for the next election since so many people just do not blame Obama for the nation’s troubles.

More to think about:

fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/01/28/approval-ratings-and-re-election-odds/

Right. I think many people outside CAF at least probably don’t blame Obama entirely for our nations troubles. They remember the mess he inherited. And they don’t blame him for everything and then at the same time not give him any credit when there is any good news. Economically the nation has a long ways to go but I heard the other day no incumbant has not been reelected when the unemployment rate was TRENDING downward. Not sure if that’s true or not but that’s what I heard. It seems to have more to do with the trend, not the actual rate. And of course this wk the trend was down.

I think too he recently has been convincing more voters that the GOP Congress has been unwilling to work with him. And while it’s of course been done, add to the mix that it’s not the easiest thing to defeat an incumbant, and Obama definitely has a chance. Bush’s popularity was waning by the time 04 came around and he eeked out a win over John Kerry.

I think it’s going to be another close one this yr. The American electorate remains polarized. Many people actually like President Obama personally too. So I’m not certain the views espoused by the majority here are necessarily representative of the American electorate on the whole. Could go either way.

Of course not. Many voters DO understand that the housing boom and bust were the direct result of Bush’s 8 years. As were two wars in the middle east. As was the prolonged recession that resulted from Bush’s economic policies. :coffeeread:

And it was the GOP, not Obama, who turned Congress into a gigantic game of “chicken” over the budget and debt ceiling. Voters DO understand this sort of thing. :shrug:

Never mind Obama’s approval ratings. Have you seen the ratings for Congress?:eek:

I agree with you.

Though Obama hasn’t been perfect I do hope for his re-election. It is good to see the GOP worried.

Exactly.

Great to see you support abortion :rolleyes:

:thumbsup: And of course he hasn’t been perfect. Who is?

You’ve got the wrong guy, sir/ma’am. :slight_smile:

Having read Ringil’s posts before I’m 100% certain he does not support abortion. I just think he’s not a one issue voter as many aren’t.

:tsktsk: :tsktsk : :tsktsk: Again, CAFers are attributing words and opinions that were never said nor implied :tsktsk: :tsktsk: :tsktsk:

does obama support abortion or gay marriage?

I believe that he supports both.

Of course. Any other straw dummies you feel the need the set up:rolleyes:

Again: I have never met a Catholic who voted Democrat BECAUSE of their support of abortion and gay marriage. I have met many Catholics who have voted Democrat IN SPITE OF abortion and gay marriage.

Because they have heeded the USCCB admonition that we are not to be one issue voters:tsktsk:

Because they support the majority of the Democratic Platform:shrug:

Because, apart from abortion, they find little in the GOP platform to support:dts:

Because they know the word “intrinsic” does not mean “infinite”

Because they are grownups, and spell the name as “Obama”, not “obama”

Well said.

One argument you’ll never hear, but its the same as what BVM 1221 said above:

“I have never met a catholic who voted for racist KKK candidate who supports lynchings BECAUSE of his racist politics. I have met many catholics who voted for the racist KKK candidate who supports lynchings IN SPITE OF his racist politics.”

Ishii

Oh, you don’t support it, you just keep those who support it in office. Big distinction.

Ishii

You certainly wasted no time invoking the shibboleth.

Here is your party guys:

the Senate was debating whether to ban partial-birth abortion, Santorum asked two pro-choice senators opposed to the ban, Russ Feingold, D-Wis., and Frank Lautenberg, D-N.J., this: Suppose the baby slips out of the birth canal before it can be killed. Should killing it even then be a permissible choice? Neither senator would say no.

Read more: billingsgazette.com/news/opinion/editorial/columnists/george_will/george-f-will-iowa-gives-santorum-s-campaign-momentum/article_3ce7b1e4-4e51-5ef0-b221-5e80ffe74a11.html#ixzz1itmeyc56

***Santorum: Because we are talking about a situation here where the baby is almost born. So I ask the question of the senator from California, if the baby was born except for the baby’s foot, if the baby’s foot was inside the mother but the rest of the baby was outside, could that baby be killed?

Boxer: I am not answering these questions! I am not answering these questions.***

(from an exchange between DEmocrat senator Barbara Boxer and Rick Santorum)

nrlc.org/abortion/pba/notansweringboxersantorum.html

and, Obama’s Secretary of HHS Kathleen Sebelius at a NARAL lobby:

*** “We’ve come a long way in women’s health over the last few decades, but we are in a war.”***

So, Ringil, Cmatt, and BVM 1221, what do you think of your party which can’t say they are against partial birth abortion. Which side are you on in Obama’s and Sebelius’ war?

Ishii

It could still go either way IMO… Intrade has him at just over 50% to win re-election (here) and it’s hovered around that for a while now so it’s still anybody’s guess. Between what should be common sense on one end and the tired bumper sticker slogans of the Obamapologists on the other, that’s just the reality of it. Also a lot can happen between now and November, and the general public has a pretty short attention span.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.