Three questions about confession

Hi all. I have three questions concerning confession that I hope somebody can answer.

1. let’s suppose that one of the sins confessed is theft of money. If the priest does not tell you that you need to make restitution for it…do you? If you are given 5 Hail Mary’s and 5 Our Father’s as your penance, does it stop there if he didn’t tell you that you needed to repay it?

2. is the priest’s absolution contingent upon you completing the penance assigned - whatever it might be?

3. approximately when did private confession come into practice?

THANKS!

Hi all. I have three questions concerning confession that I hope somebody can answer.

1. let’s suppose that one of the sins confessed is theft of money. If the priest does not tell you that you need to make restitution for it…do you? If you are given 5 Hail Mary’s and 5 Our Father’s as your penance, does it stop there if he didn’t tell you that you needed to repay it?

Yes…on has to make restitution even if the priest does not mention it.

1. is the priest’s absolution contingent upon you completing the penance assigned - whatever it might be?

if one intends to do the penance…the absolution is valid…at the moment it is given…but if one later deliberately does not do it…when one can…it is a sin

1. approximately when did private confession come into practice?

the seventh century …so far as it being spread by Irish Monks…but this does not mean that private confessions did not happen prior to this…

Yes…on has to make restitution even if the priest does not mention it.

that can not be the pennance, the priest can recommend it but anything that can break the seal of confession may not be the penance. like if a murderer confessed the priest can’t say, “you need to turn yourself in and that is the penance that i will give you”

1. is the priest’s absolution contingent upon you completing the penance assigned - whatever it might be?

if one intends to do the penance…the absolution is valid…at the moment it is given…but if one later deliberately does not do it…when one can…it is a sin

the seventh century …so far as it being spread by Irish Monks…but this does not mean that private confessions did not happen prior to this…

regardless of when, it still is not an option…

[Hi all. I have three questions concerning confession that I hope somebody can answer.

[COLOR=“Red”]Yes…on has to make restitution even if the priest does not mention it.

that can not be the pennance, the priest can recommend it but anything that can break the seal of confession may not be the penance. like if a murderer confessed the priest can’t say, “you need to turn yourself in and that is the penance that i will give you”

It is part of the very nature of things…one has to do restitution for stollen things…

Catechism: 2412 In virtue of commutative justice, reparation for injustice committed requires the restitution of stolen goods to their owner:

Jesus blesses Zacchaeus for his pledge: "If I have defrauded anyone of anything, I restore it fourfold."192 Those who, directly or indirectly, have taken possession of the goods of another, are obliged to make restitution of them, or to return the equivalent in kind or in money, if the goods have disappeared, as well as the profit or advantages their owner would have legitimately obtained from them. Likewise, all who in some manner have taken part in a theft or who have knowingly benefited from it - for example, those who ordered it, assisted in it, or received the stolen goods - are obliged to make restitution in proportion to their responsibility and to their share of what was stolen.

Though at it is possible for this to be secret…or if not possible to be made to the person it was stolen from…in other ways perhaps…talk with ones confessor

regardless of when, it still is not an option…

Not sure what you mean here? this was a different question…I am sure you agree that private confession is right

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.