Three quick LOTH questions

My children have grown up, my work is more stable, I am more stable, and so, it is with great joy, that I am returning to the Liturgy of the Hours. Deo Gratias! :smiley:

1. When I said it in a group previously we used to say the “gloria” after each psalm, but now I can’t see this in the book. Is it correct to say the gloria after each psalm (or any other place than is actually written as “Glory be…”).

2. What week and day are we up to (Wed 18/8/2010)?

3. Is there a patron saint for the LOTH who I can petition for fidelity (and common sense :slight_smile: ), with this devotion,

Thankyou,

Edmundus

(To keep this brief I will not acknowledge responses, unless there is an issue, but, THANKYOU!)

Yes, unless otherwise noted. (cf. the rubric following Psalm 140(141), Sunday I Evening Prayer I)

Unless Australia or another local calendar inserts a particular celebration, Wed 18-Aug-2010 is Wednesday of the XX week of Ordinary Time.

tee

Done. Thankyou!

Unless Australia or another local calendar inserts a particular celebration, Wed 18-Aug-2010 is Wednesday of the XX week of Ordinary Time.

Sorry, my bad. Which of the four weeks in the cycle are we in?

Just to expand on that, it is after every Psalm and Canticle with the sole (as far as I know) exception of the long version of Daniel (“Bless the Lord all you works of the Lord…”, it’s on Sunday mornings in Weeks I and III), which has it’s own sort of ending.

That would be Wednesday in the 20th Week of Ordinary time (so week VI in the 4 week Psalter). There’s a full year calendar for Australia you can look at here (you can also download a calendar for a software calendar).

I guess you could try St. Benedict, who wrote the Rule that is followed by most monks (who have reciting the Office as an integral part of their daily routines), or even St. Paul (who told us to pray without ceasing).

Thankyou, Curly. I think you mean “Week IV”, not “VI”. I’ve confirmed that with the liturgical calendar (Australia) you linked

I like St Paul - “Pray without ceasing”

Sorry, you’re right. I got my Roman numerals mixed up.

I’m curious, what does that rubric say? There is no rubric for that psalm in the French LOTH that I use.

In my CP it says “All psalms and canticles are concluded with the Glory to the Father unless otherwise indicated”.

Thanks. I think must be in the General Instructions in the French version, it isn’t mentioned on Sun 1 where you pointed it out.

The rubric really ought to be there, to be true to the editio typica:
Hic versus Gloria Patri de more dicitur in fine omnium psalmorum et canticorum, nisi alitur notetur.

Perhaps it is in the Ordinary? (Which is where I would have put it, but no one consulted me :slight_smile: )

I looked in the General Instruction last night and failed to find it, but there it is this morning (mea culpa):

1. At the beginning of each psalm its own antiphon is always to be recited, as
    noted in nos. 113-120. At the end of the psalm the practice of concluding with
    the Glory to the Father and As it was in the beginning is retained. This is the
    fitting conclusion endorsed by tradition and it gives to Old Testament prayer a
    note of praise and a Christological and Trinitarian sense. The antiphon may be
    repeated at the end of the psalm.

2. When longer psalms occur, sections are marked in the psalter that divide
    the parts in such a way as to keep the threefold structure of the hour; but
    great care has been taken not to distort the meaning of the psalm.
    It is useful to observe this division, especially in a choral celebration in
    Latin; the Glory to the Father is added at the end of each section.

It is permissible, however, either to keep this traditional way or to pause
between the different sections of the same psalm or to recite the whole psalm
and its antiphon as a single unit without a break.

1. In addition, when the literary genre of a psalm suggests it, the divisions
    into strophes are marked in order that, especially when the psalm is sung in the
    vernacular, the antiphons may be repeated after each strophe; in this case the
    Glory to the Father need be said only at the end of the psalm.

tee

It might only be in the first volume. I use the 4-volume set; as I am traveling a the moment I only have the current volume (III) with me. It has “concordat cum originali” so it is faithful to the Editio Typica at least officially. It isn’t in the ordinary (which is where I would have put it as well; but like you I wasn’t consulted :D)

PS.
Already answered, I know. But you can always find the Psalter week by dividing the seasonal week by 4 and noting the remainder: Remainder 1, Week I; 2, Week II; 3, Week III; remainder 0, Week IV. This is week XX (20); 20 / 4 has remainder 0; Week IV – Ta-da! :tada:
And NB: Lent begins with a “0th week”, from Ash Wednesday until the following Saturday.

tee

The rubric is in all four volumes of the US English edition after the first Psalm of Sunday Evening Prayer I week I. In any case, the sole exception is the Canticle of the Three Young Men during Morning Prayer of Sundays Weeks I and III, as well as during Feasts and Solemnities (which always use Sunday Week I psalms and canticle for Morning Prayer).

Funny that the French and English versions are different. I never paid much attention to it. As I learned the ropes for the LOTH in a Benedictine abbey, the rubric was familiar through practice.

There’s another exception to the Gloria Patri after psalms but this applies only to the monastic Office: the last 3 psalms of Lauds (148, 149 and 150) are said under one antiphon, and the Gloria Patri is only said after the last psalm.

Ah, it also resides in the Ordinary, but only noted after the Benedictus of the Morning Prayer, after you would have been called upon to pray it 3 times already :wink:

Can someone help me?

Ive noticed on certain feasts EG The Common of One Martyr, they only give one Antiphon for ‘Prayer During The Day’.

In cases like these do we just recite the Antiphon at the beginning of the first Psalm and at the end of the last? Do we still say the Glory be at the end of each Psalm (or Psalm section, since most Prayer During the Day are one psalm sliced into three.)

Also, where do we get the psalms from? Since most feasts are Sunday Wk I, do we use the prayer during the day from there also?

Hope my question makes sense.

Yes. The GILH also allows you to say an entire psalm, ignoring the division into sections.

Also, where do we get the psalms from? Since most feasts are Sunday Wk I, do we use the prayer during the day from there also?

Hope my question makes sense.

From the General Instruction - your one stop solution to all queries!

1. …At daytime prayer on solemnities (except those already mentioned and those falling on Sunday) the psalms are taken from the Gradual Psalms; at daytime prayer on feasts the psalms are those of the current week and day of the psalter.

(For Solemnities)
229. At daytime prayer, the hymn of the weekday is used, unless other directions are given. The psalms are from the Gradual Psalms with a proper antiphon. On Sundays the psalms are taken from the Sunday of Week I of the four-week psalter and the short reading and concluding prayer are proper. But on certain solemnities of the Lord there are special psalms.

(For Feasts:)

1. At daytime prayer, the hymn of the weekday is used. The weekday psalms with their antiphons are said, unless a special reason or tradition requires a proper antiphon; this will be indicated as the case occurs. The reading and concluding prayer are proper.

(For memorials)
236. At daytime prayer and night prayer, all is from the weekday and nothing is from the office of the saint.

For mid-day prayer, if there is only one antiphon, you say the antiphon before the first psalm, and after the last Gloria Patri. You say the Gloria Patri after each psalm, but if you are chanting, you only do the intonation at the first psalm.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.