'Through/by whom all things were made"

What person of the Trinity does this line of the Nicene Creed refer to? Does it refer to the Father or the Son.

And in one Lord Jesus Christ, the only-begotten Son of God, begotten of the Father before all worlds, God of God, Light of Light, Very God of Very God, begotten, not made, being of one substance with the Father by whom all things were made;

It also often says “through whom all things were made”. I know that all things were made through Christ as it says in John1.

Your version I am not familiar with

And in one Lord Jesus Christ, the only-begotten Son of God, begotten of the Father before all worlds, God of God, Light of Light, Very God of Very God, begotten, not made, being of one substance with the Father by whom all things were made;

This is the one I am more familiar with.

We believe in one Lord, Jesus Christ,
the only Son of God,
eternally begotten of the Father,
God from God, Light from Light,
true God from true God,
begotten, not made,
of one Being with the Father
Through him all things were made.

It doesn’t matter to your question because they say the same thing. In both version it modifies Father. So the answer to your question is that it refers to God the Father who is the creator as it states at the begining of the Creed.

We believe in one God,
the Father, the Almighty,
maker of heaven and earth,
of all that is, seen and unseen.

It also often says “through whom all things were made”. I know that all things were made through Christ as it says in John1.

Would you please give me the exact verse? I

[quote=Ann Cheryl]Your version I am not familiar with
This is the one I am more familiar with.
[/quote]

I actually didn’t read through it real carefully, I jsut typed in Nicene creed into the search engine and cut and pasted.

It doesn’t matter to your question because they say the same thing. In both version it modifies Father. So the answer to your question is that it refers to God the Father who is the creator as it states at the begining of the Creed.

Would you please give me the exact verse? I

This is John 1;3 in the NAB.

All things came to be through him, and without him nothing came to be.

In the Douay Rheims

All things were made by him: and without him was made nothing that was made.

I think it says something like that in either 1Corinthians or Romans. I can’t remember.

I always took the him in through him all things were made to refer to Jesus. Jesus is who is being talked about in that section of the creed. The very next line, For us men and for our salvation he…is clearly Jesus too. It also talks about Jesus right before it, with Begotten, not made.

For similar bible verses to the one you mention in John, see Heb 1:2 or Col 1:16

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

2 He was in the beginning with God. 3 3 All things came to be through him, and without him nothing came to be. What came to be 4 through him was life, and this life was the light of the human race; 5

The preceding versus are telling us that Jesus is God. They are not trying to tell us the “functions” of each Person. At this point, the Holy Spirit is still hidden. What is being revealed/taught is that Jesus is God.

The Son is the one through whom all things were made.

From the Catechism:

291 "In the beginning was the Word. . . and the Word was God. . . all things were made through him, and without him was not anything made that was made."129 The New Testament reveals that God created everything by the eternal Word, his beloved Son. In him "all things were created, in heaven and on earth… . all things were created through him and for him. He is before all things, and in him all things hold together."130 The Church’s faith likewise confesses the creative action of the Holy Spirit, the “giver of life”, “the Creator Spirit” (Veni, Creator Spiritus), the “source of every good”.131

Note that in Genesis "God said, ‘Let there be light’ and there was light." Now Jesus is the Word. So, when God spoke Jesus must have been involved. :twocents:

1 Corinthians 8:6

“Yet for us there is one God, the Father, from whom are all things and for whom we exist, and one Lord, Jesus Christ, through whom are all things and through whom we exist.”

[quote=jimmy]What person of the Trinity does this line of the Nicene Creed refer to? Does it refer to the Father or the Son.

[/quote]

The Latin “per quem omnia facta sunt…” qualifies “Et in unum Dominum Iesum Christum…” - so it refers to Christ.

There should be a comma after “Father”: that would reflect the meaning of the Latin - and of the Greek underlying it - without ambiguity.

[quote=jimmy]What person of the Trinity does this line of the Nicene Creed refer to? Does it refer to the Father or the Son.

[/quote]

The Latin “per quem omnia facta sunt…” qualifies “Et in unum Dominum Iesum Christum…” - so it refers to Christ.

There should be a comma after “Father”: that would reflect the meaning of the Latin - and of the Greek underlying it - without ambiguity. ##

closed #12

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.