"Through no fault of their own"

I would encourage you, rather, to not concern yourself with “what most people believe” but with what Holy Mother Church teaches us infallibly on the matter.
catholic.com/library/salvation.asp

Ack. :frowning:

I’m glad you’re not attending their RCIA any more, and I hope you will soon be able to find a parish that teaches what the Church teaches.

Don’t give up on the Church. But do give that particular parish a rest, and look for something better. (Yes, good parishes do exist. I go to one, and I know of many in my Diocese.)

Here is a good test for your next RCIA: bring a copy of the Catechism of the Catholic Church with you to the class, and see what the reaction is from the leaders.

If they say, “Oh, good for you - you have a Catechism!” then you have found your RCIA.

If, however, they try in any way to discourage you from having it or reading it, then don’t waste any more time with them, but move on to the next parish.

Hi Rhonda,

You had a problem with “sincerity”. I don’t think I said or implied that we are saved by “sincerity”. We are saved by God “who wants all men to be saved”.

God saves us in consideration of the merits of Jesus Christ who died for all men. To benefit from this salvation, he has decided that we must belong to the Catholic Church, in actual fact or in spirit.

What does “in spirit” mean? It means that an individual who is a Muslim, for example, has such a relationship with God (“sincerity”) that if he knew the Catholic Church is the true Church willed by God, he would belong to it.

Does this make more sense to you?

Verbum

Oy.

Might I suggest that you send a letter or e-mail to the bishop of your diocese and let him know exactly what you’re being “taught” in your former RCIA class? I would hope he’d be interested in stamping out heresy. Does your parish’s priest know about these teachings or is he party to them? (I fervently hope he’s ignorant of the whole situation… if so, he should be enlightened!!)

Better yet, ask your catechists to come to Catholic Answers and discuss their teachings here. :wink:

But yes, as PPs have said, please do find another parish, if you can.

Good luck to you on your journey!

I don’t quite get verbum’s response, so I’m not sure what you mean by how they fit. All I know for sure is this, Faith is necessary for Salvation, and that is why we are called as catholics to spread this word. Today was Mission Sunday, we had a priest from PIME missions speak at our parish. When he was twenty years old he heard the calling after hearing a missionary speak of spreading the word of God to all ends of the earth. He was ordained to the priesthood in 1956 and became a PIME missionary.I thought of you and this topic when he was speaking. He spoke of trudging through jungles for 28 days straight to get to tribes of people who had never heard the Word, crossing rain swollen rivers up to there necks deep, he was scared. BUT he knew that he had been called to this by the Lord and he had to get to these people. So I guess my conclusion to his homily was this, Yes there are those who will be saved without knowing, Through no fault of their own…But…how is it we can help so that they will know? Now I’m not suggesting that we all go off and tramp through a jungle, but as it says in 2 Peter 2:20-21It is better not to know the Gospel than to know it and turn away. So now we know and we are bound by this obligation. Back to what I said before, for those who have been given much, much is expected. We must continue to spread the Word, for how much better it is to know than to not know.

Thanks, Verbum, for trying to clear it up for me. I see that I missunderstood the specific meaning of “sincerity” in your first post. I’m not sure I track with you still, but I’m taking it all in.

I actually spoke to the priest about the issues I had. He said that his parish was a more liberal parish and that sometimes people get a little to excited. He didn’t try and refute anything. That’s when I decided it was time to move on. It’s troubling because this is a large parish.

I spoke with my priest about this, his response, the conscience can only be your guide if it has been informed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.