Through our Lord?

What do we , Catholics, mean when we say through him?
I do know that by the Word, we are talking about our lord and savior, Jesus Christ.

I just want to know what “through him” means in this context. Please and thank you!

An e.g. is John 1 : 1
" In the was the Word,
and the Word was with God,
and the Word was God.
2 He was in the beginning with God.
3 things came to be through him,
and without him nothing came to be."

I believe you can replace “through” with the word “by”.

Jn 1:3‘All things were made by him: and without him was made nothing that was made.’

1 Like

COMMENTARY ON THE GOSPEL OF ST. JOHN St. Thomas Aquinas Lectures 1 & 2 which starts at #23 and ends at #94

The fact that Jesus was in the beginning is in the OT. There is a verse in one of the books to the effect that Jesus played amongst God’s creation. However, it is not expressly manifest; more so, it is implied.

AS GOD’s WORD …

CONSIDER FROM GENESIS HOW GOD’S WORD CREATES…

In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.

Now the earth was formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep,
and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters.

And God said, — “Let there be light,” ---- and there was light.

In English the expression “through someone” means that without the action of that person the end effect could not have been achieved.
Therefore Through Jesus everything can be accomplished, without HIM we could achieve nothing.

3 Likes

Another possible understanding is that Jesus Christ is the bridge between God and his creation. The Father is in heaven, infinitely far away, but Jesus, as the Word which was made flesh (John 1:14), is in creation as he is in the Father, (John 14:20) and is therefore the perfect mediator. Therefore, “All things came to be through him” (John 1:3).

Edited to add: Similarly, our prayers are heard and answered “through Christ our Lord.”

2 Likes

However, when looking at John in a bit more context:

We know from Jesus that He was with His Father Before Creation…

" Father, glorify me in your presence with the glory I had with you before the world began. "

" Father, I want those you have given me to be with me where I am, and to see my glory, the glory you have given me because you loved me before the creation of the world. "

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
He was with God in the beginning.
Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made.

We don’t see a Bridge, per se -
Rather, a “bridge” could easily be more recognized as being God’s Holy Spirit,

Rather - we see an inter-wovenness of Persons… with Jesus the Word manifestion of the Father

God… The WORD of God… The Spirit of God

WORD? Again, this Creative WORD “Let there be Light!” - And that WORD Created Light.

Yes, I get all that, but I’m thinking that since the Resurrection, Christ is eternally God and man, transcending time and therefore “retroactively” present as Word made flesh before creation. It’s a bit like a time-travel paradox.

Or perhaps as Eternity

• whereby one views Space-Time in a more 3D Past to the Present to the Future manner…
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.